Collapse

Comparing Mcilroy to Sergio

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Mcilroy to Sergio

I'm getting annoyed with Nobilo for suggesting several times that Rory may have a career like Sergio's!
    Here is why I think Rory will not have a career like Sergio's ans will win a few majors before he is 31.

1. Rory has a sense of humor!
    2. Rory is less emotional. He does not get too excited or too depressed.
    3. Rory can putt!
    4. Rory may not have to contend with a dominant Tiger.
    What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
    - Arnold Palmer

Re: Comparing Mcilroy to Sergio

I expect Rory to have the exact same career trajectory as Sergio.

They are nearly identical. Just look at the facts:

They're both male.
    They're both young when their careers start.
    They're both not American.

IDENTICAL.... Of course they'll follow similar paths.

When I was young, I met two girls who were left handed. Unsurprisingly, they both died in different boating accidents while commuting to their board exams for otlaryngolical surgery....

(btw, Frank's a simpleton)
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      I expect Rory to have the exact same career trajectory as Sergio.

They are nearly identical. Just look at the facts:

They're both male.
      They're both young when their careers start.
      They're both not American.

IDENTICAL.... Of course they'll follow similar paths.

When I was young, I met two girls who were left handed. Unsurprisingly, they both died in different boating accidents while commuting to their board exams for otlaryngolical surgery....

(btw, Frank's a simpleton)
      . I will be worried if Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo and David Feherty say the same thing. Or when Rory goes through a 20 regrip sequence before hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by vijay View Post
        I'm getting annoyed with Nobilo for suggesting several times that Rory may have a career like Sergio's!
        Here is why I think Rory will not have a career like Sergio's ans will win a few majors before he is 31.

1. Rory has a sense of humor!
        2. Rory is less emotional. He does not get too excited or too depressed.
        3. Rory can putt!
        4. Rory may not have to contend with a dominant Tiger.
        I think you are maybe not being fair for Sergio.

1) The stories of Sergio and Oli having a blast together on the course are out there. When english is not your native language, some things don't translate as well (no pun intended).
        2) Really? Rory was nearly in tears at the masters and he is easily as streaky as Sergio, maybe more so.
        3) Rory can putt "this week". But putting is the worst part of his game in the past year. Streaky at best and looks to have been helped by his Stockton session before this week
        4) True but he has to contend with a ton of other 20-somethings and a few of the old guard

I think Rory will have quite a similar career to that of Sergio. But remember, Sergio has had a pretty good career so far, despite falling off the map for nearly three years.

Frank Nobilo is a pretty astute guy with tons of golf knowledge. If Rory keeps it up this weekend, he can make a compelling case for himself.

And to be clear, I am a big Rory fan.

Titleist Bags
        Ping G15 Driver 10.5
        Ping G25 3 Wood 15
        Ping G25 Hybrid 20
        Ping G25 Hybrid 23
        Ping I25 4-PW Steel
        Titleist SM4 50/54/58 Degree
        Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
        Ping Anser (Original)
        Bushnell Z6

Comment

I hope he does break through and becomes the dominant player for the next decade.

Comment

^ I hope he does break through, but dominate? No way! I'd like to see a return to an era of golf, with a bunch of talented young players all competing and winning their share.

Let's hope for a new decade of compelling golf, and if Rory is one of the guys leading that charge, then I'm all for that.

But I can see McIlroy, Ishikawa, Kaymer, DJ, Bubba and who know's what other young guys in the pipe, giving us some hope for a new generation.

Most of the old guard are suddenly hitting the late 30's early 40's and their days of dominance are ending, even if a few like Stricker enjoy a brief 40's success.

As to the original thought: yes, there is the chance that Rory ends up like Sergio, never winning the big one. But personally, I don't think it will happen. I'm hoping Rory wins this weekend.
            Member Whitecourt Golf & Country Club

"I don't ever get to play Tiger,"
            "So I don't give a damn about Tiger."
            Tom Watson.

I wonder what Moe would say...

Anybody but Tiger.

Comment

I think it's too early to say how good Rory will be; if he does have a career like Sergio that'd be great, but he'd have to win 18 tournaments in the next 8 years or so to catch Sergio.

Sergio has had a great career so far; 20 professional wins by age 30 is great by any standards... that said, given his talent a lot of people expected more, including some major wins. I don't think Sergio is done, and will win a major soon. He should of had one by now, but missed by an inch.

GO SERGIO GO! YOU CAN DO IT!

Is it obvious I'm a huge fan of his?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X