PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Jonny Miller, shut up.

mdgolf
Nov 21, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hey there Johnny Miller. Why don't you just stop talking.

Seriously, we get it. No one is good at golf except for you in 1973.

Seriously, we know that no one ever hits good shots, they always hit bad shots. We know that you don't understand how tour pros can fail to execute because you were perfect for one day 40 years ago.

But seriously, Johnny, it's getting old. Just shut up. Please, just shut up.

:shhh:

Seriously.

hackerhare
Nov 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
They are commentators. They are paid to talk. If I get sick and tired of listening to them, I just turn down the volume and watch the action. Is Azinger, Faldo, etc. any better??

mdgolf
Nov 21, 2011, 12:50 AM
They are commentators. They are paid to talk. If I get sick and tired of listening to them, I just turn down the volume and watch the action. Is Azinger, Faldo, etc. any better??

Yes, I think they are both much much better.

mpare
Nov 21, 2011, 06:56 AM
I don't always agree with Johnny, but I enjoy him. I'd be happier with him if he opened up more on the psychology of the game. For instance, his inability to putt late in his career drove him off the tour. He must know better than most how that eats away at your self-confidence. That's something he could and should use in analyzing today's players.

And just to set the record straight, he was one of golf's best ball strikers, and that talent lasted a long time.

laps
Nov 21, 2011, 08:24 AM
Does anyone else think that Feherty was trying too hard to be funny? Most of his one-liners were lame. I would rather have fewer but better one-liners.

Dufferguy
Nov 21, 2011, 08:53 AM
Johnny Miller knows more about the game than anyone else on TV. He may talk too much but what he says is usually bang on, insightful, and enlightening. What I like most about him is he says what's on his mind - no holes barred. Who else on TV does that other than Don Cherry.

Ignatius Reilly
Nov 21, 2011, 09:08 AM
Johnny (and others) are paid to comment on the golf. If you don't want to hear them you have to turn off the sound. If they didn't talk they would be fired!

I happen to like Miller. He's very knowledgeable and he speaks his mind. I find those to be good qualities. He makes as many positive comments about shots as he does negatives. He called a number of shots 9 or 10 out of 10 yesterday, and they were spectacular shots.

He's much better than Faldo or Azinger.

As for Feherty - he is in danger of overdoing it. He has a brilliant wit and can come up with some terrific lines, but they have to be spontaneous and natural. His planned comedy is lame - I remember him reporting from somebody's terrible lie in the rough and when he returned he'd stuck a bunch of leaves and grasses on his pants. It was lame, and he can do so much better.

I remember a couple of years back when Vijay pulled a high wood to hit (7W? 9W?) and Feherty said that it was his grandma's favourite club... :)

Mersey
Nov 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
I like Johnny Miller. I think he knows what he's talking about.

I much prefer Johnny Miller to Brandel Chamblee.

Miller has won two majors in his 32 professional wins(25 on the PGA).
Chamblee has 2 wins total, one on the PGA and the other on the Nationwide.

Bellyhungry
Nov 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Johnny (and others) are paid to comment on the golf. If you don't want to hear them you have to turn off the sound. If they didn't talk they would be fired!

I happen to like Miller. He's very knowledgeable and he speaks his mind. I find those to be good qualities. He makes as many positive comments about shots as he does negatives. He called a number of shots 9 or 10 out of 10 yesterday, and they were spectacular shots.

He's much better than Faldo or Azinger.

As for Feherty - he is in danger of overdoing it. He has a brilliant wit and can come up with some terrific lines, but they have to be spontaneous and natural. His planned comedy is lame - I remember him reporting from somebody's terrible lie in the rough and when he returned he'd stuck a bunch of leaves and grasses on his pants. It was lame, and he can do so much better.

I remember a couple of years back when Vijay pulled a high wood to hit (7W? 9W?) and Feherty said that it was his grandma's favourite club... :)

I like Johnny Miller, mainly because of his candid approach, but also because he only calls marquee tournaments. I recall reading somewhere a few years back that he only does 9 tournaments per year, so it is not like he is in our face all the time.

As for Feherty, I agree with you. He is fine giving some quick quips here and there, but if he is in the main booth, his schticks could wear thin very quick and he has a tendency to get out of control.

With respect to Zinger, I had a tweet exchange with him during this year's British Open re some comments he made and he ended up banning me. :$

The Troll
Nov 21, 2011, 10:13 AM
Johnny is great though I would like him better if he could forget about his 63.

Feherty I just don't get and don't find him funny at all.

Zinger has his ups and downs but anyone who bans Belly is aces in my books. :D

Weirfan
Nov 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Johnny Miller knows more about the game than anyone else on TV. He may talk too much but what he says is usually bang on, insightful, and enlightening. What I like most about him is he says what's on his mind - no holes barred. Who else on TV does that other than Don Cherry.

I agree......Johnny Miller does a fantastic job.

like somebody said....just turn it off or down..........I love baseball but cannot stand Jamie Oliver or Rod Black ( anything they commentate) so just turn on the radio and listen toe Jerry announce the game and watch it on tv

have you ever heard Chris Berman or Mike Turico announce golf........it's enough to make you want to listen to country music instead:rofl:

Malibook
Nov 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hey there Johnny Miller. Why don't you just stop talking.

Seriously, we get it. No one is good at golf except for you in 1973.

Seriously, we know that no one ever hits good shots, they always hit bad shots. We know that you don't understand how tour pros can fail to execute because you were perfect for one day 40 years ago.

But seriously, Johnny, it's getting old. Just shut up. Please, just shut up.

:shhh:

Seriously.Are you crazy or just delusional? :cookoo:

Miller had a lot of high praise for several players.

TheSaxemachine
Nov 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
I like Miller, but am glad he isn't there all the time. I'm a fan of Sir Nick though.

mpare
Nov 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
Quite apart from him sending you to the dog house, Belly, my respect for Zinger had earlier disappeared when he referred to "your President" in a tweet to another American with whom he disagreed. He appears to have forgotten that President Obama is the President and Commander in Chief of all Americans, including small "c" conservatives like Mr. Azinger.

mdgolf
Nov 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
I should maybe say that my outburst was not a reaction to the President's Cup coverage alone.

Rather, it is an admittedly immature overreaction to many years of what I consider to be unnecessarily valenced comments to the negative side.

My view is that commentary that could be neutralized (not to say commentary Should be neutral) is too often negative in a non-contributary way when it comes from Johnny.

Worlds of Respect to Sir Nick also to whoever mentioned that!

Are you crazy or just delusional? :cookoo:

Miller had a lot of high praise for several players.

Pubknight
Nov 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
I find Miller's schtick gets a bit old.
He seems to get guys in his crosshairs, and it doesn't matter what they do that day, it's never enough and his commentary is just overly (and unnecessarily) negative.
Greatly prefer Faldo.
It's like Faldo understands that sometimes guys are going to hit bad shots... it's part of the game. But in Miller's eyes, any bad shot is completely unforgiveable.

But, Miller does throw out some very interesting observations, so I can't bring myself to mute him. (i.e. pointing out how Jason Day struggles out of the rough due to his approach being very shallow).
So instead I just mutter at the tv a lot.
To the point that my wife has asked me, "When you're watching golf, I keep hearing you say 'shuddupmiller'. What's a shuddupmiller?"

rgk5
Nov 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
Sure Miller gets acerbic from time to time but contrast his commentary with the eternal apologist Peter Kostis who never seems to find fault with any Tour player.

From 1974-1976 Miller was the best ball striker in the world. At home, I have the same set of relentlessly unforgiving irons that he used in his phenomenal three year run. I'll forgive him for being over the top in his criticism considering the far superior equipment that today's players use.

mdgolf
Nov 21, 2011, 01:34 PM
Got to agree there, opposed to Kostis it may just magnify the nature of his commentary.

No doubt that Miller was the best ball striker on the planet in the mid 70s. Not denying that. I think that its old news though and I find that his personal accomplishments find their way into the conversation too often in opposition to a struggling player's woes. No one reminds us about how great Johnny Miller WAS more than Johnny Miller. It's too bad because he was great.

Sure Miller gets acerbic from time to time but contrast his commentary with the eternal apologist Peter Kostis who never seems to find fault with any Tour player.

From 1974-1976 Miller was the best ball striker in the world. At home, I have the same set of relentlessly unforgiving irons that he used in his phenomenal three year run. I'll forgive him for being over the top in his criticism considering the far superior equipment that today's players use.

jmac
Nov 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
I like Miller 90% of the time. The only time he makes for bad TV is when he starts trying to defend his opinion after the moment has past.

Johnny, we all understand that over the period of four days of golf your analysis isn't going to be perfect all the time. The two or three times per day you look to be wrong after the shot is hit, please don't spend another 30 seconds explaining that you were sort of right or you actually meant this or that.

I know he hates to be wrong but it just slows down the broadcast. Bad hockey broadcasters do this too!

All in all, Miller is great for TV golf.

mdgolf
Nov 21, 2011, 02:17 PM
I gotta say, I did not anticipate so many Miller boosters to be milling about in the woods here. Maybe I need to watch the next big tournament through a new lens to reassess my opinion. :confused:

chris0529
Nov 21, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'll be the first to say it took me a while to warm up to Johnny
but between Johnny and Faldo they are my favorite.
In regards to someone mentioning Brandel Chamblee I enjoy
listenting to him as a historian of the game.
He has some very neat stories he tells from time to time and also
seems to know his stats for what it's worth.

vijay
Nov 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
Anyone but Faldo!

PistolPete
Nov 21, 2011, 04:56 PM
Rod Black ruined the Skins game years ago for me. Just absolutely brutal in comparison to Faldo and Miller

Bravesox
Nov 21, 2011, 05:23 PM
Miller is great because he calls it the way he sees it.... Brutally Honest, Faldo just makes me laugh and he knows what he is talking about too. Zinger, he's smart but super annoying. Kostis should be left for the swing breakdown and shut off his mic for the rest of the tourny. Chamblee...all depends on who the tv is showing. Feherty will speak off the wall...but if you like his sense of humour watch his show, not a golf tourney.

slightdraw
Nov 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Johnny is the best. No other announcer does their homework like Johnny.he walks the course in the morning, checks the pins, tee setup, everything. He can tell you the percentages of pros from 60 yards getting up and down. The only thing he needs to stop is talking about grain on putts. It's the biggest joke among superintendents, there is no such thing as grain when the greens are cut at 90/1000th of an inch and Johnny makes it sound like a science, so funny.

dekker
Nov 23, 2011, 12:40 AM
Johnny is the best. No other announcer does their homework like Johnny.he walks the course in the morning, checks the pins, tee setup, everything. He can tell you the percentages of pros from 60 yards getting up and down. The only thing he needs to stop is talking about grain on putts. It's the biggest joke among superintendents, there is no such thing as grain when the greens are cut at 90/1000th of an inch and Johnny makes it sound like a science, so funny.

hate to break it to you but Miller is right about grain. The fact that it is cut to .090 provides only a temporary respite from its deflection and speed. Grass continues to grow through the day at a rate of .001/15 minutes, meaning the last group will have to contend with grass that is .110.

Grain is mostly the product of slope in the green and grass will always take the easy route and grow with the direction of the slope. So, for instance, when you have an uphill right to left putt you're not just forced to consider the clipped tips which face into the approaching ball but also how much they take a directional cue from the slope which will deflect the ball as it slows.

just for a minute imagine grain in terms of grains on sandpaper set on a curved incline. As the ball rolls on top of the sandpaper one of those tiny angled grains,will make it change direction and take the curve of the slope as it slows.

Maybe Supers imagine tightly mowed greens as sandpaper.

mpare
Nov 23, 2011, 06:30 AM
And depending on the type of grass, the challenges for the golfer will be even greater. For example, Bermuda and Poa Annua, especially late in the day, can drive you nuts.

hate to break it to you but Miller is right about grain. The fact that it is cut to .090 provides only a temporary respite from its deflection and speed. Grass continues to grow through the day at a rate of .001/15 minutes, meaning the last group will have to contend with grass that is .110.

Grain is mostly the product of slope in the green and grass will always take the easy route and grow with the direction of the slope. So, for instance, when you have an uphill right to left putt you're not just forced to consider the clipped tips which face into the approaching ball but also how much they take a directional cue from the slope which will deflect the ball as it slows.

just for a minute imagine grain in terms of grains on sandpaper set on a curved incline. As the ball rolls on top of the sandpaper one of those tiny angled grains,will make it change direction and take the curve of the slope as it slows.

Maybe Supers imagine tightly mowed greens as sandpaper.

Bellyhungry
Nov 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
And depending on the type of grass, the challenges for the golfer will be even greater. For example, Bermuda and Poa Annua, especially late in the day, can drive you nuts.

Gives new meaning to 'watching grass grows.' :)

<<BSD>>
Nov 23, 2011, 09:28 AM

^ second that!