Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Summit GCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRedLefty View Post

I played at the beginning of June and the course was in awesome shape! If you like practicing they have top notch facilities.

The only hole that sticks out to me is #12 - short par 4 dogleg right - you need to aim further left than you think otherwise you will end up in the rough 20 yds below the green.
    Agree, bit of a Wonky hole ( small tough green to hit too) That messes everyone up if you haven't played there before , one of what I'd say are 4 weakfish holes along with( 6,7, 17) .

then again outside of a few holes ( 1,8,9 ,18 which are beauties) the golf holes themselves aren't the star attraction but the piece of land they are on is simply outstanding and one of the nicest properties I have ever seen a golf course built on. Otherwise , a straightforward , tree lined course with lots of elevation changes and some nice views from elevated tees. short, relatively easy course, especially the back 9 with 4 par 3's. Challenging, and severely sloped and elevated green complexes provide a neccesary defence to the short and easy layout. Always lush and damp fairways it seems so the ball won't stray far.

I know they lost close to 400 trees in the ice storm a few years ago ( when they lost their green's) but glad to hear that they thinned things out even further , haven't played in past 2 seasons but hoping this has helped them with better air circulation and improved grass conditions.

Excellent practice and chipping green, small and short range but in a nice setting.

majestic clubhouse with a wonderful patio overlooking 18, my fav hole on the course.

always an enjoyable experience , like golfing in the middle of Algonquin park, setting doesn't get much nicer
    Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 11, 2017, 03:09 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      Agree, bit of a Wonky hole (small tough green to hit too)
      Not small anymore. None of the new greens are small.

Challenging, and severely sloped and elevated green complexes provide a necessary defence to the short and easy layout.
      If you find it short, move back a set of tees. 7000 yards from the blacks (par 71) is hardly short.

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post
        Not small anymore. None of the new greens are small.

If you find it short, move back a set of tees. 7000 yards from the blacks (par 71) is hardly short.
        I havemt played since the before the green Renos, glad they made the greens bigger. They were lengthening 1 and redoing 10 when I was lst there. Have played what I thought was the tips but it was only 6500 ish and played shorter with all the elevated tee shots. Perhaps they have added some length to other holes besides 1. There Might have also been a par 4 closed and a par 3 used in place in those rounds. My neighbour is a member and invited me , I need to take him up on that to see these changes sounds all good. Are all the Renos done now ?
        Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 11, 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I havemt played since the before the green Renos, glad they made the greens bigger. They were lengthening 1 and redoing 10 when I was lst there. Have played what tips but it was only 6500 ish and played shorter with all the elevated tee shots. Perhaps they have added some length to other holes besides 1. There Might have also been a par 4 closed and a par 3 used in place in those rounds. My neighbour is a member and invited me , I need to take him up on that to see these changes sounds all good. Are all the Renos done now ?
          Yes, all the new greens have been open since the 2nd half of 2016. Course is in mint condition this season - definitely hit up your neighbour for another round!

Comment

Short from the tips???!!! No way..... 6 is a great short par 4 and so is 7 and yes they provide a breather. 17 is too a pretty par 3..... 12 I was told is one of Jack Nicklaus' all time favourite holes and better be left off the tee. That along with 11 & 16 from the tips and all I can say is....... Good Luck.

Smile ear to ear every time I'm out......

Comment

Agree, bit of a Wonky hole ( small tough green to hit too) That messes everyone up if you haven't played there before , one of what I'd say are 4 weakfish holes along with( 6,7, 17) .
              I'm baffled how anyone can label #12 a wonky and weakish hole. There's no better a tantalizing par 4 that tempts a player to challenge it with a fade even after one is told to drive it left. #12 is the culmination of a 5 hole stretch from #8 to 12 that is only the best in the GTA with an assortment of holes requiring a full range of quality golf shots. But then again Jack Nicklaus may not know much about golf design.

Comment

Summit is anything but "short"...its a beast from the tips (BLACK tees). Its rumored that on 16, which is over 600 yards, Dustin Johnson couldn't reach the green in 2.

12's green is fairly large, and the hole is fairly interesting R dogleg with a "ridge" of safety surrounding a large valley/gully. It requires a precision tee shot and a good 2nd to make a good score.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
                  Summit is anything but "short"...its a beast from the tips (BLACK tees). Its rumored that on 16, which is over 600 yards, Dustin Johnson couldn't reach the green in 2.
                  I can confirm that's not a rumor having been there in person. But like most rumor's there's a hint of both truth and non-truth. He hit a poor drive, the 16th fairway is always super soft, it was cool and the wind was very strong.

That said, I'm not sure how not being able to reach one hole is proof of a course being long overall.

I don't think Summit is short personally, but I also don't think it's that long. Most of the yardage is coming from a few holes with added back tees and much of that yardage is recovered through elevated tees.

I'd call Summit a medium length course.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
                    Yes - #16 is 637 yards from the black tees. Dustin hit his drive 330+, but was in the thick right rough and still had 304 to an elevated green. He laid up to 100, then wedged it close.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post

I'd call Summit a medium length course.
                      From the tips , fair enough ...6960 by the card but plays like 6500 with all the elevated tees. Case in point hole 1 is 470 par 4 with a big elevated tee and prevailing wind behind, last 2 times there I hit 7i tips and 8 from golds , and I'm not overly long. Likewise 8 and 18 play much shorter than their actual yardage, although 8 is quite tight so normally a 3wood off the tee for me. Unless the wind is howling into you, it plays like 400 not 450.

From the gold tees it plays like 6100 which in my view is short. By comparison,Markland Wood at 6200 or so and plays longer than Summit does from 6500.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the course and at one time thought about joining .....it's no Beacon Hall golf hole wise but it's as beautiful a track of land for a course as any and with the greens running fast can be punishing for any shots that end up above the hole.

Looks ks like I will be playing week after next. Looking forward to playing the new green's.

Comment

Will respectfully disagree. Played Markland and reached par 5's in 2 and plenty of irons in.

Taken guests who are in shape yet gassed by the 15th. Downhill shots yes and up hill too.

to say it plays 6100 from the golds is just wrong.

But weirfan is never wrong so I guess it is short.

Comment

From the tips , fair enough ...6960 by the card but plays like 6500 with all the elevated tees.
                          From the gold tees it plays like 6100 which in my view is short.
                          I can't agree with this at all. I have played 100s of other courses at the 6500-6600 range, and Summit's gold tees (6568) are comparable.

Elevated tees: #1,3,4,8,14,16
                          Elevated greens: #2,4,7,9,10,11,15,16,18

The fairways are on the soft side, so minimal roll on most holes - #1 and #11 are the exception. #1 does play shorter than yardage due to roll-out, and #8 does play shorter than yardage due to severity of elevation. Holes that play longer than their yardage: #2, #10, #11, #15, #16.

Enjoy your round next week Weirfan, and let us know your impressions of the latest renovations.

Comment

Add to that #4 & 18 play longer as uphill seconds.

That being said played with a 20 yo scratch yesterday and with 300 yard drives was able to play the golds quite easily. He was in second after round 1 of the cc and shot 84 85 so he too may have another opinion.
                            Last edited by gotogolf; Aug 13, 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

OUR NEWSLETTER

Collapse

* indicates required
                            Working...
                            X