PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best golfer right now?

mr.pinchy
Apr 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
Was just wondering what everyone thinks.

After watching the Masters, my vote goes to Luke Donald,

Kaymer's obviously number 1 by ranking, but the MC at Masters was a buzz kill for me.

(I hope this one doesn't turn into a Tiger or Phil discussion):rofl:

Big Shooter
Apr 15, 2011, 03:41 PM
JJ Henry

par72
Apr 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
Charl Schwartzel

SeanFTW
Apr 15, 2011, 03:49 PM
Kaymer is not having a great year so far. I'd definitely agree with Luke Donald being the best AT THE MOMENT. 4 top 10's in 5 events, including one win. I'd say he's been the best so far this year.

Bellyhungry
Apr 15, 2011, 03:50 PM
Elin Nordegen. $100M career earning using only a 9 iron.

SeanFTW
Apr 15, 2011, 03:51 PM

:rofl:

might as well close the thread now, this wins.

vijay
Apr 15, 2011, 03:57 PM

:thumbs_up :rofl:

mr.pinchy
Apr 15, 2011, 04:06 PM

I thought it was a 3-iron? no?

Regardless, gotta hand it to you on this one:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lollihed
Apr 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
Kaymer deserves his number one ranking.
He started the year off great (1 win/1 almost win already)

Masters is not a course for his horse is all. :)

jimfastcar
Apr 15, 2011, 06:53 PM

Funniest thing I have read in a long time ! Excellent

vicbri
Apr 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
Okay let's get back to the serious question asked, I don't even think Elin plays golf for crying out loud. I do agree with the OP, Luke Donald's play has been consistently good lately. Plus he plays Mizuno.:D

richay
Apr 15, 2011, 09:55 PM
Okay let's get back to the serious question asked, I don't even think Elin plays golf for crying out loud. I do agree with the OP, Luke Donald's play has been consistently good lately. Plus he plays Mizuno.:D

+1 gotta back up my Mizuno boys :D

musky_hunter
Apr 15, 2011, 10:02 PM
Adam Scott has been playing great the past few tournaments. But the player at his top is LD or laird.

xrox
Apr 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
Tough question and I have no answer. Used to be an easy question.

mpare
Apr 16, 2011, 04:12 AM
Since late last year Luke Donald has had the best record. In that time, save for having missed one cut, he has never been out of the top ten. That is a remarkable performance.

Samick
Apr 16, 2011, 06:02 AM
Nick Watney
7 starts
7 cuts made
1 win
5 top 10s
6 top 25s
2.3m in earnings already this year and 5th in the Fedex Cup Standings.

Pretty solid start.

Lefty17
Apr 16, 2011, 07:20 AM
Watney and Donald for me.

Dano Twoface
Apr 16, 2011, 07:48 AM
Geoff Ogilivy seems to be in the top 10 alot this year!!!!

dillon1up
Apr 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Geoff Ogilivy seems to be in the top 10 alot this year!!!!

yes, he is a good choice.

Wish i could putt
Apr 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:..Priceless
Watney and Donald for me.
2nd these two guys as of right now..All so good anygiven weekend :D

bagujing
Apr 16, 2011, 10:06 PM
Luke Donald

Big Shooter
Apr 17, 2011, 12:17 AM
Yani Tseng

Weirfan
Apr 18, 2011, 07:46 AM
Luke Donald

Richd
Apr 18, 2011, 07:58 AM
golf has achieved what many sports strive for..parity...anybody can win. (a good situation for the golf "purists" but not a recipe to build interest in the sport)

There are lots of very good players but there is no Great player right now.

Bwadd
Apr 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
Yani Tseng

I agree!

Ignatius Reilly
Apr 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
Where's the love for Mark Wilson????

The guy's leading the Fedex Cup*. What better indicator of the best golfer?

*disclaimer: No, I don't believe the Fedex Cup identifies the best golfer either.

Tigersucks
Apr 18, 2011, 10:41 PM
Nicklaus

laps
Apr 19, 2011, 06:15 AM
If you look at the world golf rankings, it shows points lost and points gained this year.

The player with the most points gained this year is Charles Schwartzel, followed by Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer and Nick Watney. The biggest gap is between Scwartzel and Donald. The other three are close to each other.

So given that Schawartzel has gained the most points and won the most important tournament so far this year, I would argue that he is currently the best golfer so far in 2011.

dekker
Apr 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
Manaserro has that quiet cheese and pimiento game that leaves the right impressions wherever he plays. I'm not saying he's the best by a long shot just yet, but he has to be on the must watch list.
http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/2011/01/analysis-of-matteo-manaserros-golf.html

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
So given that Schawartzel has gained the most points and won the most important tournament so far this year, I would argue that he is currently the best golfer so far in 2011.

will he be your top pick in the pool for the next tournament?

laps
Apr 19, 2011, 09:14 AM
will he be your top pick in the pool for the next tournament?

There is not a single player that I would pick to win on any given week. When it comes to pools, I go with my heart not logic. I always want to cheer for my favourite players whether or not they are the best.

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
There is not a single player that I would pick to win on any given week. When it comes to pools, I go with my heart not logic. I always want to cheer for my favourite players whether or not they are the best.

you are not making a very convincing argument for him being the best :D

laps
Apr 19, 2011, 09:55 AM
you are not making a very convincing argument for him being the best :D

Don't care. its an alternative way of looking at it other than gut feel. Is it the player who won the previous week: Steele, or is it the player who won the most recent major Schwartzl, or maybe the italian kid Manassero, he won against a strong field last week. Or is it the guy who has the most world golf ranking points this year: Scwartzl, total: Kaymer. Fedex cup leader: Mark Wilson - who only has one top 10 since early February.

The question is "right now"? So I would have to go with Manassero. He won a tournament against the strongest field. Whoever wins this weekend will be the best until the next tournament.

Even using objective measures there is no clear cut way of stating who is the best player. All other measures are subjective.

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 09:57 AM
Even using objective measures there is no clear cut way of stating who is the best player. All other measures are subjective.
we need a dominant play who everybody is shooting for

micacchi89
Apr 19, 2011, 11:14 AM
mike weird

mr.pinchy
Apr 23, 2011, 04:54 PM

Will we ever see a single dominant player again? (Like Tiger Woods?)

I don't see that happening from Rory or Rickie, they are great players at their age, but I just don't see it coming.

Anyways, I picked Luke Donald, and it's great to see him up the leaderboard again this week!, he might pull another win, it's gonna be an exciting sunday pairing!

Weirfan
Apr 25, 2011, 09:10 PM

can I ask why and how you feel that would make things better?

what's wrong with a leaderboards full of great golfers who can win? I find golf infinitely more exciting in the past couple years with a whack of names in the hunt each weekend versus one guy at the top each week......

The Masters and this past weekend were just 2 examples of that imo

Bellyhungry
Apr 25, 2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe we don't need a clear cut #1. But I think it would be nice to see some clear cut front frunners, not even something like a 1a or 1b, but more like a 1a and 1z like Tiger and Phil.

Lefty17
Apr 26, 2011, 05:35 AM
As much as I want to crown Donald as the best... He doesn't close out stroke play events very well. Consistent but at the moment Westwood is the better player do to his finishing off tournaments.

hbassi
Apr 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Interesting on how subjective the answers are. If we look at the world golf rankings it seems number 1 can change every week. When looking at Tiger's dominance his absoulte WGR score was ridicilous. I don't see anyone including Tiger building a lead like that in the comming years.

I think Donald has to be the guy right now. Won the match play, a couple of Top 5's and had a shot at the masters until he sunk one in the drink on 12.

But the season is only starting - I think who survives or plays the best from June to Sept will give us a more concrete answer. 3 majors, 1 WGC and the Fed Ex Cup Events.

Playthru
Apr 26, 2011, 08:45 AM
can I ask why and how you feel that would make things better?

what's wrong with a leaderboards full of great golfers who can win? I find golf infinitely more exciting in the past couple years with a whack of names in the hunt each weekend versus one guy at the top each week......

I think progress in golf (or technology for that matter) occurs not in small increments but when one person steps out clearly from the crowd.
That forces the herd to improve and raises the whole game. Tiger clearly did that in 2000. ( Nicklaus, Hogan, Jones before him)
Who will step out of the crowd now and lead the next step change? Not clear.

But agree that during this period the finishes are a lot more fun to watch.

Golden Bear
Apr 26, 2011, 08:49 AM

Agreed. The PGA was pretty sensational, too. Last year's Masters was pretty damn good, as was the 2009 Masters. And in non-majors things have been exciting; I thought this past weekend was exciting to follow.

The lack of a dominant player has made the game more exciting. Tournaments are thrilling, there's a lot of movement at the top of the WGR, and new names are becoming stars. Hell, some older names are becoming stars -- Luke Donald had become invisible for a while.

From a pure entertainment standpoint, this is as good as it gets. If we're concerned about ratings (which mean diddly to me) the ideal would be 3 to 6 "dominant" players who are going at it on a regular basis.

Richard007
Apr 27, 2011, 05:34 AM
Martin Kaymer :)