PDA

View Full Version : Dubai: skyline looks awsome

podarum
Feb 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
I knew Dubai was a 'growing" city, but $%@#:omg: is it ever growing.. The skyline from the Dubai Classic looks really amazing.. Need to go there somehow.

http://cache.betting.betfair.com/golf/Quiros%20in%20Dubai.jpg

tickyboy
Feb 13, 2011, 01:53 PM
It's near the top of my MUST VISIT places of the world. Absolutely awesome

Weirfan
Feb 13, 2011, 02:12 PM
Not sure if the problems have been rectified but there were significant problems in Dubai construction.

Many companies who were contracted the work were not being paid, UK construction companies alone were owed over 1/2 a billion $.

most of the construction was halted and incomplete and the whole thing was a mess. I believe that even Tiger's golf course build was cancelled.

There was a huge bailout so nit sure it fixed things ?

In any event one of the destinations I am considering for my 50th birthday getaway

scottypro
Feb 13, 2011, 02:19 PM
Aren't canadians on a black list to travel to that country? Need a visa or something?

Bellyhungry
Feb 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
Over rated as a travel destination.
Might head over here later on in October - work-related.

racmbs
Feb 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
Over rated as a travel destination.

Yup, my cousin is an Engineer stationed in Dubai and he's said aside from the nice weather, it's nothing overly exciting that's worth spending the money to travel and visit.

Lefty17
Feb 13, 2011, 05:38 PM
It's near the top of my MUST VISIT places of the world. Absolutely awesome

It's up there on mine as well.. Probably tops.

hbassi
Feb 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have a couple of friends who use to work in finance there. They say it is a ghost town now, since they 'almost' defaulted on their debt. A lot of people have left and most of those buildings are condos who were bought as investments but are under water and vacant.

I do give them credit for trying to diversify their economy. But its not looking to good right now.

podarum
Feb 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
I watched a documentary a while back (I think it was CBC) and this investor went and bought land (Palm homes, etc.) in Dubai, kept it for 2 or 3 years and sold... and then he'd head back to Canada or China, spend it, lose it, whatever.. and when he needed to replenish his cash or investments, he'd head over to Dubai and do the cyclel all over again... that was 7, 8 years ago. Now the real estate market in Dubai is over saturated with investors and new unsold buildings.

Big Shooter
Feb 13, 2011, 08:43 PM
1. Everyone in the crowd at these tournaments in 'Arabia' are anything BUT Arabian!?
2. WHY do they need SO MUCH office space? Are Wall Street & High Street gonna move there!!??:cookoo::confused:

pudubny
Feb 16, 2011, 07:51 PM
It is a city full of contradictions, diversity and confusion.
Wonderful for those with money, others might think about going elsewhere. Abu Dabi is naturally beautiful but the city of Dubai is strange. A tax free haven for certain and money can be made but living there has its limitations.
On the surface piety reigns but the city has a very seedy and non-religious underworld.

My take.
Pud

forgedblade
Feb 16, 2011, 08:06 PM
Absolutely no desire to go there. I don't find anything about a skyline that attractive, to be honest.

To each their own.