Barbados golf club

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barbados golf club

Originally posted by Special_K View Post
    Island is great! Weather is pretty awesome there of course...it was quite a shocker coming home to these frigid temps.
    The daily rain shower is a cool experience. Literally. Refreshing, but amazing how fast things dry up after that. Went one time in April, holy hell that was hot, 40 degrees +. And then in 2010, we experienced Hurricane Tomas. Thrilling and frightening at the same time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OtcEft4og
    – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
      The daily rain shower is a cool experience. Literally. Refreshing, but amazing how fast things dry up after that. Went one time in April, holy hell that was hot, 40 degrees +. And then in 2010, we experienced Hurricane Tomas. Thrilling and frightening at the same time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OtcEft4og

oh man that's a crazy video, where were you staying at the time?

And yeah, it can get pretty damn hot there. I remember going in September one year and it was so hot that I literally watched my ice melt in my glass of water, and it looked like i was watching a video in 3x speed lol

Comment

Originally posted by Special_K View Post
        Island is great! Locals are super friendly and it's quite safe. I also love how each coast and area of the island is different. Beaches are all accessible...no such thing as a private beach there. Nothing is cheap there though, except the beer and rum. I've been a few times as I married a woman whose family is from there. Weather is pretty awesome there of course...it was quite a shocker coming home to these frigid temps. It is too bad I didn't scratch my golf itch though.

I think that's why we keep going back to the island, we find the locals friendly and I feel relatively safe on the island while being a tourist. In terms of cost, I hear you...the island isn't the most expensive but you're not going to find a last minute deal for 499 with flight included for 7 night. Food is great in my opinion with 5 star dining all the way to the little roti dens so there's a big enough variety. Anyone who's reading this thread and hasn't been to the island, I strongly recommend you put it on your radar.

Comment

Originally posted by spinaltap View Post
          I think that's why we keep going back to the island, we find the locals friendly and I feel relatively safe on the island while being a tourist. In terms of cost, I hear you...the island isn't the most expensive but you're not going to find a last minute deal for 499 with flight included for 7 night. Food is great in my opinion with 5 star dining all the way to the little roti dens so there's a big enough variety. Anyone who's reading this thread and hasn't been to the island, I strongly recommend you put it on your radar.
          My favourite restaurant in the world in terms of quality food, location and service has to be The Cliff. Not cheap but what a view.

Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
          Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
          Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
          Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
          SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
          GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
          Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
          Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
          Bag- Titleist
          Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Comment

oh man that's a crazy video, where were you staying at the time?
            That's not my video, but it is exactly what we experienced from our condo at Maxwel Beach. Horizontal rain, howling wind and a flooded living room, even on the third floor. Private building, so all the residents and guests were asked to prepare for the coming storm. My job was to throw all the beach chairs and umbrellas into the pool. Thought that was weird at the time, but made sense when the storm hit.

We stayed here twice http://www.maxwellbeachvillas.com, a couple of places near Rockley Beach and then rented a house near Speightstown. Chasing lizards outta the house was fun, but we had blast. Never onced stayed in a hotel there. My wife and I are big on doing our own thing wherever we go, getting a car and exploring. We're so done with sitting around by the pool/beach all day. Although, Barbados is perfect if that's your thing.
            – Greg

Comment

If you can PM me some of the information on which villas you've stayed at that would be great. Wouldn't mind taking a drive and checking them out one day just to give me and the wife more options in the future
              There seems to be a lot of interest in this little island. In addition to the list I PM'd you a couple of days ago, here's the list of villas I have stayed in over the years:

-Secret Garden of Merlin Bay
              -Bruadair
              -Galena
              -Aurora
              -Melissa
              -Prudence

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                There seems to be a lot of interest in this little island. In addition to the list I PM'd you a couple of days ago, here's the list of villas I have stayed in over the years:

-Secret Garden of Merlin Bay
                -Bruadair
                -Galena
                -Aurora
                -Melissa
                -Prudence
                You're absolutely right about that. For those that have been to the island..they know why it's great. I'm don't get me wrong there are better, but I feel at exponential increase in flight time and hotel costs.

I think a thread like this gets more attention during the winter months

I'll report back and hope to have a youtube clip or two (work related) when i get back

Comment

I'm back and happy to report the course was in better shape than I had hoped. The greens on the first 9 had not been replaced. However, the back 9 had newer greens which ran true but were slow since they were letting them grow a bit more. Fairways were pretty dry, which allowed for some pretty long roll outs with good drives. The layout of the course was actually pretty enjoyable. Pretty straightforward but a fair number of 350ish yard par 4s from the blue tees (measuring 6200) which allowed some work on my approach shots with short irons (my weakest aspect of my game last season).

Also to my surprise the clubs I rented weren't half bad. set of Rocketbladez irons and RBZ stage 2 woods, driver and hybrid.

It definitely wasn't like a Sandy Lane or Royal westmoreland but for what I paid for the round I'll gladly take it. 65 USD with club rental...ya that's just fine by me...

Comment

I've always wanted to play the green monkey course. We had a tour of Sandy Lane resort (could not afford to stay) and also checked out the clubhouse and golf course. Even a logo ball is stupid expensive IIRC.

Alas the island has fallen out of favor for us. It does have an amazing culture and friendly people but there are WAY nicer beaches in the Caribbean and without any beach beggars.

My wife does miss the cultural vibe there so we might return some day.
                    Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                      Alas the island has fallen out of favor for us. It does have an amazing culture and friendly people but there are WAY nicer beaches in the Caribbean and without any beach beggars.
                      I suppose it's all relative. People believe Veradaro Cuba are the best beaches in the world. But you're right, so many islands to explore.

Like many Caribbean islands, Barbados is suffering from beach erosion. Time of year has something to do with that too. After stormy season, the beaches are quite small, so that plays a role. But have a read here...
                      Faced with the prospect of losing miles of beautiful white beaches – and the millions in tourist dollars that come with them – from erosion driven by climate change, Barbados is taking steps to protect its coastline as a matter of economic survival. “We need to be able to preserve those beaches. We need to …
                      – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                        I suppose it's all relative. People believe Veradaro Cuba are the best beaches in the world. But you're right, so many islands to explore.
                        Everybody does like different things. I started a thread a couple years ago asking what makes a beach your favorite. Lots of different ideas came up IIRC. Never been to Veradaro as the near 100% agreement in poor food scares us away.

Sandy Lane beach seemed ideal for us but Grace Bay and SMB showed us there are much better out there. Gonna check out Anguilla and Exuma in the future once we get that money tree to grow
                        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Played Apes Hill yesterday and it was a beast with the wind howling.
                          US$185 green fee. Royal Westmoreland is US$250. Took a pass on that.

Picture of 12th hole 225 yards par 3
                          Attached Files
                          Bag- Titleist

Comment

This has to be one of the best overall golf clubs in the Caribbean. Played it the weekend of the Club house opening back in mid February..by far the fastest greens I ever been on... and I was a Caddy at last year Canadian open pro am and they weren't even close to these speeds.... The members were apparently complaining about the greens not being fast enough. Wow! Be careful what you ask for. When you have greens sloping as much as these are and the winds howling of the East coast. Made these almost Impossible to putt on! Tee to green the golf course is a good challenge. A must play if you are on the island.

Comment

Royal Westmoreland is not too shabby either. Played it the last few times I was there but you're right, the greens are usually fast but yesterday was quite fair.
                              It was a tough day today, laying on the beach, lunch, swim nap and the dinner tonight!!

I could get use to this.

My apologies for the sideways picture. Not sure why it does that.
                              Bag- Titleist

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X