Collapse

Callaway Performance Lab Fitting Review

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callaway Performance Lab Fitting Review

Just had a fitting done at the Cally lab in Concord and thought I'd share me experiences.
    Easy to book online, although the $60 bucks didnt come with any free loot like i thought it would. I had heard there may be a sleave of balls and a hat, but I got jack. It does go to charity though apparently so thats a plus.

The room is amazing with literally every club and shaft for both left and righty. Plenty of room and at least 5 large flat screens with data on them. Makes for a very good first impression. Felt like I was walking into a PGA lab or something. Then again I am easily amused.

The fitter was very cordial, and asked the requisite questions about performance, common misses, top line prefernce and ball flights. Also asked what I was trying to achieve being there, and then mentioned that there was no pressure selling, and all references he made were Callay only because thats his most knowledgeable platforms. He translated to Mizuno and Titleist when required, as this is what was in my bag at the time.

Starting with the irons we setup and hit into a huge picture of Pebble Beach 18th hole, and wiht the size of the room it was really easy to get comfortble. I often at fittings get sidetracked by odd angles in the room, or hitting to a corner. For some reason my mind plays tricks and I cannot line up corretly when there is perpendicular lines around me, and this screws things up. But the cally room was very good in this reguard.
    Warmed up and hit about 20 balls to get comfortable and then machine went into action, with lots of flashing and such. The data of the monitors was both visual club head and ball trajectory data, and the requisit angle, loft, speed, ball speed data. As much as it kills me, it seemed very spot on from my course knowledge. He really identified quickly my low flight, and much to my surprise the machine spat out my -8 degree angle of attack. He asked how i felt on the course with the flights I had into greens and if i desired more trajectory or liked what i had.
    We tried plenty of new clubs, including the x24 hot ( which were not quite the shovels i expected). Plenty of clubs later i got pretty much the diagnosis i expected but it definately seemed more empirical than a few fittings Ive been to.
    Same for the driver, with quite a few options to run through and iMix made it easier to work with different shafts. Ended up with a surprising Bassara 53 with stiff which sounds quite exotic.
    At the end is the lie test, and then there printouts of the swing state into a nice little booklet. Also the swing is places online to checkout, but it seemed more than a little gimmicky that useful, others without a camera may like this bit.

Overall, if you dont know a good local clubfitter, or just want a no hassle checkup on your figures, with very solid looking flight and track equipment it seems a good place to spot 60 bucks for charity.

Re: Callaway Performance Lab Fitting Review

I've been twice and had a good experience both times. Odd you didn't get anything... Both times I got a hat and some balls. In fact, the 2nd time I went the guy realized I was very picky about my ball and gave me a sleeve of Iz's instead of 2 diablos which suited me just fine.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, you can buy a fitting for Callaway there for like $30 and the same amount of money goes to charity, just less out of your wallet.

WhiZ
    Current Bag (Clicgear B32 black bag on ClicGear 3.5)
    Driver: Epic Sub-Zero 10.5 w/ Rogue 85g X-stiff
    3W: XHot 15 with Diamana White 83 X-stiff
    5W: XHot 19 with Diamana Blue 83 X-Stiff OR
    Titleist 18 degree 712U C-Taper X +1/2"
    4i: Srixon Z545 TT Pro X100 2up +1/2"
    5i-PW: Srixon Z745 TT Pro X100 2up +1/2"
    Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy2 50, 54, 58
    Putter: TM 34" Spider Jason Day Pro model
    Grips: NDMC plus4 midsize +2 under left, +4 under right

Comment

Is there a Callaway club fitting location in Vancouver?

Originally posted by WhiZ View Post
      I've been twice and had a good experience both times. Odd you didn't get anything... Both times I got a hat and some balls. In fact, the 2nd time I went the guy realized I was very picky about my ball and gave me a sleeve of Iz's instead of 2 diablos which suited me just fine.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, you can buy a fitting for Callaway there for like $30 and the same amount of money goes to charity, just less out of your wallet.

WhiZ
      In the Sun Mountain Four5 Bag:
      Driver - Callaway Razr Fit (9.5*)
      Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 3/15*
      Hybrid(s) - Adams A12 OS 2/17* and 3/19*
      Irons - Callaway Razr X (4 to AW)
      Putter - Odyssey White Ice Rossie Putter
      Summer Balls - Bridgestone E6
      Winter Balls - Wilson Fifty Elite

Comment

Originally posted by WhiZ View Post

WhiZ
        Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that next time I'm at Costco.
        Callaway Hyper X Driver
        Ben Hogan Edge CFT Irons
        Ben Hogan Colonial Wedges
        Callaway Diablo Hybrid
        Ben Hogan Big Ben C455 Fairway Woods
        Odyssey White Hot XG SRT 2-Ball Putter

Comment

Is there something similar out there for any of the other brands?

TM, Nike, Adams? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by drodilllas View Post
            Is there a Callaway club fitting location in Vancouver?
            There's one in Richmond just off the Knight St bridge near the Bridgeport exit.

Originally posted by DukeN View Post

TM, Nike, Adams? Thx
            Ping has a fitting Centre in the GTA (nothing in Vancouver). Not sure about other companies.

WhiZ

Comment

TM, Nike, Adams? Thx
              TM has their MATT fitting centres which have a much higher level of technology/analysis:

the one in toronto is around the corner from callaway, but typically has a 2-3mos waiting list.

Comment

Also way more expensive....May I ask why you suggest they are more technologically advanced? Not doubting you, just trying to make a decision for myself.

Originally posted by exile View Post
                TM has their MATT fitting centres which have a much higher level of technology/analysis:

the one in toronto is around the corner from callaway, but typically has a 2-3mos waiting list.

Comment

Just got back from my fitting review.
                  Great experience overall, recieved alot of information and tips from the golf pro Tommy.

Also got a Callaway Hat and a sleeve of Big Bertha Diablo balls. Anyone try them out?

Well worth the price and time.
                  In the Sun Mountain Four5 Bag:
                  Driver - Callaway Razr Fit (9.5*)
                  Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 3/15*
                  Hybrid(s) - Adams A12 OS 2/17* and 3/19*
                  Irons - Callaway Razr X (4 to AW)
                  Putter - Odyssey White Ice Rossie Putter
                  Summer Balls - Bridgestone E6
                  Winter Balls - Wilson Fifty Elite

Comment

Did anyone buy the $30/35 GC at a Costco in the GTA? Appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction - Brampton did not carry it.

Thanks.

PS: Will they determine a PX or other shaft type for my swing as part of this? TIA

Comment

PS: Will they determine a PX or other shaft type for my swing as part of this? TIA
                      Yes, they will carry a variety of clubs in different shafts for you to try.

WhiZ

Comment

Did anyone buy the $30/35 GC at a Costco in the GTA? Appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction - Brampton did not carry it.

Thanks.

Didn't get a chance to check last time I was at Costco in Markham. I'll look if they have it when I'm there this weekend.
                        Callaway Hyper X Driver
                        Ben Hogan Edge CFT Irons
                        Ben Hogan Colonial Wedges
                        Callaway Diablo Hybrid
                        Ben Hogan Big Ben C455 Fairway Woods
                        Odyssey White Hot XG SRT 2-Ball Putter

Comment

Didn't see them at Etobicoke (Queensway) location.
                          Greg

SIM 9* Diamana s60 Limited X, SLDR 15 Speeder Motore TS 7.2 X15*, Titleist 913HD 18* UST V2 89X, Titleist 962B (3-6) DG Sens. X100 (+1", 2* up), Miura 1957 Baby Blades (7-9) DG Sens. X100 (+1", 4* up, pured), Titleist SM4 Oil Can 48 06 bent to 47* DG Sens. X100, Cleveland 588 TSC 53* (S400), Titleist SM Oil Can 58 08, Custom Slighter Tacoma (36.25", 70*lie, 2.25* loft), Custom putter headcover by girlygolfer.com , Sun Mountain C130

Comment

Originally posted by par72 View Post
                            Also way more expensive....May I ask why you suggest they are more technologically advanced? Not doubting you, just trying to make a decision for myself.
                            I did the MATT system in Alpharetta (Georgia) and it was awesome...

You just swing with the clubs he has and with the prong (??) on your body the computer analyse what shaft you should be using... your lie angle... your loft adjustment... shaft flex... shaft type... tip flex... shaft weight... etc....

At the end he told me I should have stiff shaft in driver, 3 wood and hybrid but regular shaft for irons...

It was amazing, plus you get a CD with your swing where you could see and analyse it with a 360° rotation...
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

See this is what I thought the Callaway thing was. Sounds like it is just a launch monitor and a trackman with lots of shaft and head options to do a trial and error?

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                              I did the MATT system in Alpharetta (Georgia) and it was awesome...

You just swing with the clubs he has and with the prong (??) on your body the computer analyse what shaft you should be using... your lie angle... your loft adjustment... shaft flex... shaft type... tip flex... shaft weight... etc....

At the end he told me I should have stiff shaft in driver, 3 wood and hybrid but regular shaft for irons...

It was amazing, plus you get a CD with your swing where you could see and analyse it with a 360° rotation...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X