PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Long!

vijay
Apr 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
When he is in form, he is simply amazing!

Bubba could have a monster year this year.

Round 1 & 2
Driving Distance: 330 yds
Driving Accuracy: 78.57%
Green in Regulation: 86.11%

What can we learn from his swing and approach to golf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8Er2w3Gkk

Lefty17
Apr 29, 2011, 01:57 PM
We can learn to get up and hit it... we can learn that you don't need swing gurus to get the ball around the course.

Bubba good...:rofl::rofl:

vijay
Apr 29, 2011, 02:05 PM
We can learn to get up and hit it... we can learn that you don't need swing gurus to get the ball around the course.

yes, bubba played good today! :rofl:

Golf must be simple for him. See ball ...hit ball.. long way!

Lefty17
Apr 29, 2011, 02:07 PM
yes, bubba played good today! :rofl:

Golf must be simple for him. See ball ...hit ball.. Bubba long!

Fixed it for ya!!! :D

petvan
Apr 29, 2011, 02:13 PM

hopefully not fashion tips..

P25
Apr 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
hopefully not fashion tips..

Much better now that he's sportin the Travis Mathew line though. :)

Speeze
Apr 29, 2011, 02:37 PM
On another note, it's cool to see David Hearn playing well. -5 after two rounds.

Rusty
Apr 29, 2011, 02:39 PM
Bubba is entertaining...both for himself and the gallery. But, I have my doubts that he will be a lasting presence on the Tour.

IMO he has too many non-grooved parts to his swing that will eventually start to become inconsistent. Unlike Furyk who has perfected an unconventional move into a consistent swing path and ball striking, Bubba seems to be making it up on every hole. Why try to hit a 70-yard hooked sand wedge into an open pin, except for the pure self-entertainment value of saying "Because I can"? At some point, what used to work, won't anymore and he will be searching for another "solution". Then the searches will become more frequent and because he does not rely on other eyes and/or opinions the self-doubt will creep in...and the downhill slide accelerates.

I hope I am wrong because I like Bubba's unconventional attitude and he appears to have a genuine "personality". But, I fear his window of success will be about two years. Then he will bounce back to the Nationwide Tour and after that....what?

Golf is a hard game....and sometimes a cruel one as well.

Rusty

SeanFTW
Apr 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
I love watching Bubba play. I am constantly amazed when watching him.

I can't count how many times I've seen him hit the ball and thought "oooh boy, that is going faaaar left....wait...what?! HOW IS HE BESIDE THE PIN??!!"

Samick
Apr 29, 2011, 02:56 PM
Bubba is entertaining...both for himself and the gallery. But, I have my doubts that he will be a lasting presence on the Tour.

IMO he has too many non-grooved parts to his swing that will eventually start to become inconsistent. Unlike Furyk who has perfected an unconventional move into a consistent swing path and ball striking, Bubba seems to be making it up on every hole. Why try to hit a 70-yard hooked sand wedge into an open pin, except for the pure self-entertainment value of saying "Because I can"? At some point, what used to work, won't anymore and he will be searching for another "solution". Then the searches will become more frequent and because he does not rely on other eyes and/or opinions the self-doubt will creep in...and the downhill slide accelerates.

I hope I am wrong because I like Bubba's unconventional attitude and he appears to have a genuine "personality". But, I fear his window of success will be about two years. Then he will bounce back to the Nationwide Tour and after that....what?

Rusty

Self entertainment, to satisfy his A.D.D.

Its an uncanny ability to hit those shots, but why hit the 40yd slinger from 130yds out when its a relatively open pin? Its also the reasons why he sometimes plays poorly.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. He is definately his own person...part of me likes him, part of me gets annoyed with him sometimes....especially when he is in Ben Crane's company. :cookoo:

unskinnybop99
Apr 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
On another note, it's cool to see David Hearn playing well. -5 after two rounds.

If Hearn finishes in the top 5 he may be ok for his card next year. This guy gets no respect in Canada. He was a solid player in the Nationwide tour.

wlorcb
Apr 29, 2011, 04:58 PM
Self entertainment, to satisfy his A.D.D.

Its an uncanny ability to hit those shots, but why hit the 40yd slinger from 130yds out when its a relatively open pin? Its also the reasons why he sometimes plays poorly.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. He is definately his own person...part of me likes him, part of me gets annoyed with him sometimes....especially when he is in Ben Crane's company. :cookoo:

Doesn't he do that simply because he doesn't have a straight shot that he can rely on.
If the 30 yard slice is consistent, why not aim one fairway to the right?

I golfed that way for 30 years:)

My problem was that even the slice wasn't consistent, so sometimes it went straight were I was aiming for,,oops.

I feel much better playing when I hit it straight, with a small fade.
I would kill for a draw.:p

Samick
Apr 30, 2011, 06:49 AM
Doesn't he do that simply because he doesn't have a straight shot that he can rely on.
If the 30 yard slice is consistent, why not aim one fairway to the right?

I golfed that way for 30 years:)

My problem was that even the slice wasn't consistent, so sometimes it went straight were I was aiming for,,oops.

I feel much better playing when I hit it straight, with a small fade.
I would kill for a draw.:p

In short, no.

Bubba works the ball both ways, and not by small margins either. Its not uncommon to see him hit a 50yd cut or draw. Sometimes the shot/hole calls for it....but not THAT much.

WILL
Apr 30, 2011, 08:29 AM
I love watching Bubba play. I agree that his method doesn't seem logical and it bugs me a bit as I'm rooting for him to win but at the same time, it's entertaining.

He's funny and I'm drawn to people that wear their hearts on their sleeve. Seems like a great guy.

I've never been a Mickleson fan but I sure enjoy watching his antics. You KNOW he's going for it, no matter how stupid it is to attempt or whats on the line. And thats just pure entertainment right there.

goshawk
Apr 30, 2011, 08:41 AM
The best group I can think of right now to follow on the course is Bubba and his best buddy Boo (if Boo is playing well at the time). They are both characters and extremely entertaining. On the rare occasions when they've played together, the gallery following them was one of the largest on the course. They'd both be part of one of my dream foursomes!!

Dano Twoface
Apr 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
i enjoy watching him play and who is to say he will fade? his game is only getting better and now that he has a couple wins under his belt he seems to be getting better and better
too many people worry about the swing techniques and their coaches?????
if you have IT you have IT
golf brings you up and brings you right down and it happens to every golfer
look at TIGER
why cant we just enjoy a good golfer having success
too many robots on TOUR and Bubba certainly does not fit that bill

Rusty

Dano Twoface
Apr 30, 2011, 09:09 AM
until he started wearing Travis Mathew, i always thought BUBBA was heavier, had no idea he was thin
dont like the VISOR though :p
and he could loosen up the top button;)
but he does look good in his new gear and as they say
"if you look good you will feel good, and it may help you play good"
seems to have worked for BUBBA
starts wearing Travis Mathew, he starts winning

Much better now that he's sportin the Travis Mathew line though. :)

Pingeye2_fan
Apr 30, 2011, 09:14 AM
until he started wearing Travis Mathew, i always thought BUBBA was heavier, had no idea he was thin
dont like the VISOR though :p
and he could loosen up the top button;)
but he does look good in his new gear and as they say
"if you look good you will feel good, and it may help you play good"
seems to have worked for BUBBA
starts wearing Travis Mathew, he starts winning

I think his old shirts were about two sizes two big for him.

richay
Apr 30, 2011, 09:47 AM
The best group I can think of right now to follow on the course is Bubba and his best buddy Boo (if Boo is playing well at the time). They are both characters and extremely entertaining. On the rare occasions when they've played together, the gallery following them was one of the largest on the course. They'd both be part of one of my dream foursomes!!
and completely opposite ball flights. Boo's dead straight... bubba... nuff said ahha

vijay
Apr 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think anyone can hit it as long and shape it with so much control as Bubba can.

He is a combination of John Daly, Phil Mickelson, and Ben Crane!

Golf needs more golfers like him!

I'd love to see DJ regain form and compete with Bubba on a more regular basis.

goshawk
Apr 30, 2011, 04:11 PM
and completely opposite ball flights. Boo's dead straight... bubba... nuff said ahhaYou may be right about them being "opposites", but they'd sure be a fun pair to hang with for 18 holes+!! :D

kevN
Apr 30, 2011, 09:04 PM
Bubba's says the reason he works the ball so much is because he doesn't see straight shots. He only sees curved lines to his shots.

I know I find it easier to curve shots as well. Its much harder for me to try to hit a straight shot than to hit a 20 yard slice off the tee or a 10-15 yard hook into the green.

Whenever I try to hit it straight I can't hit it flush. I don't know why.

Maybe everyone's wired a little differently?

vijay
May 1, 2011, 05:42 PM
Bubba Long, Bubba Strong, Bubba Clutch! 223yd shot from the bunker, double breaking putt ....what a performance!

Gotta feel for Web Simpson...penalty cost him the tournament.

mcgsxr
May 1, 2011, 05:54 PM
Congrats to Bubba!

While I agree that the penalty did cost Webb, I am not sure that it truly cost him the tourney - it did force the playoff. In the playoff, ultimately Bubba made the clutch putt.

WILL
May 1, 2011, 06:08 PM
Everything is comin up Bubba!

Fun to watch. I love playoffs.

Wish i could putt
May 1, 2011, 06:58 PM
Congrats to him.. Some crazy long iron shots into greens WOW 230-250 + and hitting irons nuts !!!

rhh7
May 1, 2011, 08:25 PM
I really like Bubba! Happy to see him win.

DavidY
May 1, 2011, 08:51 PM
Congrats to Bubba!

While I agree that the penalty did cost Webb, I am not sure that it truly cost him the tourney - it did force the playoff. In the playoff, ultimately Bubba made the clutch putt.

What was Webb's penalty on the 15th?

Bubba was hitting a 5 iron like 250 yards....driving the ball 340 yards on average.

Dave

Bellyhungry
May 1, 2011, 09:25 PM
The 3rd playoff hole tells me that hitting fairway is over rated.

Greywolf
May 2, 2011, 01:07 AM
Nice win for Bubba, Webb played well and is coming close to his first win soon, plus another top 10 finish for 2 gloves.

Shadow
May 2, 2011, 06:44 AM
While I agree that the penalty did cost Webb, I am not sure that it truly cost him the tourney. :confused: Without the penalty, Webb wins by 1. (-16 to -15) No playoff.

vijay
May 2, 2011, 06:54 AM
Nice win for Bubba, Webb played well and is coming close to his first win soon, plus another top 10 finish for 2 gloves.

I hope 2 gloves wins this year! He has been playing really well. Needs to figure out how to play good for 4 rounds.

Lefty17
May 2, 2011, 07:45 AM
Bubba's got more wins(3) then any other American player in the last year and a bit...:eek:

mcgsxr
May 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
:confused: Without the penalty, Webb wins by 1. (-16 to -15) No playoff.

All I was suggesting is that although the penalty caused the playoff, Webb certainly did have a good chance to win the tourney during the playoff. Had he put one in the water on the first playoff hole and lost, I would feel worse for him. As it stands, he played well in all 3 playoff holes, but missed a critical putt that would have forced the 4th - Bubba hit his putt.

sharkhark
May 2, 2011, 10:01 AM
Calling a penalty on a ball moving when standing so awkwardly...it almost didn't look like he was in his stance..
I saw him start, webb, taking too much time am issue he had in past.near end he got too deliberate.hopefully he learns, nice guy.

Bern
May 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
Calling a penalty on a ball moving when standing so awkwardly...it almost didn't look like he was in his stance..
I saw him start, webb, taking too much time am issue he had in past.near end he got too deliberate.hopefully he learns, nice guy.

It's tough making a $500,000 mistake.