PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Luke Donald

Lefty17
Dec 11, 2011, 09:26 AM
Luke made a little bit of history today winning both European Tour Order of Merit.

All in all this has been maybe one of the best years I've seen in my young age that doesn't have Tiger attached to it.

chiantibro
Dec 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
Great post. He does so many things well, but his short game is fantastic. It will be an interesting '12 in golf, to see who will get better, move up or fade away. Unless the Mayans are right, of course.

Lefty17
Dec 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Great post. He does so many things well, but his short game is fantastic. It will be an interesting '12 in golf, to see who will get better, move up or fade away. Unless the Mayans are right, of course.

I'm going with a big IF everyone that played well this year continues to play well next year like the Keegans, Luke, Rory, others regain form and continue they're solid play and so on it will be a very competitive year in golf. I'm sure we'll have some surprises like every year but I can see a very top heavy(Top 25 in the world) dominating golf.

Borbor
Dec 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
On a side note; if I ever have to place a bet on a tournament held in the desert regions, my money will always be on Quiros.

3 of his 6 wins on the euro tour came in the desert. Two alone this year.

Weirfan
Dec 11, 2011, 10:39 AM
Unquestionably the best and most consistent player in the world .....

Great accomplishment that will likely never be replicated

cuonthe1t
Dec 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
-19 top tens in 25 events

dOubleO
Dec 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
Unquestionably CURRENTLY the best and most consistent player in the world .....

Fixed.

You may get the wrath of non-Donald fans

Playthru
Dec 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
Most encouraging for a lot of golfers - you can be outdriven 50 yards by the long hitters and still dominate!

gbrgolf
Dec 11, 2011, 11:41 AM
And he uses shafts in his driver and 3 wood from Canada!!!! (shameless plug!)
Classy guy who works as hard at his craft as anybody.
I totally agree with an earlier post.... this is going to be a fun year....
Tiger, seemingly finding his stride and so many guys poised to have great years..... look out 2012!! personally, I can't wait!

rpangman
Dec 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
Both titles in one year. What a feat. Wow.

vijay
Dec 11, 2011, 11:55 AM
Great achievement. Happy for Luke!
Not very long, but in usually on the fairway and is lethal from 150 yds in.

Borbor
Dec 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
Unquestionably the best and most consistent player in the world .....

Great accomplishment that will likely never be replicated

That's not entirely correct.

Lee Westwood won just a shade over 3 million in 2000 to get the order of merit title. Tiger woods won over 4 million in 9 events; but since the number of events was below minimum requirement, he wasn't listed as the winner of the Order of Merit.

Same case in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007. Won more money than the actual Order of Merit winner; but played in under the minimum # of events.

But to do it actually PROPERLY in that Donald played in more than the minimum # is I agree, a great feat. Considering the fashion in which he won the PGA money title as well.

Malibook
Dec 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
Both titles in one year. What a feat. Wow.
Plus Simpson and McIlroy played 37% and 46% more events than Donald.

Donald is easily the best golfer now but he needs to get some big wins.

hbassi
Dec 11, 2011, 01:18 PM
Just a question - does the money list now exclude the 4 fed ex cup events?

If so, that is at least 3 big money events that use to be on the money list now omitted. Especially the Player's, always was one of the biggest pay day's.

Good for Luke, next year will be a bit tougher to repeat this. With Westwood and Rory playing on the PGA Tour full time.

Bellyhungry
Dec 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Defining year for Donald: #1 OWGR, new daugther, father passed on, winning money title on both tours.

BigRigger
Dec 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
Defining year for Donald: #1 OWGR, new daughter, father passed on, winning money title on both tours.

Perfectly put. Seems like a genuinely nice guy as well. Wish him nothing but the best.

tickyboy
Dec 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
And he uses shafts in his driver and 3 wood from Canada!!!! (shameless plug!)
Classy guy who works as hard at his craft as anybody.
I totally agree with an earlier post.... this is going to be a fun year....
Tiger, seemingly finding his stride and so many guys poised to have great years..... look out 2012!! personally, I can't wait!

what does he use??

Borbor
Dec 11, 2011, 06:16 PM
Accra

TourIQ
Dec 11, 2011, 08:05 PM
Defining year for Donald: #1 OWGR, new daugther, father passed on, winning money title on both tours.and he plays Mizuno irons :D
congratulations to gbr on the shaft fitting

dekker
Dec 12, 2011, 03:34 AM
all done without benefit of flash or glam, just an honest game.:)
Of course there are nits that think this is boring.

Richd
Dec 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
All in all this has been maybe one of the best years I've seen in my young age that doesn't have Tiger attached to it.
what about Vijay's 2004 (included a major)

HacknSlash
Dec 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
What is the hardest thing for most of us to do in golf? Be consistent week to week. He did that. And keep that pace and consistency on two tours with the travel and all the changes.

Plus the way he finished had to win at Disney to get the PGA money title and did. And then coming to Dubai the was a chance he could be caught and he needed to finish high there and he ends up in 3rd. Impressive.

Bwadd
Dec 12, 2011, 10:02 AM
This guy is the real deal and deserves his #1 ranking.

laxgolf
Dec 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
and he plays Mizuno irons :D
congratulations to gbr on the shaft fitting

Whoa. So a TGNer played a key role in getting Luke Donald to #1 globally?

That's pretty frickin cool if you ask me.:hyper:

Richd
Dec 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
This guy is the real deal and deserves his #1 ranking.

are they other number 1's who don't deserve it?

Bwadd
Dec 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
are they other number 1's who don't deserve it?

Actually there was a lot of talk about is Luke Donald a real #1 since he has not won a major etc...

Just stating that he deserves it...

gbrgolf
Dec 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
Just a question - does the money list now exclude the 4 fed ex cup events?

If so, that is at least 3 big money events that use to be on the money list now omitted. Especially the Player's, always was one of the biggest pay day's.

Good for Luke, next year will be a bit tougher to repeat this. With Westwood and Rory playing on the PGA Tour full time.

The FedEx Cup events (4 events) money is a huge part of the PGA Tour money rankings!!! Players Championship earning also still count towards PGA Tour earnings, that's how KJ got so high!!
Winning the PGA Tour money list is never easy, I'm not sure that Westwood and McIlroy will finish in the top 5.....they are going to play a somewhat limited schedule and the competition is going to be so tough!!

Bellyhungry
Dec 12, 2011, 05:23 PM
The FedEx Cup events (4 events) money is a huge part of the PGA Tour money rankings!!! Players Championship earning also still count towards PGA Tour earnings, that's how KJ got so high!!
Winning the PGA Tour money list is never easy, I'm not sure that Westwood and McIlroy will finish in the top 5.....they are going to play a somewhat limited schedule and the competition is going to be so tough!!

Just to add to this....

The tournament money counts, but the bonus for finishing top 10 in the FedEx Cup standing does not. Otherwise, Bill Haas would have won the money title this year.

gbrgolf
Dec 12, 2011, 09:28 PM
Just to add to this....

The tournament money counts, but the bonus for finishing top 10 in the FedEx Cup standing does not. Otherwise, Bill Haas would have won the money title this year.

When the Fedex Cup event was created it was decided by the Tour that the year end "Bonus's" would not count towards the money title as the players and Tour wanted the "Money Title" Champion to reflect year long consistency as it has since the PGA Tour began awarding this prestigious prize! Check out the long list of PGA Tour Money leaders!! Congrats Luke for joining that list!

golfnguru
Dec 12, 2011, 09:47 PM
what about Vijay's 2004 (included a major)

His 2010 would have been better if he didn't hurt his shoulder.

Richd
Dec 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
His 2010 would have been better if he didn't hurt his shoulder.

you mean 2011......:D