PDA

View Full Version : is it about the $$$

Big Shooter
Feb 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
if Fred Couples had 'defended' his 'title' at the "Champions Tour" Tournament, he would have won $240k, but by finishing 7th on the "PGA Tour" in L.A., he pocketed just over $200k, which is much more than if he finished 2nd in Naples...all he had to do was play 1 more day! :cool:

tasker
Feb 21, 2011, 07:25 AM
He was quoted as saying he preferred to play Riviera and he has had some great moments there.

mpare
Feb 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
For Fred it is not just about the money.

Samick
Feb 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
There is no way its about money for Freddie. He proved it that he can still be competitive with the young bucks of the PGA Tour, he likes the course, it was a great chance/place for him to WIN, not make a pay check. He doesnt need the money.

goshawk
Feb 21, 2011, 07:44 AM
Love to watch "Boom-boom" swinging a club. I've always admired the rythm and tempo of his swing mechanics. But to answer the question, for the most part it's not about the dollars. There is a certain small percentage of players on tour who are (and KNOW they are) "journeymen" who are very unlikely to rise to the top of the heap in terms of winning percentage or top 10's in a season. There's always the chance of putting together 4 strong rounds and winning a tournament during the season, but they understand it's not likely. For them, it's about making the cut and getting a paycheck weekly. But for the most part, it's about the competition.

gbrgolf
Feb 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
This is really a stretch...... the odds of Fred Couples winning or finishing second in a Champions Tour event are astronomically higher than finishing in the top 10 of a PGA Tour event. Especially one with that strong of a field.
Fred played Riviera because he loves the golf course and wanted to test himself against the best players in the world! end of story..... Money was never even a thought.
Michael Allen, still dreams of winning on the PGA Tour, although exempt on both Tours, he still grinds it out on the PGA as much as possible, all while leaving a ton of cash on the table by not playing the Champions Tour. Professional athletes, generally have a tough time knowing when to give it up..... that's what separates them from you and I.... they are so competitive..... Fred is absolutely no different, and I for one think it was great!!!

dekker
Feb 21, 2011, 09:54 AM
Fred is a phenom in every way. His recognition quotient is only superseded by Woods.
Couple's playing attitude reminds me of the exchange between the old and young bull who happen upon a field of heifers. The young bull suggest they run down and surprise one of the heifers. The old bull replies, "why don't we walk down, and surprise them all".:)

AlfaGolfer
Feb 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
And by "surprise" he means...

Fred is a phenom in every way. His recognition quotient is only superseded by Woods.
Couple's playing attitude reminds me of the exchange between the old and young bull who happen upon a field of heifers. The young bull suggest they run down and surprise one of the heifers. The old bull replies, "why don't we walk down, and surprise them all".:)

mcgsxr
Feb 21, 2011, 01:45 PM
I would boldly suggest that anyone with a pro golf career of any significance that is still playing competitively at 50+, it is WAY past being about the money. They will have earned nicely for 30 years, and now it is about the challenge, as others have mentioned.

I felt worse for the girl who posted a 9 on the 16th yesterday, in Thailand, and went from 2nd with a hope, to T8 or something...

Now THAT was an expensive mushroom cloud hole.

Thank god none of my 9's ever cost that much! :eek:

par72
Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 PM
IMO the only reason guys play the Seniors tour is because they have no other choice or they find it is easier money.

Not sure why you'd ever NOT play a PGA event if you had the opportunity.

philly63
Feb 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
Silly comment about it being about the money. However, some of these guys on the senior tour who take their wife/son/daughter as their caddy on a regular basis appear to be tight. I am sure the regular caddies are not that thrilled with this trend. What's next one of these guys having their dog pull around their bag.

dekker
Feb 21, 2011, 05:06 PM
Silly comment about it being about the money. However, some of these guys on the senior tour who take their wife/son/daughter as their caddy on a regular basis appear to be tight. I am sure the regular caddies are not that thrilled with this trend. What's next one of these guys having their dog pull around their bag.

Pipe Dreams would be more popular with the Littlest Hobo on the bag, no question.:rofl:

Rumour has it some senior tour guys are absolute tight wads. Some like Hale Erwin were like that on the regular tour, from what I've heard.

Big Shooter
Feb 22, 2011, 01:07 AM
Silly comment about it being about the money.

Really? Freddy, has paid a lot to his "ex's" ;)

Bellyhungry
Feb 22, 2011, 07:09 AM
Really? Freddy, has paid a lot to his "ex's" ;)

Both his ex's are deceased. :nono:

Shake99
Feb 22, 2011, 09:03 AM
if Fred Couples had 'defended' his 'title' at the "Champions Tour" Tournament, he would have won $240k, but by finishing 7th on the "PGA Tour" in L.A., he pocketed just over $200k, which is much more than if he finished 2nd in Naples...all he had to do was play 1 more day! :cool:

Fred was going in for an MRI on his back Monday after the tournament and did not want to add to his back problems with 2 cross country flights.

Big Shooter
Feb 22, 2011, 01:27 PM
Fred was going in for an MRI on his back Monday after the tournament and did not want to add to his back problems with 2 cross country flights.

surely he flies MarquisJet at the very least?