PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods fined for spitting on green

Pages : [1] 2

racmbs
Feb 14, 2011, 11:16 AM
As much as I love Tiger for what he's brought to the game, this has been a sticking point for me for quite some time with him, and can't for the life of me understand what's going through his mind when he does this.

It's about time they fine him, and hope they keep coming after him for it as it has to stop.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/article/938371--tiger-woods-fined-for-spitting-on-green?bn=1

Golden Bear
Feb 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
It's a smear job. Tiger was framed. The real spitter was Roger McDowell, up on the gravelly road.

AlfaGolfer
Feb 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
It is a disgusting habit for sure. :thumbs_do

unskinnybop99
Feb 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
Surprised someone like Tiger with lots of tournament experience would do something like this? The commentator kept saying how a spit could actually interfere with a putt.

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
It's about time they fine him, and hope they keep coming after him for it as it has to stop.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/article/938371--tiger-woods-fined-for-spitting-on-green?bn=1

never noticed that it was habitual..is it something unique to him?

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 11:39 AM
Surprised someone like Tiger with lots of tournament experience would do something like this? The commentator kept saying how a spit could actually interfere with a putt.
under the rules of golf can you tamp down a loogey or is that improving the line?

Pubknight
Feb 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
Was about to make a thread on this...
Was the issue that he spit on the green?
During the AT&T final round, almost every time the camera was on Steve Marino he would spit, and no one said anything.

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 11:55 AM
During the AT&T final round, almost every time the camera was on Steve Marino he would spit, and no one said anything.
i think the issue was that the commentator made a big deal out of it

racmbs
never noticed that it was habitual..is it something unique to him?

He's done it way too many times, and am surprised it's taken this long for him to be fined for it.

Now mind you he hasn't done it on the greens that I've seen up until yesterday, but even off/around the greens is annoying as hell.

racmbs

Exactly

Golden Bear
Feb 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
To be honest, until I heard about the scandalous spit yesterday, I'd never noticed Tiger spitting before. But then I went on YouTube to try to find the incident in question and discovered a highlight reel of Tiger spitting over the years.

I've never understood why people sometimes feel the need to spit. How much extra saliva can you have?

Sergio got fined a year or two ago for spitting, though his spit was worse -- he spit in the cup.

Golden Bear
Feb 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
Here we are ...

Tiger Woods' Greatest Spits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz63quZnSjA&feature=related

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
and the didn't even tamp it down with his putter afterwards....

bwield
Feb 14, 2011, 11:58 AM

I am not sure its an actual rule, rather it was deemed to be against the code of conduct and decency.

Has the PGA ever issued a similar fine? I doubt that this is the first time Woods has done it, or any other PGA player for that matter.

golfingoalie
Feb 14, 2011, 12:03 PM
and the didn't even tamp it down with his putter afterwards....

Would you tamp down your own loogie with your own putter? Remind me never loan you my putter if you ever pop a loogie while in my foursome :D

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 12:06 PM
Would you tamp down your own loogie with your own putter? Remind me never loan you my putter if you ever pop a loogie while in my foursome :D
you though i was just being courteous when i picked up your wedge....:rofl::rofl:

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
I am not sure its an actual rule, rather it was deemed to be against the code of conduct and decency.

Has the PGA ever issued a similar fine? I doubt that this is the first time Woods has done it, or any other PGA player for that matter.

old discussion:

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=1242

hammy1983
Feb 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have my own opinion on this but it seems this fine didnt need to be made public as I am sure he has been fined before. Seems like the european tour might be trying to send a message and maybe keep him from coming back.

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have my own opinion on this but it seems this fine didnt need to be made public as I am sure he has been fined before. Seems like the european tour might be trying to send a message and maybe keep him from coming back.

you think they are betting he can't win/dominate again?

ace in the hazard
Feb 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
under the rules of golf can you tamp down a loogey or is that improving the line?

When the ball is on the putting-green, the player or his caddie may remove (but not press down) sand, earth, dung, worm-casts, mole-hills, snow, or ice lying around the hole or in the line of his putt. This shall be done by brushing lightly with the hand only across the putt and not along it. Dung may be removed by a club, but the club must not be laid with more than its own weight upon the ground.

since it's not dung, i think you'd have to use your hand :hush:

Tanner
Feb 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
To be honest, until I heard about the scandalous spit yesterday, I'd never noticed Tiger spitting before. But then I went on YouTube to try to find the incident in question and discovered a highlight reel of Tiger spitting over the years.

I've never understood why people sometimes feel the need to spit. How much extra saliva can you have?

Sergio got fined a year or two ago for spitting, though his spit was worse -- he spit in the cup.

It may not have anything to do with extra saliva. I would say in this case it's more about the sand he probably had in his mouth after hitting a couple shots from the desert/bunkers and being sprayed with sand. I agree spitting on the green doesn't exactly scream proper etiquette.

Weirfan
Feb 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
He's done it way too many times, and am surprised it's taken this long for him to be fined for it.

Finchem has no balz to bite the hand that feeds, or once fed him......

On the PGA circuit Tiger would have to take a big dump on the course to get in trouble......wait a minute he has done that his last 2 final rounds:rofl:

even then Finchem would be out there with a plastic baggy cleaning up after him and likely with e few baby wipes in hand as well:rolleyes:

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
since it's not dung, i think you'd have to use your hand :hush: thats when a caddy earns his money

hbassi
Feb 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
Definately was stupid of tiger to do it. Also I was watching it when it happened. He did it out of frustration for sure. The round was going south and he was out of contention.

But there was a lot of guys spitting that tourny, because of the windy conditions pushing sand on to the course. None of them though spit on the green like tiger that I saw though.

Eurotour doesn't want Tiger on their Tour? Are you kidding me. I dont have the stats on hand but he must be right beside jack or some guy from the 20's for Open championships.

Lefty17
Feb 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
Glad they fined him... that's it for me.

Tanner
Feb 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
Finchem has no balz to bite the hand that feeds ( or once fed him)......

On the PGA circuit Tiger would have to take a big dump on the course to get in trouble......wait a minute he has done that his last 2 final rounds:rofl:

even then Finchem would be out there with a plastic baggy cleaning up after him and likely with e few baby wipes in hand as well:rolleyes:

You really think tiger has never been fined for his language, outbursts etc on the PGA tour? You can guarantee he was fined for swearing and smashing his club just a couple weeks ago at Torrey pines. The PGA/Tim Finchem don't disclose who and when they fine, unlike the European tour who make it public record. I agree maybe tiger does get special treatment sometimes because of what he has done for the PGA tour but when his swearing and temper tantrums are seen on TV you can bet he is getting his wrists slapped just like any other player.

mpare
Feb 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
Will Tiger have Sergio represent him? He's the expert on this issue.

Bellyhungry
Feb 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
If I recall correctly, neither the PGA Tour nor the European Tour in general do not disclose who gets fined and how much.

I wonder what the motivation is for the European Tour to go public. And I think the fine could be as ridiculous as a few hundred bucks.

Anyhow, I am intrigued by this paragraph:

The tour’s code of conduct states that when a player becomes a member, he “voluntarily submits himself to standards of behaviour and ethical conduct beyond those required of ordinary golfers and members of the public.”

Is Tiger a member of the European Tour?

Pingnut
Feb 14, 2011, 01:10 PM
Maybe it's a local rule - only in Dubai.

Aren't these guys sucking in dust with every breath over there? I'm sure most of them were spitting it back out.

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 01:22 PM
yes..i think under some special exception like all Open championship winners

mpare
Feb 14, 2011, 01:23 PM
I suspect that he is since he appears on their site's player's list.

OldGeezer
Feb 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
I met a fellow a couple of years ago, who was retired from USGA, and he told me that Tiger was the most fined player on the PGA Tour for his antics, week after week! Unfortunately, it is not publicized, as it sets a terrible example for young people to see, and not know there is a price to pay!

Bellyhungry
Feb 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
I suspect that he is since he appears on their site's player's list.

But I thought you will have to play like 10+ events. Then again, if you add the 4 majors, the WGCs, etc, he does meet their minimal requirements.

Now back to my first question, why would the European Tour decide to make this public contrary to their general policy?

Bern
Feb 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
Now if he would only get fined for slamming and throwing his clubs I would be happy.

racmbs
Feb 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
Now if he would only get fined for slamming and throwing his clubs I would be happy.

Then Woods would be in fine company as their are plenty of off-air slams and tosses we don't see, as those players are sadly not as highly televised.

Bellyhungry
Feb 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
From his tweet:

The Euro Tour is right – it was inconsiderate to spit like that and I know better. Just wasn’t thinking and want to say I’m sorry.

Followed by:

Everyone was terrific all week, fans especially. Dubai is always a fantastic host. Just wish the week could have ended better.

Bern
Feb 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
Then Woods would be in fine company as their are plenty of off-air slams and tosses we don't see, as those players are sadly not as highly televised.

Of course there are others, it doesn't mean it should be condoned. I for one am tired of seeing giant marks on tee decks where some one slammed their iron or driver. Even worse is the obvious putter slam on the greens.

Sadly monkee see, monkey do.

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 03:23 PM
i think i need to play better courses...i've never noticed those marks.

racmbs
Feb 14, 2011, 03:24 PM
Of course there are others, it doesn't mean it should be condoned. I for one am tired of seeing giant marks on tee decks where some one slammed their iron or driver. Even worse is the obvious putter slam on the greens.

Sadly monkee see, monkey do.

Oh I agree....

Bellyhungry
Feb 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Kids these days are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

There are a lot worse things they learn from their parents than they learn from some golfers spitting on the greens.

We should stop using kids as our pawn to back up our arguments on some web forums.

Richd
Feb 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
We should stop using kids as our pawn to back up our arguments on some web forums.
they use it in parliament too

xrox
Feb 14, 2011, 04:21 PM
We should stop using kids as our pawn to back up our arguments on some web forums.+1 so true.

Personally when watching pro golf I like some anger on the course as it shows me they are trying hard and expect more of themselves even when playing very poorly. I'd much much rather some negative emotion or anger than a happy smile and wave as they mail it in.

That being said it really does suck playing with an angry golfer so I try and never take it too seriously when I'm on the course.

What I really don't like when watching pro golf is players verbally abusing their caddies, or in the case of Ernie Els, throwing his driver at him. Easy there Big Easy.....;)

AverageJoe
Feb 14, 2011, 04:23 PM
From his tweet:

The Euro Tour is right – it was inconsiderate to spit like that and I know better. Just wasn’t thinking and want to say I’m sorry.

Followed by:

Everyone was terrific all week, fans especially. Dubai is always a fantastic host. Just wish the week could have ended better.

Are people not starting to get tired of the fake apologies?

For me...it's come to the point where apologizing upsets me more than the action itself.

Bellyhungry
Feb 14, 2011, 04:39 PM
Are people not starting to get tired of the fake apologies?

For me...it's come to the point where apologizing upsets me more than the action itself.

Well, he is in a 'damned if he does; damned if he doesn't' situation.

Golden Bear
Feb 14, 2011, 05:02 PM
It's not fair to slam him for apologizing. He said "They were right, I was wrong, and I'm sorry." That's far better than defensiveness or silence. He didn't even qualify the apology, or say "it's not that big a deal." It was a straight up "I was wrong" apology. I don't care how sincere he was; he recognized that it was his responsibility to apologize, and he did that.

SwingingSticks
Feb 14, 2011, 05:04 PM
It's going to take a life time of spitting to get rid of the bad taste from all of those beaver tails, oysters and clams he's eaten over the years. ;)
I'm surprised it wasn't a fan who called in to make the report :rofl:

Powerfade
Feb 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
He knew he was wrong...and owned up to it publicly...Might be heading in the right direction.

Bellyhungry
Feb 14, 2011, 08:31 PM
BTW, who won the tournament?

Squeeky
Feb 14, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure the PGA tour would have a rule against spitting. There seems to be so much of it on their Tour and no one says a word on TV about it. Too bad they didn't have as much class as the Europeans. And, no, I'm not European.

racmbs
Feb 14, 2011, 08:51 PM
BTW, who won the tournament?

Please tell me you are joking.....