What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What my TLT set looks like...

@sharkhark
    A (5/8)extension on your regular flex will soften the shaft more. This can add timing issues, and as you have found out with your fade has changed the face angle to slightly open as it comes into the ball.
    Last edited by bl8d; Nov 4, 2016, 03:47 PM.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

After chatting with Dan today, and thinking more on it, I am going to keep the 4i in my set. I'll have Dan reduce the new sets 4i length by 0.2" and build the set down from there. I'd rather err on having yardage gaps a bit closer together ( 8 yards ) vs too far apart ( 12-13 yards ).

I also hit a lot of balls today at my instructor's practice bay, utilizing his Mizuno fitting cart again. Fitted up MP-5, MP-25, MP-15 and my new fav the JPX-900 Forged. For me, I thought the MP-25 and JPX-900F were quite close in performance, but I slightly preferred the JPX-900F. AND they offer a matching Gap wedge in that set. I hope to have another date with the MP-5 / 25 / JPX900 next week. Can't marry one of them just after one date !

I hit each head with a few shafts -> X100, C-Taper-X, C-Taper Lite X, C-Taper S, but mostly hit a lot of shots with the PX LZ 6.0 90 gram graphite. I was easily a club longer with the graphite in either the MP-25 or JPX-900F.

~ Andy
      🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
      Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
      Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
      Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
      Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
      Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
      Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
        Yeah I am not comfortable doing myself. Moreso trying to figure out what to do with my existing set for now?
        It might have been an off day or a lack of confidence produced by introducing something new. Try them again at full length and old length(choke down as if they were never extended)

Comment

Arl. Did you try the jpx 900tours. Those look so nice. I want a set so bad.

Comment

Yes I did try the Tour 6i head. It was shorter than the Forged. I will revisit it next week. The cart did not have the Hot Metal head either.
            🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Yah the tour has different lofts. It's expected to be shorter.

Comment

Correct -> JPX-900 Forged are 3* lower lofted in the long & mid irons than the Tours, with same shaft length.

For me, almost-all-things-being-equal, it is shaft length that determines the ease of swing consistency.
                Jacked lofts are only of a concern if the trajectory gets too low or too high.
                Last edited by ARL67; Nov 4, 2016, 07:37 PM.
                🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Yah that's an entire club shorter. Keep that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                    @sharkhark
                    A (5/8)extension on your regular flex will soften the shaft more. This can add timing issues, and as you have found out with your fade has changed the face angle to slightly open as it comes into the ball.
                    I wouldn't mind my draw becoming straighter as long as I can control & predict my shot I just don't want a weak almost slice. I visited gt today & they suggested to go thru with an 2 degree upright lie adjustment & so I went ahead with it and will see 2moro. Hope it improves things.

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                    It might have been an off day or a lack of confidence produced by introducing something new. Try them again at full length and old length(choke down as if they were never extended)
                    I'll do as you suggest. Even though I've today had a lie adjustment I'll try at least choking down to try new vs old length as far as flex as other poster mentioned the new softer flex.

Hopefully the 2 degree upright adjustment they did doesn't swing things too much the other way. I'll see 2moro. I suggested if he thought to just do a minor 1 degree up but he said he thought 2 was best. We will see.
                    PING CAMO BAG...
                    WEAPONS...
                    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                    3W TM M2
                    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

• Re: What my TLT set looks like...

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                      Yah that's an entire club shorter. Keep that in mind
                      Yes, but I view a club merely as a "device".
                      Main factor ( for me ) in swing consistency is club length ( at my "ideal" lie angle, this is a TLT thread after all ).
                      The number on the bottom of a club or its measured loft is only a number.
                      The important thing is how far I hit a given length of club at a "suitable" trajectory.

Why is a jacked loft at the same length of club worth worrying about if the ball flight trajectory is still OK, and may ultimately fly farther ?
                      Hotter iron faces that may also launch higher, WILL require a lower loft to maintain a proper trajectory. This is not a bad thing, and the same length of club could/will produce a longer shot.
                      Last edited by ARL67; Nov 4, 2016, 09:33 PM.
                      🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

sharkhark, can you tell me your wrist to floor as hand to floor means nothing to me.

I expect you will find the short irons will become an improvement over standard length with the 2/3'rd of an inch extension. I would have played a few rounds before jumping into the 2 degree up.

The hits toward the heel tell me that you are now standing slightly too close after you got the extensions. Step back an inch or so. The club is longer now so standing in the same position is not correct.

Without doing a TLT fitting (available on line through my site with continued great success) we are still only guessing. At 6' 1" I expect you certainly need longer short irons - but you may not need longer long irons. Lie angles will dictate the correct lengths.
                        Regards
                        Dan

True Length Technology TM
                        Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                        True Frequency Technology TM
                        - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                        - Master
                        Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                        - Advanced / Professional
                        Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                        - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                          @sharkhark
                          Certainly can be. I find when I do extensions - the new length and slightly softer flex will take a few rounds to dial in the release. I tell my players not to panic here - time and probably 5 rounds will be required to dial in the feel for proper release.
                          Regards
                          Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                          - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                            sharkhark, can you tell me your wrist to floor as hand to floor means nothing to me.

I expect you will find the short irons will become an improvement over standard length with the 2/3'rd of an inch extension. I would have played a few rounds before jumping into the 2 degree up.

The hits toward the heel tell me that you are now standing slightly too close after you got the extensions. Step back an inch or so. The club is longer now so standing in the same position is not correct.

Without doing a TLT fitting (available on line through my site with continued great success) we are still only guessing. At 6' 1" I expect you certainly need longer short irons - but you may not need longer long irons. Lie angles will dictate the correct lengths.
                            I have no idea why I typed hand to floor Dan. Brain fart.
                            it was wrist to floor I meant to write, my wtf was a hair longer than 36.

It's funny you mention that I may need to stand a bit farther away due to new length as I told the guy initially I did feel a bit bent over too much especially in the short irons with my current std setup.
                            But....
                            I wanted to be a bit more upright & also a bit more over the ball as I feel more comfortable a bit closer to the ball to swing less flat & more upright.

I told him specifically that I couldn't bring the irons in towards me as I would prefer & it Sounds like extending he suggested does make it worse extending as I wanted better posture (more upright less slumping) and club closer especially the short irons.

if it ends up in farther away when I want to be a bit closer if anything. Maybe I should've had lie angle alone adjusted but then I was going by telling the gt guy what I felt I wanted & leaving it to him to adjust in just a layman in knowledge.

Thx for any info .
                            Last edited by sharkhark; Nov 5, 2016, 06:20 AM.
                            PING CAMO BAG...
                            WEAPONS...
                            SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                            3W TM M2
                            HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                            LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                              I have no idea why I typed hand to floor Dan. Brain fart.
                              it was wrist to floor I meant to write, my wtf was a hair longer than 36.

It's funny you mention that I may need to stand a bit farther away due to new length as I told the guy initially I did feel a bit bent over too much especially in the short irons with my current std setup.
                              But....
                              I wanted to be a bit more upright & also a bit more over the ball as I feel more comfortable a bit closer to the ball to swing less flat & more upright.

I told him specifically that I couldn't bring the irons in towards me as I would prefer & it Sounds like extending he suggested does make it worse extending as I wanted better posture (more upright less slumping) and club closer especially the short irons.

if it ends up in farther away when I want to be a bit closer if anything. Maybe I should've had lie angle alone adjusted but then I was going by telling the gt guy what I felt I wanted & leaving it to him to adjust in just a layman in knowledge.

Thx for any info .
                              You have made several changes so I do suggest that you play a few rounds or at least hit quite a few on the range before making any more quick decisions. It takes time to get the body to accept the changes as your posture and swing plane are now different than where you were even a week ago.

After a few rounds the swing and contact will improve and ball flight will tell you if you went too far on the lie (hooks) and the length - you have to go by - am I remaining athletic? for every club - with a consistent grip position.
                              Regards
                              Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                              - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                                You have made several changes so I do suggest that you play a few rounds or at least hit quite a few on the range before making any more quick decisions. It takes time to get the body to accept the changes as your posture and swing plane are now different than where you were even a week ago.

After a few rounds the swing and contact will improve and ball flight will tell you if you went too far on the lie (hooks) and the length - you have to go by - am I remaining athletic? for every club - with a consistent grip position.
                                ok will do, thx for your feedback. played today in icy cold and shot an even 80 and the ballflight was much straighter with no hooks. Tiny baby draw. Got more comfortable throughout the round. The lie change definitely helped allot. Will see how things progress.
                                PING CAMO BAG...
                                WEAPONS...
                                SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                                3W TM M2
                                HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                                LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Collapse