Collapse

Fitting for new clubs

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting for new clubs

I currently play stiff Burner 2.0's. I have swapped out the TM Hybrids to Cobra's because I couldn't stop hooking the TM's. The 5 and 6 iron have the same problems, either a 10-15 yard hook or pull straight to the right (I'm a lefty)

A few extra details: 15 hcp, Driver swing speed 97-103 mph, carry 7 iron close to 150...

I'm planning on a Golf town fitting soon and am looking for good options of clubs to try. I'm leaning Ping G or maybe Callaway Steelheads, but don't know where to start.

Re: Fitting for new clubs

You mentioned a fitting, what will happen is you'll hit a handful of shots with your current irons, then the computer will recommend the best suitable head and shaft combos. I wouldn't be too concern with the manufacture, they're all decent these days... Go off the numbers and feel
    In the bag:
    -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
    -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
    -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
    -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
    -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbolt View Post
      I currently play stiff Burner 2.0's. I have swapped out the TM Hybrids to Cobra's because I couldn't stop hooking the TM's. The 5 and 6 iron have the same problems, either a 10-15 yard hook or pull straight to the right (I'm a lefty)

A few extra details: 15 hcp, Driver swing speed 97-103 mph, carry 7 iron close to 150...

I'm planning on a Golf town fitting soon and am looking for good options of clubs to try. I'm leaning Ping G or maybe Callaway Steelheads, but don't know where to start.
      a fitting may not help the hook,good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
        a fitting may not help the hook,good luck.
        You're right, but it isn't there with driver, fairway, hybrid or higher lofted irons...only the 5 and 6 irons. I'm in the market for new clubs now and will throw some lessons in this spring as well...The way my original "fitting" was carried out leaves lots to be desired...

Comment

To me, this seems to be more of a length / lie concern. If you are hooking then it's more likely that the length may be too long as well as the lie - too upright.

A proper fitting will bring all this out. The S may be a bit too stiff, but the actual shaft would have to be tested to see if it is truly playing to an S.

I'm out in Hampton, so not to far from you, and would love to help. Please check out my website for a better understanding.

Appointments are required.
          Regards
          Dan

True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'

Comment

Thanks Dan, Never thought about length and lie too much because they were bought off the shelf after trying a few brands and these had the best dispersion in the sim, but that didn't translate well to outdoors! Now that my swing is definitely more consistent I'm looking for "real" fit clubs

Comment

Thanks Dan, Never thought about length and lie too much because they were bought off the shelf after trying a few brands and these had the best dispersion in the sim, but that didn't translate well to outdoors! Now that my swing is definitely more consistent I'm looking for "real" fit clubs
              if the toe-up condition is the actual reason for the hooks you can do a rough lie check comparison by chocking down 1-2 inches. This will bring the toe down close to ideally where it should be at impact(parallel)
              Try it choked , and see if you still hook with that club.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Thanks..I should have thought of that! It is definitely cheaper than new clubs, so it won't hurt to test!

Comment

Looking for opinions...which would be a better choice Whiby or Kingston for a fitting? Similar distance to each of them...

Comment

Not familiar with the two GT locations you're looking at but do recommend you give Dan, who replied above, a consideration as well. He's retrofitted 2 sets of clubs for me and no questions about his quality of work and knowledge. Especially since you seem to be in his area.

Comment

Question?
                      When I get to fitting a new set of irons I have found great success in almost complete reduction of forearm pain I used to have by going to graphite shafts in irons a year ago.
                      I tried a couple outings with steel mid season and literally found discomfort appeared next day.
                      So I'm determined to only go graphite (and yes I've tried inserts etc prosoft etc no help).

That said... Is there as many fitting options in graphite for irons as there is for steel?

I notice that if an iron includes no charge upgrades or choices the steel options for some irons is quite extensive whereas graphite could be literally 3 or 4 vs more than a dozen steel.
                      Is that because there is less variances available in graphite or not?

Thx
                      PING CAMO BAG...
                      WEAPONS...
                      SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                      3W TM M2
                      HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                      5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                      LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                      3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

You are not alone. IMO indoor fittings and testing very often does not translate to performance under a real conditions/setting.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Some of the manufacturers are getting to be very good at providing custom clubs at off the shelf pricing.

For example I just purchased some Cobra SL irons and they had the following upgrades:

recoil graphite shafts
                          shortened shaft length
                          my specific loft for each club
                          winn grips

For everything they only charged me an extra $15 for each recoil shaft.

(The recoil is a very nice iron graphite shaft.)
                          Last edited by ctv1; Apr 3, 2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

A visit to my shop could work very well for you.

1 - distance
                            2 - see if your existing clubs are for actual lie and loft and therefor determine if a retrofit would apply to your clubs
                            3 - TLT is all about directional control and will help your game
                            4 - I have a great selection of club heads if a new build seems to be the ultimate solution.

Appointments are required.
                            Regards
                            Dan

True Length Technology TM
                            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                            True Frequency Technology TM
                            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                            - Master
                            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                            - Advanced / Professional
                            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                            - Class 'A'

Comment

I completed an "Ultimate Iron Fitting" in Kingston on the weekend and I was learned a lot! I now have numbers to go with my 7 iron swing! Biggest issue was low spin numbers and graphite shafts brought that up!
                              I went in thinking I would buy Ping irons and they were actually the worst set I tried...went with Cobra King F7's...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X