PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Na shows class

davepratt
Feb 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
Although he drives me nuts with his pace on the greens, I was impressed by the way he was clearly rooting for Baddeley's birdie to drop on the 13th yesterday in spite of the fact he was trying to chase him down for the lead. That's good sportsmanship and great to see.

megamonsterman
Feb 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
Isn't he one of the slowest golfer in the tour?

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1988258,00.html

Ponder that.... :rolleyes:

par72
Feb 21, 2011, 11:56 AM

Interesting articl, but what does it have to do with anything and what are we meant to be pondering?

racmbs
Feb 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
Interesting articl, but what does it have to do with anything and what are we meant to be pondering?

Maybe today is a day of reflection for megamonsterman. :D

cmac19
Feb 21, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'm a fan of his it would be nice to see him get his first win and what he showed yesterday will pay him back he was honestly cheering Badds on.

Weirfan
Feb 21, 2011, 02:11 PM

somebody is always the fastest and somebody always the slowest whether on tour or in your foursome on the weekend.....maybe it's even you?

what does it matter ?

if he is that slow then he would be out of position and put on the clock......I watched all 4 rounds on the weekend and never saw him out of position or heard any reference to him being on the clock.....so I guess he's not that slow

Tanner
Feb 22, 2011, 11:47 AM
i would have to say i experienced kevin Na having no class at the canadian open this past summer. I was standing by the green on..... i forget which hole, it was a long par 5 and the green is elevated quite a bit above the fairway(was my first time being at st. georges). anyways Na hit his approach shot right into the gallery about 2 feet to my left striking a man in the leg. Na came up to his ball after we were all moved back and did not even offer an apology to the man he had hit or even seek out who it was that he had injured. from what ive seen in the past its usually common courtesy to offer an apology at a minimum, perhaps even give a signed ball or glove. just my experience, im sure its not a reflection of who he is.

par72
Feb 22, 2011, 11:52 AM
So if it was an elevate green like you say, and assuming he was coming in from fair distance how would he know he injured someone? Was the guy sitting beside his ball moaning in pain? Did someone point out to him "hey, you hit that guy"?

Tanner
Feb 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
So if it was an elevate green like you say, and assuming he was coming in from fair distance how would he know he injured someone? Was the guy sitting beside his ball moaning in pain? Did someone point out to him "hey, you hit that guy"?

actually yes 3-4 people in the gallery mentioned as he came up that his lie was as good as it was because it had hit someone and had it not it would have went further towards the tee box/cart path. and lets say that no one breathed a word about it(which would be stupid) you would have to be quite the moron not to assume that you struck someone when your ball misses the green surrounded by a gallery of people.

racmbs
Feb 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
i would have to say i experienced kevin Na having no class at the canadian open this past summer. I was standing by the green on..... i forget which hole, it was a long par 5 and the green is elevated quite a bit above the fairway(was my first time being at st. georges). anyways Na hit his approach shot right into the gallery about 2 feet to my left striking a man in the leg. Na came up to his ball after we were all moved back and did not even offer an apology to the man he had hit or even seek out who it was that he had injured. from what ive seen in the past its usually common courtesy to offer an apology at a minimum, perhaps even give a signed ball or glove. just my experience, im sure its not a reflection of who he is.

Did it ever occur to you that Kevin Na didn't even know it had hit someone?

Tanner
Feb 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
Did it ever occur to you that Kevin Na didn't even know it had hit someone?

read above post

racmbs
Feb 22, 2011, 12:21 PM
read above post

Life goes on.....it's an accident, doesn't mean the guys a permanent jerk-wad.

Habcentric
Feb 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
I like Kevin Na. I recorded an F-bomb laced tirade of his on live TV when the wind picked up just before he was teeing off on a par-3 last year. Awesome stuff.

Tanner
Feb 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Life goes on.....it's an accident, doesn't mean the guys a permanent jerk-wad.

never said it did, if you read the first response i made i said "just my experience, im sure its not a reflection of who he is."

par72
Feb 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
actually yes 3-4 people in the gallery mentioned as he came up that his lie was as good as it was because it had hit someone and had it not it would have went further towards the tee box/cart path. and lets say that no one breathed a word about it(which would be stupid) you would have to be quite the moron not to assume that you struck someone when your ball misses the green surrounded by a gallery of people.

Kevin Na might suggest that someone standing in the first row behind a par 5 with an elevated green you would have to be a moron to not EXPECT the possibility of getting hit. Seeing as there were no blatant, serious injuries what did you want the guy to do? They can't five crap away every time they miss a green.....

Rusty
Feb 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
I was watching the tournament yesterday and it appeared to me that Na was not too pleased that Baddeley's putt dropped. I thought his reaction was more like: "Geez, not again...another bomb...after that c**p approach!" Sort of like when your regular match play opponent closes his eyes and hits that double breaking 40-footer into the cup for a par...while you three putt from 12-feet to lose the hole.

I believe that the announcers picked up on the ambiguity of Na's reaction. Nantz saying wasn't that great, Na rooting for his opponent. About 5 seconds later, Fareday opined that it wasn't so much of a congratulation more like a "not again" reaction.

Then they both dropped the topic. Any further discussion might have revealed that pros do have real feelings and natural emotions...not that phoney "on camera" persona we get from the telecasts.

Rusty

Tanner
Feb 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
Kevin Na might suggest that someone standing in the first row behind a par 5 with an elevated green you would have to be a moron to not EXPECT the possibility of getting hit. Seeing as there were no blatant, serious injuries what did you want the guy to do? They can't five crap away every time they miss a green.....

im pretty sure its common knowledge that when you are a spectator at a golf tournament there is the possibility of being hit with an errand shot.that being said any time ive seen someone hit with a ball( on TV or otherwise) the player atleast inquires as to whether they have hit someone and at a minimum offers an apology. not sure who is suggesting they should give things away every time they miss a green. as im sure not every time they do they strike someone with their ball. it seems maybe you misread my comment?

par72
Feb 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
im pretty sure its common knowledge that when you are a spectator at a golf tournament there is the possibility of being hit with an errand shot.that being said any time ive seen someone hit with a ball( on TV or otherwise) the player atleast inquires as to whether they have hit someone and at a minimum offers an apology. not sure who is suggesting they should give things away every time they miss a green. as im sure not every time they do they strike someone with their ball. it seems maybe you misread my comment?

My point is that often spectators stand very close and will get "hit" with most shots long and more then a few yards right and left of the green.

To be honest, the ONLY time ive seen a player Address the fan who got hit was when hit with an errant drive and/or pretty badly hurt. I do not see this for the casual "hit in the leg with a long approach" and I've been the guy hit a couple times.

golfnutz
Feb 22, 2011, 10:18 PM

It is definately a reflection of who he is. I worked the Canadian Open last year at St.George's and walked with his group for two days. A bigger spoiled baby I have never seen. He whined and complained about everyone and everything. During practice rounds he refused to sign any autographs and curtly dismissed people asking if people bothered them when they were at work. PGA staff refered to him as the second biggest pain in the *** next to Chris Dimarco. I for one cheer against him everytime and was glad to see him fall out of contention.

gbrgolf
Feb 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
KN is one of the least liked players on Tour, period! I can't begin to tell the number of stories that I have heard of his antics and slow play. Those who know me, are probably aware that I am very political in my answers regarding Tour players. With KN, virtually every player will complain about being paired with him. He whines out loud when things don't go his way, and OMG can he be slow!
The guy can play, would sure be nice if he could turn around his image!

mpare
Feb 23, 2011, 08:11 AM
But if he was not aware that the ball struck someone (you don't say he knew), then why should it have occurred to him that an apology was in order?

never said it did, if you read the first response i made i said "just my experience, im sure its not a reflection of who he is."

sLuGo
Feb 23, 2011, 08:13 AM
If he's the second biggest pain i'd love to hear some Dimarco stories!

NickStarchuk
Feb 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
KN is one of the least liked players on Tour, period! I can't begin to tell the number of stories that I have heard of his antics and slow play. Those who know me, are probably aware that I am very political in my answers regarding Tour players. With KN, virtually every player will complain about being paired with him. He whines out loud when things don't go his way, and OMG can he be slow!

I bet he plays stock shafts too....

Bobogo
Feb 23, 2011, 08:54 AM
I met Kevin Na's parents at the Canadian Open at Glen Abbey a couple of years ago. Seemed like nice enough people and we had a few laughs over my Korean language skills.

Culture note: Kevin Na as the eldest son in a Korean family = spoiled brat/semi king status growing up

pugs
Feb 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
But if he was not aware that the ball struck someone (you don't say he knew), then why should it have occurred to him that an apology was in order?

Maybe you should read one of Tanner's earlier posts, stating that "3 or 4 people" told him his ball had hit someone.:confused:

par72
Feb 23, 2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe you should read one of Tanner's earlier posts, stating that "3 or 4 people" told him his ball had hit someone.:confused:

And you know how itently pros listen to all the spectators around the green while focusing on their pitch. Sounds like he is a total lack of class good to be honest, and I feel bad for defending him, but this instance as it is provided doesn't seem like an egregious lack of character IMO.

If GBR will rip a guy that doesn't exactly say alot, though......

sLuGo
Feb 23, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'd have to thank the guy after playing a hot bankshot off his chest to a good lie. That's just me.

golfnguru
Feb 23, 2011, 10:36 AM

Aah now I get it.

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showpost.php?p=684211&postcount=1

racmbs
Feb 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Aah now I get it.

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showpost.php?p=684211&postcount=1

He's from Stouffville, enough said.

racmbs
Feb 23, 2011, 10:58 AM

Maybe someone needs to tell him off.....might be a wake up call for him.

dekker
Feb 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
There you go boss. I send all those naysayers your special Bouquet.

mpare
Feb 23, 2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks. I had not read the earlier posts.

gbrgolf
Feb 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
I met Kevin Na's parents at the Canadian Open at Glen Abbey a couple of years ago. Seemed like nice enough people and we had a few laughs over my Korean language skills.

Culture note: Kevin Na as the eldest son in a Korean family = spoiled brat/semi king status growing up

You know, you realize when you hang around people enough that everyone rubs some people the wrong way, especially when you are in the public eye or living in a closed knitt circus like the PGA Tour! Kevin has a group on Tour that he hangs with, who probably think he's great. I'm sure away from the course, he's probably a good guy, he's certainly a guy that I have never spent any time with.
But, he has certainly rubbed some big name players the wrong way....

dekker
Feb 24, 2011, 12:03 AM
He's the only guy in golf who has his own song. (Na Na Na Na......):rofl:

jmccaff
Mar 15, 2011, 02:16 PM
I like him, he gave me a divot from 16 at Augusta last year!

Samick
Mar 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
I like him, he gave me a divot from 16 at Augusta last year!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm picturing that commercial where the guy brings home the divot and clips the grass with a beard trimmer. :D

jmccaff
Mar 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
I know, I know......but I had to bring it home!! :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm picturing that commercial where the guy brings home the divot and clips the grass with a beard trimmer. :D