PDA

View Full Version : Where are THEY now?

dhacker56
Nov 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
Who are "THEY"? Tiger bashers! that's who. So was Freddy still wrong?

Two points won! And really can not blame him for the loss of the other two.
With Stricker neither looked real good but in the loss with Johnson they were just outplayed. They did not really lose the International pair WON that one.

I guess Freddy knew what he was doing.

I guess the next to be bashed will be the Shark for picking Allenby instead of Singh.

ace in the hazard
Nov 20, 2011, 08:35 AM
i am a fan (fanboy to some), but it's not like tiger really lit it up. while he played really well to finish it off, don't forget that going into the last day, only Allenby had fewer points. tiger says it was his putting on the first three days, but his driving left something to be desired as well.

i hope he keeps on improving cause he's just so much fun to watch. you can tell that his confidence still needs some time though when he says things like "i was hoping it wouldn't come down to my match". insert cliches about stars wanting the ball on the last play of the game, but years ago, could you imagine him saying that?

Lefty17
Nov 20, 2011, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't be calling out TW fans after his performance this week.

Like Ace said he wasn't exactly at the top when it came to his first 4 matches. He played really well in the singles but he still needs to win more and putt better for me to say he's back.

dhacker56
Nov 20, 2011, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't be calling out TW fans after his performance this week.

Like Ace said he wasn't exactly at the top when it came to his first 4 matches. He played really well in the singles but he still needs to win more and putt better for me to say he's back.

You need to go back and watch.... What help did he get from Stricker?
Then he wins with Johnson. In the loss with Johnson they both played well but were outplayed. That happens in match play. Then he wins his singles.
Finished 2-2. Not bad for a TRUE HACK!!!
My main point was no one said anything about Norman picking Allenby.

Lefty17
Nov 20, 2011, 09:07 AM
You need to go back and watch.... What help did he get from Stricker?
Then he wins with Johnson. In the loss with Johnson they both played well but were outplayed. That happens in match play. Then he wins his singles.
Finished 2-2. Not bad for a TRUE HACK!!!
My main point was no one said anything about Norman picking Allenby.

I would have never picked Allenby.... My captains pick would have been Louis O...tough to argue with the golf he's been playing.

I watched and still think Tiger needs more time. He played well but didn't light it up that's for sure. I'm a Tiger fan by the way.

nearace
Nov 20, 2011, 09:18 AM

With Stricker neither looked real good but in the loss with Johnson they were just outplayed. They did not really lose the International pair WON that one.

I guess the next to be bashed will be the Shark for picking Allenby instead of Singh.he did ok,but is still a poor excuse for a husband and father.

milhaus
Nov 20, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm right here.

He batted .500. Whoop de doo... Still hasn't won anything individually in a while ... Call me when he puts together four great rounds.

pugs
Nov 20, 2011, 11:29 AM
I personally don't care if it looks like Couples knew what he was doing or not by picking Woods. Keegan Bradley deserved to be there. Plus, there were others that should have been chosen before Woods. I hope Bradley has another opportunity to make the next Presidents Cup or the Ryder Cup teams. If something happens to him, such as career ending injury or worse, or if his game falls apart, and he doesn't get that opportunity in the future it will be a shame he didn't get his chance to play in this years Presidents Cup. It could have been a once in a lifetime opportunity he missed out on.

Lollihed
Nov 20, 2011, 11:32 AM
:girl_hug:

gbrgolf
Nov 20, 2011, 11:35 AM

I guess the next to be bashed will be the Shark for picking Allenby instead of Singh.

Just a wild stab....... dhacker has more than one Tiger poster on his wall!!!

Hey Tiger was outstanding yesterday, but I think a friendly match is hardly the determining factor of his return to prominence.
The cool thing about Tiger not dominating golf, is that maybe we can all get over this "Tiger lovers" vs " Tiger haters" mentality. Maybe now we can all just have guys that we follow and cheer for and stop the negative stuff!!

Tanner
Nov 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
I personally don't care if it looks like Couples knew what he was doing or not by picking Woods. Keegan Bradley deserved to be there. Plus, there were others that should have been chosen before Woods. I hope Bradley has another opportunity to make the next Presidents Cup or the Ryder Cup teams. If something happens to him, such as career ending injury or worse, or if his game falls apart, and he doesn't get that opportunity in the future it will be a shame he didn't get his chance to play in this years Presidents Cup. It could have been a once in a lifetime opportunity he missed out on.

Are you sure? The only people who deserved to be there made it in based on points. Couples could have chosen boo weekly and andres Gonzalez if he felt like it. That's what captains picks are, they give him the opportunity to put someone on the team who didn't earn their way on.

Bellyhungry
Nov 20, 2011, 11:47 AM
From what I saw, Tiger managed to hit his iron where and how he wanted to the last 3 days better than any moment in the last 2 years. Many people paid attention because they wanted to see if he really was making progress, it does not really matter who he played and whom he got matched up with or against at the P-Cup.

His short game which was an abomination seems to have returned as well.

Even though the putts didn't drop on day 2 and 3, he was able to get them to tap-in range - anyone who has been paying close attention would agree that that was not the case the last 2 years.

A little redemption for Foley, I imagine.

gbrgolf
Nov 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
Are you sure? The only people who deserved to be there made it in based on points. Couples could have chosen boo weekly and andres Gonzalez if he felt like it. That's what captains picks are, they give him the opportunity to put someone on the team who didn't earn their way on.

Hey Tanner,
You hit the nail on the head. On Tour, whenever any player complains about a ruling or anything to do with the "system" that reduces their opportunities to compete..... the common answer is......"play better"
Every player that did not make the Prez Cup team had the chance to qualify on points..... Bradley (as great of a guy as he is) did not!!!
On another note, I do hope that everyone here realizes that this is about the least competitive event these guys play in all year...... it's all about ego (of being picked) and more important bonus's in their contracts.
Tiger being picked, added to TV ratings, which in turn added to the PGA Tour players pension fund...... that's all that really matters and the only reason these guys show up!!!
Note to those upset about anybody not being picked for the team...... don't lose sleep, the players aren't!!!

ace in the hazard
Nov 20, 2011, 12:14 PM
Even though the putts didn't drop on day 2 and 3, he was able to get them to tap-in range - anyone who has been paying close attention would agree that that was not the case the last 2 years.

especially when the greens are running 14+!?!?!

nothing i've ever played has come close to that. fastest was probably paintbrush on a really windy day last summer after a couple of days with no rain. those tiers made it fun, but 14? that must be like greased glass

under4hrs
Nov 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
Re: Tiger vs. Keegan

Think about how ths event is funded - tickets, advertisers, and tv contracts. Who do you think the gallery/patrons want to see...Keegan Bradley or Tiger Woods? Tv fans...think they record golf to watch Keegan play?

This is an exhibition...supposed to be fun to watch...

hogannut
Nov 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long for a thread like this to pop up.

IMO.....Freddy's pick had more to do with under4hrs comments than his merit as a golfer. ANYONE other than Tiger would have been so far gone in Freddy's rear view mirror. Can anyone honestly say that Freddy would have a picked a guy like Jonathon Byrd who is currently ranked 57th in the world. If I am correct Tiger was 58th in WGR when he was picked.

TIger got picked on his past performaces and his personal relationship with Freddy, NOT on his play in 2011, in which Keegan Bradely was superior. Maybe Freddy had a hunch, so good on him for going with it, but Tiger did not look ready to play in his local club championship when he was picked. So good on Tiger as well for picking up his game and making Freddy look like a genius.

Just like under4hrs said, TV ratings, ticket sales are more important for this event then the players in the field. My question is if this was the Ryder Cup and the USA captain wasn't a Tiger fan would Tiger have been on the team?

trunckslammer1
Nov 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long for a thread like this to pop up.

IMO.....Freddy's pick had more to do with under4hrs comments than his merit as a golfer. ANYONE other than Tiger would have been so far gone in Freddy's rear view mirror. Can anyone honestly say that Freddy would have a picked a guy like Jonathon Byrd who is currently ranked 57th in the world. If I am correct Tiger was 58th in WGR when he was picked.

TIger got picked on his past performaces and his personal relationship with Freddy, NOT on his play in 2011, in which Keegan Bradely was superior. Maybe Freddy had a hunch, so good on him for going with it, but Tiger did not look ready to play in his local club championship when he was picked. So good on Tiger as well for picking up his game and making Freddy look like a genius.

Just like under4hrs said, TV ratings, ticket sales are more important for this event then the players in the field. My question is if this was the Ryder Cup and the USA captain wasn't a Tiger fan would Tiger have been on the team?

Not much different then Norman picking Robert Allenby when he could have picked Louis O, Vijay etc. Allenby was ranked 60+ in the world.
Like G said. PLAY BETTER.
Armchair Quarterbacks will always second guess when things go right or wrong. Couples probably picked someone who he has seen and play with and know how competitive TW is. Bradly may having been playing well, but only in the PGA championship and after. Before that he was not. To me Webb Simpson certainly had a more consistant year.
Look at Jason Day and how he stinks even though he had a great 2011.
Tiger is one of the best match play competitor there is especially one on one. Jim Furyk is another one. I think if Furyk was not in the #10 spot, Couples would have picked him instead of Bill Haas.

dhacker56
Nov 20, 2011, 08:23 PM
he did ok,but is still a poor excuse for a husband and father.

Very astute. what gave you that idea. You are definitely right about his being a poor husband but how do you know how he is with his kids?

In case you did not read the OP I was not referring to Tiger as a husband but as a golfer. This is a golf forum not one to discuss someone's morals.

Big Shooter
Nov 20, 2011, 09:29 PM
He looked good on Sunday, but that's about it....and this was more of a loose/fun event....Certainly not a full field or Major :nono::shhh:
....TIME WILL TELL!!

dhacker56
Nov 20, 2011, 09:35 PM
Pretty tough to play from where Stricker left him on Thursday.
He hit 70% of the Fairways and 70% of the greens for the weekend!

Pubknight
Nov 20, 2011, 09:52 PM

I'd ease off a bit in planning the Tiger parade.
Yes, he played well... in one of the 5 rounds of golf he played over the 4 days.
Ball striking was good, but the putting just didn't cut it in the other rounds.

If that were a pga tournament, he wouldn't have made the cut to see the weekend.
One round does not a comeback complete.
The way I see it, on Sunday, the 50-something ranked player in the world beat the 40 something ranked player in the world.
Not sure I see that as cause for too much excitement/interest one way or the other.
Kind of like if Jacksonville beat Miami in NFL terms. Good for them, but would anyone else care?

Ignatius Reilly
Nov 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
I have a simple way of looking at scoring. If a pairing wins a point, I award each player 1/2 point. If they get a half point, I give each 1/4. Winning a singles match is worth a full point. That way, when you add everyone's contribution you arrive at the team's total score.

So based on that Tiger won 1.5 points. That's better than 3 of the team, worse than 4, and equal to 5. Very middle of the pack. Not bad (like Daddy's boy Haas) or great (like Furyk, or Mahan). Here's how it works out:

Furyk 3
Mahan 2.5
Toms 2
Watney 1.75
Mickleson 1.5
Simpson 1.5
Stricker 1.5
Tiger 1.5
Watson 1.5
Bill Haas 0.75
Johnson 0.75
Kuchar 0.75

And here's how the Internationals did in comparison:

Ogilvy 2.25
Schwarzel 2.25
Goosen 2
Ishikawa 1.5
KJ Choi 1.5
KT Kim 1.5
Scott 1.5
Baddely 0.75
Jason Day 0.75
Els 0.5
YE Yang 0.5
Allenby 0

So Tiger did okay. He played as well as KT Kim and Ryo Ishikawa, but not as well as Goosen, Toms, Mahan, Furyk...

Tough week for Day, Baddely and Allenby....

I'm hardly a hater, but I'm not enough of a fan to think that his win in one singles match over a struggling Aaron Baddeley signifies much of anything.

His ball striking was great all week. His driver was awful most of the time, and his putter was weak until Sunday. Definitely a better week for TW, but he's not back on top of the world quite yet.

Richd
Nov 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
he did ok,but is still a poor excuse for a husband and father.
that's why he is no longer a husband...but i don't think anybody on here knows if he is a good father or not.