PDA

View Full Version : Accenture match play

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Richd
Feb 20, 2011, 10:12 PM
Now that the brackets have been announced what are you looking forward to?

I'm really looking forward to the potential Fowler/Mickelson 2nd round match up

Borbor
Feb 20, 2011, 11:11 PM
o'hair v mahan in the first round.

DJ vs bubba in the 2nd round of the snead bracket.

matteo vs ishikawa (potentially) in the 2nd round; would require both of those guys to upset tho.

Bellyhungry
Feb 20, 2011, 11:18 PM
Westwood vs. Stenson

Tank vs. Goose

Harrington vs. Ogilvy

McIlroy vs. Byrd

Tiger vs. Bjorn

Poulter has a series of video via Twitter documenting his private-jet flight (together with Stenson and GMAC) to Tucson tonight. A window into how these millionaire pro golfers travel.

Weirfan
Feb 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
Westwood vs. Stenson

Tank vs. Goose

Harrington vs. Ogilvy

McIlroy vs. Byrd

Tiger vs. Bjorn

these should all be walks for the fav (although ya nevr know with match play) .....except the Harrington/Ogilvy which could be great

swingpure
Feb 21, 2011, 02:25 PM
I keep telling myself I should go to this event, only being a few hours away.

Powerfade
Feb 21, 2011, 06:27 PM
DJ vs. Bubba...Would love to follow that!:eek:

abz-pete
Feb 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
Seems to be an assumption here that Bubba will beat Bill Haas - I don't think so!

DJ vs. Bubba...Would love to follow that!:eek:

Weirfan
Feb 21, 2011, 08:54 PM
Seems to be an assumption here that Bubba will beat Bill Haas - I don't think so!

agree 100%

in fact I don't see either getting past their first match

Bellyhungry
Feb 21, 2011, 10:19 PM
Gulbis' picks:

http://sweeps.golfweek.com/bracket.asp?ID=1&Message=Thank%20you%20for%20entering%20The%20Golfw eek%20Match%20Play%20Challenge.%20Below%20are%20yo ur%20bracket%20picks&Bracket=829

All Butch Harmon's decisples :hush:

Richd
Feb 22, 2011, 01:40 PM
Poulter has a series of video via Twitter documenting his private-jet flight (together with Stenson and GMAC) to Tucson tonight. A window into how these millionaire pro golfers travel.
i was just looking at it...didn't look as glamourous as i would have thought....whats with the luggage piled in the passenger area?

Ignatius Reilly
Feb 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
Gulbis' picks:

http://sweeps.golfweek.com/bracket.asp?ID=1&Message=Thank%20you%20for%20entering%20The%20Golfw eek%20Match%20Play%20Challenge.%20Below%20are%20yo ur%20bracket%20picks&Bracket=829

All Butch Harmon's decisples :hush:

6 of his final 8, and all 4 of the final 4 are Americans.

Last year, only 1 American made it into the final 8 (Cink).

I just don't think match play is really their strength....

I've submitted my stable of 10 to a local pool:

Lee Westwood
Charl Swartzel
Rory McIlroy
Hunter Mahan
Tim Clark
Bubba Watson
Thomas Bjorn
Graeme McDowell
Louis Oosthuizen
Rickie Fowler

Major winners and contenders, some long shots and top ranked, some US and some euros, and one guy who wears too much orange. I picked Bjorn to beat Tiger in the first round - partly because Tiger is having such an off year again (and he doesn't take non-majors seriously), and partly because the only way to win the pool is to have a long shot pull off some surprise wins. Go Bjorn!!

Rod Morningwood
Feb 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
If I was there, I'd probably follow the mechanic around for the better part of Wednesday. I like his scotchy scotch scotch style.

A McIlroy/Jimenez match would definitely warrant some popcorn.

The spirits tell me Woods is out on Thursday.

/oops did I say that?

RM

jlewis
Feb 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
personally i think the euro's will have their way again this year... here are my picks

Ian Poulter
Rory McIlroy
Lee Westwood
Phil Mickelson
Mark Wilson
Paul Casey
Martin Laird
Alvaro Quiros
Martin Kaymer
Adam Scott

yertu
Feb 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
Bubba to win
mark it down!:D

Borbor
Feb 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
The guy WD'd last week from an ab muscle pull and you think he'll win this week? :D

Ignatius Reilly
Feb 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
Tim Clark has just withdrawn with an elbow injury.

JB Holmes will replace him. Rather than re-shuffle all the brackets again, they simplay put J.B. in Tim's slot in the brackets...

I've had to replace Clark with... Casey... hope he plays well. Sure opens things up for Villegas.

Bellyhungry
Feb 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
Like most playoffs, the early rounds are typically more exciting than the final rounds. I expect fireworks tomorrow given what transpired in the off season and given that this is the first event of the year where all the world's top players are in the same field.

Too bad it is not a stroke-play event....

Richd
Feb 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
T Sure opens things up for Villegas.

JB gets no respect..

Golden Bear
Feb 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
Like most playoffs, the early rounds are typically more exciting than the final rounds. I expect fireworks tomorrow given what transpired in the off season and given that this is the first event of the year where all the world's top players are in the same field.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons the PGA Championship changed from match play to stroke play in the TV era.

I love match play, but only when there are multiple matches going on. Fridays and Saturdays tend to be the most exciting days. The finals drag on forever, and unless they're close, they're snooze-fests.

cyeskoo
Feb 23, 2011, 02:09 PM

Too bad it is not a stroke-play event....

Hopefully it gets better from here; the Donald v. Hoffman match was as boring a match as I can remember

Lefty17
Feb 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
JB gets no respect..

Beat Villegas quite easily 4&2.. Mind you haven't heard much of Camilo this year other then a DQ.

Richd
Feb 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
poulter out too

Ignatius Reilly
Feb 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, and that's one of the reasons the PGA Championship changed from match play to stroke play in the TV era.

I love match play, but only when there are multiple matches going on. Fridays and Saturdays tend to be the most exciting days. The finals drag on forever, and unless they're close, they're snooze-fests.

The final can really drag on, with only 2 golfers to show until the semi-final match starts.
What kills me is that with only 4 golfers playing, tv coverage still manages to miss half of the shots in the semi-final match. :confused::confused: Talking heads and ads instead. I don't care if they show us on tape delay, but the semi-final is only going to have about 140 strokes over 4 hours. SHOW THEM!!

It looks like they've changed the format this year to an 18 hole final, so that should help.

Lefty17
Feb 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
What are the odds(money line) of Bjorn beating Tiger today???

WDM1980
Feb 23, 2011, 03:07 PM
i was just looking at it...didn't look as glamourous as i would have thought....whats with the luggage piled in the passenger area?

Private jets are nice because you aren't subject to the schedule of the airlines and you don't have to arrive early and clear security - drive up and you're in the air 5 minutes later.

Inside they're usually pretty tight unless they're the bigger ones - 16+ capacity. They pile up the luggage because there's little luggage storage and what storage there is probably isnt' heated so stuff will freeze.

The glamor is in not having to wait around and being able to go on your schedule.

racmbs
Feb 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
Rickie Fowler takes it home.....

Lefty17
Feb 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
I just watched Tiger miss one 70 yards off line...:eek: I've never hit a shot that bad!!!!

Richd
Feb 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
What are the odds(money line) of Bjorn beating Tiger today???

Bjorn is a good bet...i dont like tigers chance with his current putting issues

SeanFTW
Feb 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
Tiger 2 down through 5. Ain't lookin good for ol' Tiger

Richd
Feb 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
the worm has turned .. tiger is 1 up thru 12

Mule56
Feb 23, 2011, 05:26 PM

Don't you hate assumptions. ;)

Mule56
Feb 23, 2011, 05:28 PM
The guy WD'd last week from an ab muscle pull and you think he'll win this week? :D

I think he did :D:D:D

Borbor
Feb 23, 2011, 05:35 PM
I think he did :D:D:D

He did? It's still Wednesday.

Rod Morningwood
Feb 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
Did (edit D) Johnson just throw that last putt? :confused:

RM

Borbor
Feb 23, 2011, 06:00 PM
You sure you weren't watching Kuchar?

P25
Feb 23, 2011, 06:13 PM
Wow...Bjorn gives Tiger a 3 footer when he could have been 2 up with 2 to play - crazy.

Borbor
Feb 23, 2011, 06:25 PM
And he just missed a 9 ft birdie try.

Good god watching him around the green today is painful.

thank god 9 of my 10 moved on even if Tiger goes home today in the pool.

SeanFTW
Feb 23, 2011, 06:40 PM
Oh boy this one's going to overtime! Tiger squares it up on 18!

mr.pinchy
Feb 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Tiger is done

SeanFTW
Feb 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
bye bye

Didn't take long for Rory to voice his opinion either

The great Dane strikes again! Great result for Thomas Bjorn. (via twitter)

Bwadd
Feb 23, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry buy Tiger is officially done in my books, he looked awful!

That sean Foley swing looks like garbage!

Weirfan
Feb 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Tiger is done

only #1 seed to bow out first round

he hacked it up big time, enjoyable to watch actually;)

Borbor
Feb 23, 2011, 07:01 PM
Everytime he sprayed it off to places where it'd take NORAD to track the ball, the arms were so far behind it didn't matter if Jesus was his coach, that ball won't be coming back inline.

The swings where he doesn't do that I thought it didn't look that bad. Not a fan of that high right shoulder finish however.

SeanFTW
Feb 23, 2011, 07:02 PM
only #1 seed to bow out first round

he hacked it up big time, enjoyable to watch actually;)

yous a spiteful one aint ya?

Borbor
Feb 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
He's just bitter Weir isn't in the field.

racmbs
Feb 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry buy Tiger is officially done in my books, he looked awful!

That sean Foley swing looks like garbage!

Bah.....he lost 1 down.

Tiger is FARRRRR from being done.

racmbs
Feb 23, 2011, 07:08 PM
Now that the brackets have been announced what are you looking forward to?

I'm really looking forward to the potential Fowler/Mickelson 2nd round match up

That makes 2 of us, and I can't wait to watch Fowler take down Bwadd's former lover from another life. :p

SeanFTW
Feb 23, 2011, 07:09 PM
He's just bitter Weir isn't in the field.

who? :rofl:

ooooooh, you mean that Canadian dude who people were talking about like 7 years ago? I think i remember him.

par72
Feb 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
Bah.....he lost 1 down.

Tiger is FARRRRR from being done.

I thought he looked like he was turning a corner til that drive on 19. Two really solid cut shots on 17 and 18 and made up for the miss on 17 with a clutch birdie on 18.

He'll be back....

Weirfan
Feb 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
yous a spiteful one aint ya?

bittersweet as I did pick him to go much further...silly me

I admit that I have really enjoyed watching Tiger's struggles and collapses in all 3 events so far this season .....especially just to put to rest all the nonsense about "he's back" and he'll be POY garbage that has come out

I'm sure that some time this season he'll contend again maybe at Augusta where the course suits him and he feels comfy...... and quite probably he will make it to the winner's circle sometime in 2011 as well

but so far for him in 2011 ......as they say Karma's a beyotch

as for Weir, until there is a more accomplished Canadian golfer on the PGA I'll still be Weirfan