PDA

View Full Version : What Does This Say About The State of The PGA Tour ?

shankuverymuch
Apr 19, 2011, 10:03 AM
The PGA Tour is scrambling hard to find a sponsor for The Heritage at Harbour Town.

As of yet, there are no takers, and this may be the last year The PGA Tour visits Hilton Head.

A GREAT course, and a GREAT area. If The PGA Tour can't find a sponsor for this event, they're in BIG TROUBLE.

Uncle Timmy might not get his bonus next year. :nono::nono::nono:

BowmanvilleJim
Apr 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
The PGA Tour is scrambling hard to find a sponsor for The Heritage at Harbour Town.

As of yet, there are no takers, and this may be the last year The PGA Tour visits Hilton Head.

A GREAT course, and a GREAT area. If The PGA Tour can't find a sponsor for this event, they're in BIG TROUBLE.

Uncle Timmy might not get his bonus next year. :nono::nono::nono:

it's a sign of the times.

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 10:10 AM
that despite what the purists say parity sucks

Golden Bear
Apr 19, 2011, 10:10 AM
"The Toronto Golf Nuts Heritage Classic at Harbor Town" has a nice ring to it. I'm in for fifty bucks. Who else?

The Troll
Apr 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
It says less about the PGA Tour than it does about the state of the US economy.

Ignatius Reilly
Apr 19, 2011, 10:18 AM

Yes

that despite what the purists say parity sucks

No

"The Toronto Golf Nuts Heritage Classic at Harbor Town" has a nice ring to it. I'm in for fifty bucks. Who else?

...Maybe...

shankuverymuch
Apr 19, 2011, 10:27 AM

Count me in !!! ( I hope the 50 bucks includes the caddie fees. )

BowmanvilleJim
Apr 19, 2011, 10:28 AM

Companies are re-evaluating the value of being associated with a golf tournament. The Valero Texas Open apparently reached out to a new demographic and they felt it's been very successful. Maybe in the future we will see new types of sponsors.

shankuverymuch
Apr 19, 2011, 10:34 AM

I can't agree with that... Corporations are spending record amounts on advertising this year. The tax deal that The PGA Tour struck with The IRS quite a few years back, makes a PGA Tour event a win-win situation from a corporate bottom line perspective.

If companies are shying away from The PGA Tour as a product, I think it says more about the product than the economy.

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 10:43 AM
I can't agree with that... Corporations are spending record amounts on advertising this year. The tax deal that The PGA Tour struck with The IRS quite a few years back, makes a PGA Tour event a win-win situation from a corporate bottom line perspective.

If companies are shying away from The PGA Tour as a product, I think it says more about the product than the economy.
i agree with that ..companies have more money on hand than they have had in half a century

vijay
Apr 19, 2011, 11:12 AM
GE should sponsor the event! 5.1 billion in profits and no taxes!

Don't worry, when Donald Trump becomes president of the United States, all the tournaments will be cancelled and organized at Trump courses .....:D

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 11:14 AM

or Oracle ..they say the have like $38 Billion in cash they cant repatriate

shankuverymuch
Apr 19, 2011, 11:16 AM
Don't worry, when Donald Trump becomes president of the United States, all the tournaments will be cancelled and organized at Trump courses .....:D

...and all the golfers will have VERY BAD haircuts ... Change the Tournament name to The Comb-Over Classic.

RobT
Apr 19, 2011, 11:46 AM

I'm so proud of my bosses for $0 in taxes for 2010.
We do sponsor some events in Europe, but sponsoring golf in US might be seen as excessive spending, and would bring with it increased scrutiny, which we will try to avoid. But never say never.

Golden Bear
Apr 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Personally, I don't give a damn if tournaments have trouble getting sponsors. There will always be enough sponsorship to keep the calendar full of tournaments, and I'm not expecting to be lacking for golf to watch on TV. From a fan's standpoint, it's virtually meaningless. Less sponsorship means less money in the pockets of people already making gobs of money. None of that cash was coming our way anyway.

willinc
Apr 19, 2011, 11:58 AM
Is this one of the events all the pros show up for (ie.Tiger/Phil) or one of the ones that the superstars skip out on?

vijay
Apr 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
They should have another PGA event in Canada - sponsored by Rogers!

Rogers Gouging Open!

Golden Bear
Apr 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
Is this one of the events all the pros show up for (ie.Tiger/Phil) or one of the ones that the superstars skip out on?
Tiger and Phil don't show up for much, so I wouldn't go by what they do.

The Heritage is probably mid-tier. It's an invitational; guys like Furyk and Weekley tend to win this.

The Troll
Apr 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
I can't agree with that... Corporations are spending record amounts on advertising this year.

Some companies have more money, yes, but the traditional sponsors have other issues that prevent their involvement.

After taking TARP money the banking and insurance sectors simply find funding a tournament politically incorrect. Can't recall which event but last year one financial firm took over an event then got creamed in the media since they were just bailed out.

The car companies are in the same boat.

Of course, it is also hard to justify sponsoring a tournament when you haven't brought back your laid off workers.

Your product has to appeal to golfers and your CEO has to be a golfer in order to get involved.

par72
Apr 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
They should have another PGA event in Canada - sponsored by Rogers!

Rogers Gouging Open!

There were 2 events in Canada but one couldn't draw players or sponsors.

shankuverymuch
Apr 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
The sponsor model that The PGA Tour uses is one of the sponsorship becomes a charitable donation.

That was the deal that The PGA Tour worked out with The IRS back in Deane Beaman's days. Actually The Tour sued The IRS over a ruling that they made against The Tour, Collegiate Sports, and a few others.

The Tour won, the others lost.

Having said that, we are probably not too far apart in our thinking...it's not the economy, it's the optics of sponsoring a PGA Tour event.

So instead, corporations are giving their money to the "poor struggling" Madison Avenue firms. :rolleyes:

Some companies have more money, yes, but the traditional sponsors have other issues that prevent their involvement.

After taking TARP money the banking and insurance sectors simply find funding a tournament politically incorrect. Can't recall which event but last year one financial firm took over an event then got creamed in the media since they were just bailed out.

The car companies are in the same boat.

Of course, it is also hard to justify sponsoring a tournament when you haven't brought back your laid off workers.

Your product has to appeal to golfers and your CEO has to be a golfer in order to get involved.

Bellyhungry
Apr 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
The PGA Tour'd better hope Tiger start winning tournaments in bunches soon. :D

Richd
Apr 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
The PGA Tour'd better hope Tiger start winning tournaments in bunches soon. :D i'm sure they were hoping to ride that horse for quite a few more years

BowmanvilleJim
Apr 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
There were 2 events in Canada but one couldn't draw players.

and the other was in Vancouver :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SliceHooker
Apr 19, 2011, 02:36 PM
i'm sure they were hoping to ride that horse for quite a few more years

Ahhh.... too easy.

philly63
Apr 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
Definitely a sign of the future of golf in North America. Courses for sale, membership deals and so many discount green fees all suggest way too much supply.