Collapse

G 25 red - dot

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G 25 red - dot

Hello everyone: Burlington here. This is a great site. I have a question if it is all right to ask. Thank you. I play Ping G 25s 5 - 9- SW, U wedge. I'm at the blue dot presently & recently was adjusted by Ping from yellow after I had a knee operation. Anyways I was playing with a friend of mine and he had just bought a new set of Gs. I asked if I could try his 4 iron. Well holly cow. What a difference. This club was so fluid, smooth. He had it at the red dot - flat. I hardly hit at all. I'm not sayin I don't like my clubs just wondering. Now my Q. Anybody ever put red dot in G 25s & yes I understand the tec side. Thanks for reading. Sorry for the length.

Originally posted by rustyknee View Post
    Hello everyone: Burlington here. This is a great site. I have a question if it is all right to ask. Thank you. I play Ping G 25s 5 - 9- SW, U wedge. I'm at the blue dot presently & recently was adjusted by Ping from yellow after I had a knee operation. Anyways I was playing with a friend of mine and he had just bought a new set of Gs. I asked if I could try his 4 iron. Well holly cow. What a difference. This club was so fluid, smooth. He had it at the red dot - flat. I hardly hit at all. I'm not sayin I don't like my clubs just wondering. Now my Q. Anybody ever put red dot in G 25s & yes I understand the tec side. Thanks for reading. Sorry for the length.
    How many times did you hit it? Was it just one flushed shot that left you with your jaw on the ground? If so, I wouldn't read too much into it other than you put a good swing on it and it would have been a good shot no matter what. Think about all of the different variables that are in this that could have lead to this shot besides the 1.5* flatter lie code. You have a) a bigger head than what you are currently using, b) a newer head with more tech than what you are using, and c) probably a different shaft (even if they were both steel/graphite regular, for example, they are not the exact same).

Sure it might be worthwhile to explore going to red dot, but at the end of the day, the difference is 1.5* of lie angle. Every degree of lie angle is roughly 6 feet of ball flight correction, so you're looking at shots that MAYBE are offline by 9 feet. Sure that is a lot, but you have to ask yourself this question: are your shots truly only 9 feet offline from the pin a good majority of the time? If so, you definitely should get that changed, if not, I think you just got lucky and flushed one.

Comment

I used to play a flatter club , red,orange dot,I have tried many clubs, a few swings is just a teaser.

Comment

Thank you for your replies

Comment

Keep in mind that the length of the G irons increases at slightly more than the standard 1/2" when you get into the 4,5,6 irons. The standard progression was 1/2" through the entire set for the G25 and the G25 was 1/4" shorter as well (I'm talking standard length as per the Ping published spec). So the standard length of the G 4-iron is 38.875" compared with 38.25" for the G25 4-iron. Ping decreases the lie angle by .75* for each additional 1/2" of club length, which also happens to be how much the lie angle changes when you go from one colour code to the next (e.g. yellow to blue, blue to black, etc). With the G25 being shorter in the longer irons, it might be too flat if you went all the way to red, black in the G25 might give you the equivalent of your friend's G, at least for the 4 and 5 irons.

I mean, this all sounds interesting in theory, but why don't you get some impact tape and hit each iron off a lie board to see where you should be as a starting point. Then when you start playing you can tweak it based on the shape of your shots. You might end up with different colour codes throughout the set. I have G25s (black), but have my U and W slightly flatter at red and could probably go a bit more upright to blue for my 5 iron.

And don't fall in love with the newer G, the G25 is a great iron. Besides, we are very close to the release of the next generation G.

Comment

Thank you TommyJ for the impute. Excellent idea. ( lie board )

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X