X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driver Fitting Cost

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
    be honest with yourself.
    , the gain from a exotic shaft fitting isn't worth 2 bills.
    Also, just because a shaft costs more doesn't necessarily mean its a good or better shaft. There have been some shafts in the past that cost $20 odd dollars to produce tagged with sticker prices 10+ times that.

several of the best shafts I have ever used never cost more than $50 USD
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      Also, just because a shaft costs more doesn't necessarily mean its a good or better shaft. There have been some shafts in the past that cost $20 odd dollars to produce tagged with sticker prices 10+ times that.

several of the best shafts I have ever used never cost more than $50 USD
      $$$ =/= better shaft for a given person. I am of firm belief that spending more doesn't make you better. Find what is best for yuo and get that, cheap or expensive. That's why I want to do this, i have no idea whats best for me.

Does the direction the shaft is put in matter? As in is there a front and back? That always worried me when adjusting the loft on my head.
      Callaway Blayne Standbag:
      TaylorMade M1 9.5*
      TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 3w 15*
      TaylorMade R15 5w 19*
      TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 TP 3 Hybrid
      Taykormade Speesburner 5 Hybrid
      5-AW TaylorMade RocketBladez
      Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 54* and 58*
      Scott Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim
      Srixion Z-Star XV

Comment

Originally posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
        $$$ =/= better shaft for a given person. I am of firm belief that spending more doesn't make you better. Find what is best for yuo and get that, cheap or expensive. That's why I want to do this, i have no idea whats best for me.

Does the direction the shaft is put in matter? As in is there a front and back? That always worried me when adjusting the loft on my head.
        Part of the PURE process is shaft alignment. If you go get fit by a guy like Ian, you will learn a ton about your equipment. If you're into that, then the $100 is really a drop in the bucket.

Comment

I am of firm belief that spending more doesn't make you better. Find what is best for yuo and get that, cheap or expensive.

Agree, there might be a shaft with a profile that suits you costing $50 versus a similarly specked and profiled shaft costing $250. This is what I was getting at and has been my experience when I did lots of shaft testing in the past

There used to be a great resource called shaft profiles that one could go to to compare the different shaft zone profiles in different flexes , sadly the fellow that maintained it moved on.

this can be debated till the cows come home. My experience ( and that of others I know is that quite often shafts shafts can have a different stiffness profile depending on their orientation. There have been studies on shaft alignment and performance. Some have found that alignment can have an impact.
          my thoughts

Comment

yes some definite value to be had from an optimum alignment. Though I FLO my graphite shafted woods, I don't bother with the steel shafted clubs.
            Tim Hewitt(My Ostrich) was the gentleman that offered the extensive shaft profiles.

For your own edification visit Tutlemans site and read up on spine alignment.

with the adjustable hosels, the shaft's FLO should be set up and coincide with the Neutral setting. That way closing or opening the face via the hosel will minimize the deviation.
            Last edited by bl8d; Jan 10, 2017, 07:40 PM.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
              yes some definite value to be had from an optimum alignment. Though I FLO my graphite shafted woods, I don't bother with the steel shafted clubs.
              Tim Hewitt(My Ostrich) was the gentleman that offered the extensive shaft profiles.

For your own edification visit Tutlemans site and read up on spine alignment.

with the adjustable hosels, the shaft's FLO should be set up and coincide with the Neutral setting. That way closing or opening the face via the hosel will minimize the deviation.
              I too FlO all graphite shafts.
              I've used a bearing spine finder for over 10 years with steel shafts , aligning NBP to target nd measuring frequency in that orientation .

Yes Tim was the fellow who maintained shaft profiles.com, with input from other clubbuilders who preformed shaft zone profiling, was a great resource . Tim is also one of the few who did actual double blind testing of dispertion and shaft alignment.

Comment

If you believe what Titleist states, Pure doesn't improve performance.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Laicha; Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laicha View Post
                  Oh Boy, this will be interesting...

Comment

I'm pretty sure there's a few independent research groups that have proven FLO Spine and Pure all do nothing really to effect performance.

I know I've read it.

I'm still unsure the difference between them all

I do know that a lot of Tour players don't even know what it is or use it.

Tour vans do not have any of these processes.

A coworker of mine personally knowns brooke and brittney Henderson. They don't use FLO pure spine etc. They didn't even know what it was.
                    Last edited by Jasonp; Jan 11, 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laicha View Post
                      It does if you're dealing with a crappy shaft. If the frequency one way is 250 cpm and 260 the other way for example you are dealing with one full flex difference. And the only way to find out is to have it measured in a frequency meter. A bad shaft will wobble significantly when twanged.
                      Titleist is into golf clubheads not shafts

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                        I'm pretty sure there's a few independent research groups that have proven FLO Spine and Pure all do nothing really to effect performance.

I know I've read it.

A coworker of mine personally knowns brooke and brittney Henderson. They don't use FLO pure spine etc. They didn't even know what it was.
                        A couple years ago I caught a conversation on TV with Nick Price and Greg Norman.
                        They both did not know the difference between a .370 and .355 shaft
                        The Hendersons are great players but don't know much about technology

SST is on tour
                        Take a look inside the 2011 World Golf Championships - Cadillac Championship as we tour the facilities and structures at Doral. We'll get up close with spon...

Comment

I know I've read it.

Do you honestly believe that Tour players are provided with the same quality shafts that are shipped out to the masses? Or do you think that the manufacturers carefully screen the shafts they give Tour players to test out and play with to ensure they get the best possible performance from them so that their product will be seen on tour?

This test, while not 100% scientific, would lean towards it appearing to make some difference:
                          PUREing shafts is a process largely unknown to golfers at large, but it might hold the key to longer, straighter shots. Find out what our testing revealed in this edition of Golf Myths Unplugged.
                          Last edited by Gridiron; Jan 11, 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

again I say...tour vans and tour pros do not use this process. They are in the business of winning matches.

Again the process and demo is cool...but we are human not machines we do not swing a shaft in perfect plane with the face every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                              It does if you're dealing with a crappy shaft. If the frequency one way is 250 cpm and 260 the other way for example you are dealing with one full flex difference. And the only way to find out is to have it measured in a frequency meter. A bad shaft will wobble significantly when twanged.
                              Titleist is into golf clubheads not shafts

If you've got a shaft that bad, it belongs in the trash not your club. I don't know if I agree on your point with Titleist though.

Sure, they're not a shaft maker. But isn't it in their best interests to understand shaft dynamics in the production of golf clubs? They're saying that after investing money into R&D, they haven't been able to find any real performance advantages from shaft alignment. It's an add-on service that would immediately add to profits, they could offer it, but they don't.

Comment

again I say...tour vans and tour pros do not use this process. They are in the business of winning matches.

Again the process and demo is cool...but we are human not machines we do not swing a shaft in perfect plane with the face every single time.
                                I mostly agree, not saying it works or it doesn't. But I have seen customers that have done well with spine-aligned shafts, and some that hated it. Actually hitting the club better before it was done. Even a guy that likes one club that is spined, and hates another one. So bottom line, people aren't robots and there's too many variables in most golfer's games to definitively say that it works or not.

If you feel like it really helps and you want to pay for the service, than by all means go for it. I'm sure there are some Tour Pros that play SST Pure'd equipment, but how many of them actually paid for it? I'd guess not that many.
                                WITB:
                                - Titleist TS3 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x)
                                - A-Grind 3 Wood (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x)
                                - A-Grind Utility Proto 18 degrees (ACCRA TZ6)
                                - Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i
                                - Mizuno JPX-919 Tour 4-PW
                                - Mizuno T-20 56 & 60
                                - David Whitlam SPI3 Limited Edition

Backups:
                                - PING S59 3-PW (Rifle Project X 5.5)
                                - Nike Forged Blades 3-PW
                                - Geotech P.Blade 3-PW
                                - Scotty Cameron Newport II Pro Platinum
                                - Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura
                                - David Whitlam Little Dog

Comment