Collapse

Iron Shafts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Shafts

I was recently fitted at Taylormade (as a result of the recent CL promo) and am interested to learn more about shaft alternatives. I was fit to the Nippon Modus Tour 130 X flex. Any feedback on these shafts? What would a competiting alternative with similar characteristics be?

Thanks

Re: Iron Shafts

what is your objection to that shaft?
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

No specific objection. Just looking for other options or recommendations as I'm not very familiar with the characteristics of that shaft.

How does it compare with Project X? Etc.

Thanks

Comment

The 130X is probably the only heavyweight shaft that I am aware of that is still touted as high launch. There is no other shaft that really matches these characteristics. It is also probably the stiffest shaft out there. I have been told that an X flex in the heavyweight modus products are close to a 9.7 or something on the Rifle Scale. They play very stiff to flex, apparently. However, if you were fit at TMAG using the MAT software, I am sure that shaft is the one for you. Nippons are extremely popular on tour now and many manufacturers are offering them free of charge because of said demand.

Comment

9.7... no way... the c taper 130x is only 7.5 along with project x7.0.

Comment

Here are the shaft profiles for the Modus 3 130 X, PX 6.5 and PX 7.0

Modus 238 286 352 455 619 981 Butt 331 129grams

6.5 228 275 338 430 609 992 Butt 319 125 grams

7.0 233 278 344 440 621 996 Butt 325 130 grams

Stiffer butt and middle than a 7.0 , slightly softer tip which would probably play as a slighty stiffer shaft with a slightly higher launch than the 7.0
            Last edited by Duper; Mar 21, 2017, 07:43 PM. Reason: Update specs

Comment

You can find comparable shafts at golfworks.com, they classify almost every shaft available. So the Nippon you are looking at in X is a 5B2H with a weight of 130g. They have a chart where you can see what other shafts fall into that same classification. I'm guessing the KBS C Taper will match up and also Project X 6.5, but there should be a bunch of others. Even if shafts match up by the numbers each brand will have a distinctly different feel.

Titleist also has a shaft comparison tool on their website where you can compare the butt and tip frequency of most of the more popular steel shafts.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X