Collapse

Watering the Greens?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watering the Greens?

Not sure where to put this thread but I saw today at the FBR Open the greenskeepers were watering the greens to keep them softer and slower. I know its up the the head official to decide this but my question is WHY? Shouldn't the players play as the conditions arise? Doesn't this make it now fair to the players who tee'd off earlier in the day? They did this at last years US Open at Shinnacock and it cause so much controversy too. I just don't get why they have to water the greens. Let them play as it is!
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Watering the Greens?

I think watering the greens kinda goes along with letting the rough grow. It just makes the course that much tougher. Espically when the course is a little shorter than the big courses.
    "Golf's a grand game. It combines the skill of billards, with the mystery of gardening." David Merry

Comment

I thought the greens would be harder to "hold" if they're dry and hard. Wouldn't watering the greens soften and slow them down, thus making it easier? I understand letting the rough grow without mowing them throughout the week would make it more difficult to hack out of, so shouldnt' they let the greens dry out too? Unless its killing the grass.
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Focker Singh
        Not sure where to put this thread but I saw today at the FBR Open the greenskeepers were watering the greens to keep them softer and slower. I know its up the the head official to decide this but my question is WHY? Shouldn't the players play as the conditions arise? Doesn't this make it now fair to the players who tee'd off earlier in the day? They did this at last years US Open at Shinnacock and it cause so much controversy too. I just don't get why they have to water the greens. Let them play as it is!
        FS, the wind is such a factor that watering the greens became necessary to keep the ball stable on the putting surface--at least that's what the commentators are suggesting. Apparently this particular desert course was not designed to be played in these conditions.

cheers...

Comment

I just read in the newspaper that Mike Weir chipped a ball to a couple feet from the hole on one of the holes in the FBR Open, marked it, and then put the ball back.....after he put the ball back, the wind blew it 6 feet away.......how fair is that?
          Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Originally posted by Ego Woods
            I just read in the newspaper that Mike Weir chipped a ball to a couple feet from the hole on one of the holes in the FBR Open, marked it, and then put the ball back.....after he put the ball back, the wind blew it 6 feet away.......how fair is that?
            After watching the Golf Channel last night, I found out the reason why they watered the greens too. I did not realize that was the situation at first...if so, then I find it more reasonable...but if it was because of the "Shinnacock" reasons, then I find it harder to understand.
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Ego Woods
              i just got this thread now, a little late but What happened?? He has to putt 6 feet away?? That's not fair!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X