/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Who's the best (OCD) club builder (not necessarily a fitter)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the best (OCD) club builder (not necessarily a fitter)

General question:

Who's the best (OCD) club builder (not necessarily a fitter)?

Who is the guy who makes sure a
    D2 swing weight is not D2.4.
    Length is 35 1/4 is not 35 1/8.
    Grips straight and not stretched.

You know, who's the guy with the tightest quality standards? (For items that you're concerned about)

Who's the best OCD builder out there?

Just curious.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Element; Jun 17, 2017, 11:02 PM.

Re: Who's the best (OCD) club builder (not necessarily a fitter)

Ryan Barath, before he got out of the business used to put out some real quality...
    Last edited by Element; Jun 18, 2017, 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error, thanks Phatchrisrules

Comment

*Barath.

Good friend of mine. Hasn't touched anyone's clubs but his since September/October of 2016. He's in a good place now.

Comment

Call Dan @ Dans Custom Golf Shop. Ive said this before. Im a technician in another field and can appreciate Dans attention to detail and build quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Technician7179 View Post
          Call Dan @ Dans Custom Golf Shop. Ive said this before. Im a technician in another field and can appreciate Dans attention to detail and build quality.
          ..Dan's attention to detail and quality is second to none.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Depends where you are. Around these parts (Ottawa), Don Irving is the man.
            When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

You may have a hard time finding someone who may be as critical as you need them to be.good luck

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                You may have a hard time finding someone who may be as critical as you need them to be.good luck
                What he is asking for is a piece of cake.
                In essence, Element is asking for “'∆ Variance'” in a matched set, across multiple final inspection criteria which are performance based.
                In other words, minimize inherent '% Error' as a function of the build.
                Last edited by TourIQ; Jun 22, 2017, 12:12 AM.
                Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Technician7179 View Post
                  OCD is a negative term. I would call Dan a perfectionist. All the work he's down for me has be flawless and shows an attention to detail I think would be tough to match.

Regards,
                  dan
                  What's in the bag......

Big Bertha V w Attas Rockstar
                  TEE Fairway Wood
                  Razr 4 and 5 Hybrid
                  TLT'd Srixon Z745's 6-PW MODUS3 TOUR 105
                  Scor 4161 Wedges

Odyssey Works Versa

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

*Barath.

Good friend of mine. Hasn't touched anyone's clubs but his since September/October of 2016. He's in a good place now.
                    How ironic?! Here's an interesting article Ryan just authored.

It seems like a dream job, doesn’t it? Golf equipment tech reps spend hours on the driving ranges of some of the most prestigious courses. They have access to all the new gear from a golf equipment company and get to talk golf with like-minded individuals. Let me tell you, it’s a ton of fun, but […]

Comment

Originally posted by Element View Post
                      Who's the best (OCD) club builder (not necessarily a fitter)?

You know, who's the guy with the tightest quality standards? (For items that you're concerned about)

Who's the best OCD builder out there?
                      Element why would you ask, what do you hope to achieve? The reason I ask, is its very rare for this question to be even asked.

When I place an order for brand new Name Brand irons or wedges, I give the OEM a written Purchase Order with head weight as a condition of purchase. They have to hand pick or adjust to hit our spec.
                      We have been told by more than one of the Big Boys, that we gave them the most detailed PO they had ever seen. We pay real good money for top tier equipment, so I minimize my risk before I rip it apart.

Element let’s consider a 10 pc matched set of irons and wedges with identical shafts and grips.
                      For the OCD Build, what should be the +/- Tolerance on the following Quality characteristics?

Components (Hand Picked or Adjusted)
                      • Head Wt. Target +/- _____ grams
                      • Shaft Wt. Target +/- _____ grams
                      • Shaft Freq. Target +/- _____ cpm
                      • Grip Wt. Target +/- _____ grams
                      • Loft Target +/- _____ degrees
                      • Lie Target +/- _____ degrees
                      Assembled (No Grip)
                      • Swingweight Target +/- _____ points
                      • Frequency Target +/- _____ cpm
                      Final Inspection Report (Grip On)
                      • Club Length Target +/- _____ inches
                      • Club Weight Target +/- _____ grams
                      • MOI Target +/- _____ g/cm2; or
                      • Swingweight Target +/- _____ points
                      Element the golf industry always chimes in with, ‘trust us, we have the highest quality in the industry’.
                      Their rhetoric is rarely if ever backed up with any data, as to their expectations on build tolerances.

What tolerances would constitute Best-In-Class (BIC), and what is important to the golfer?

Comment

Harry, is your tolerance threshold the same, regardless if the build was for a 30cap as a 2+?

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                          Harry, is your tolerance threshold the same, regardless if the build was for a 30cap as a 2+?
                          Total Commitment = no short-cuts, regardless of handicap level.

Everything is recorded on 1 build sheet in Microsoft Word, 23 columns represent Receiving + In-Process + Final data vs. 16 Rows (Driver to Putter), and nearly 400 unique data points per set.
                          We do not have a different build sheet for various handicaps. With a background in Quality Management and Six Sigma, I call it '12 Sigma Quality', since the build is off-the-chart quality wise.

When a former sponsor wanted me to build him a set with provided taper tip shafts, I said get parallels. It was a show stopper, and he was connected to Tiger. I've never compromised my standards, and he lost out on getting something truly special.

In all honesty:
                          1. higher handicap golfers have the most to gain, since his/her clubs are probably ill-fitted with the wrong components, wrong set make-up, and the most inherent % Error by virtue of the previous build
                          2. I enjoy the challenge of working with + handicap (tour calibre) player, and comparing what they currently game by virtue of the Name Brand tour department, and how messed-up their equipment is

There are several good builders on this site and they are sponsors. The last thing any golfer needs is a set mass produced from across the pond. They normally don't yield consistent yardage gaps, trajectory, dispersion , or feel.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                            Total Commitment = no short-cuts, regardless of handicap level.

Everything is recorded on 1 build sheet in Microsoft Word, 23 columns represent Receiving + In-Process + Final data vs. 16 Rows (Driver to Putter), and nearly 400 unique data points per set.
                            We do not have a different build sheet for various handicaps. With a background in Quality Management and Six Sigma, I call it '12 Sigma Quality', since the build is off-the-chart quality wise.

When a former sponsor wanted me to build him a set with provided taper tip shafts, I said get parallels. It was a show stopper, and he was connected to Tiger. I've never compromised my standards, and he lost out on getting something truly special.

In all honesty:
                            1. higher handicap golfers have the most to gain, since his/her clubs are probably ill-fitted with the wrong components, wrong set make-up, and the most inherent % Error by virtue of the previous build
                            2. I enjoy the challenge of working with + handicap (tour calibre) player, and comparing what they currently game by virtue of the Name Brand tour department, and how messed-up their equipment is

There are several good builders on this site and they are sponsors. The last thing any golfer needs is a set mass produced from across the pond. They normally don't yield consistent yardage gaps, trajectory, dispersion , or feel.
                            Hey OP - I think you just found your answer
                            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                            Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

MIA, has the OP lost interest in his own thread?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X