Collapse

Jamaica golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica golf

Heading to Jamaica at the end of next week staying at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. I'm trying to get in 3-4 rounds at Cinnamon Hill and White Witch. Any recommendations on which is better? I've read a few critical reviews of the greens at WW from Feb/Mar (bare patches / fungus). That said, I've also read WW has much better views.

Also wondering if anyone knows where I may be able to book online instead of paying rack rate booking through the resort or course directly. Tried GolfNow but they don't seem to offer either of these.

Thx in advance for any advice!

dmc
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Re: Jamaica golf

Both are enjoyable.

WW has better views in general but CH has its share as well.

CH has more variety as the front has a few holes that stretch out to the coast and on the back 9 it snakes its way up the mountain. There is a fun driveable down hill par 4 near to the finish.

Set aside some cash for your caddy. They earn their pay.

While staying at the resort, make sure you get out early to the beach or pool to reserve your seats. Make friends with one of the servers to bring in local coconuts and mangos for you. Book the steak dinners early and as often as possible. Swing by Scotchies for some of their local jerk pork.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeytrain View Post
      Both are enjoyable.

WW has better views in general but CH has its share as well.

CH has more variety as the front has a few holes that stretch out to the coast and on the back 9 it snakes its way up the mountain. There is a fun driveable down hill par 4 near to the finish.

Set aside some cash for your caddy. They earn their pay.

While staying at the resort, make sure you get out early to the beach or pool to reserve your seats. Make friends with one of the servers to bring in local coconuts and mangos for you. Book the steak dinners early and as often as possible. Swing by Scotchies for some of their local jerk pork.
      Just the kinda info I was hoping for! Thanks!

Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Staying at the Grand gives you some free golf I believe. I would play both and choose your rounds after based on your opinion.
        White Witch is built in the mountain so you get a lot of elevation changes, along with the great views.
        Cinnamon Hill is built along the coast and into the mountain so you get a great blend of scenery.
        My reference is for Cinnamon Hill as its a great test of golf and beautiful to boot.
        White Witch is more tricked up to me and may not reward a well played shot depending on where you land the ball.
        Both are so different so play both.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
          Staying at the Grand gives you some free golf I believe. I would play both and choose your rounds after based on your opinion.
          White Witch is built in the mountain so you get a lot of elevation changes, along with the great views.
          Cinnamon Hill is built along the coast and into the mountain so you get a great blend of scenery.
          My reference is for Cinnamon Hill as its a great test of golf and beautiful to boot.
          White Witch is more tricked up to me and may not reward a well played shot depending on where you land the ball.
          Both are so different so play both.
          Yeah we get two rounds included - one for each of us - though they're trying to tell me they aren't transferable. My suspicion is they aren't too organized and will accept the pass from whomever hands it to them. Good idea - will book one at each and then decide which to replay.

Srixon Star XV
          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
            Heading to Jamaica at the end of next week staying at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. I'm trying to get in 3-4 rounds at Cinnamon Hill and White Witch. Any recommendations on which is better? I've read a few critical reviews of the greens at WW from Feb/Mar (bare patches / fungus). That said, I've also read WW has much better views.

Also wondering if anyone knows where I may be able to book online instead of paying rack rate booking through the resort or course directly. Tried GolfNow but they don't seem to offer either of these.

Thx in advance for any advice!

dmc
            My good buddy is there as we speak! They were playing CH twice

Comment

Take a look at teeoff.com you might be able to save a few dollars on the extra tee times

Comment

I played both I found white witch was not that fun to play the greens were bad and found the staff was rude and the caddy was less then helpful.
                Cinnamon Hill Was much better if you ask me the course was it amazing condition the greens were some of the best I have played. The best part was the caddy he was pleasure to be with gave lots of tips on how to play the hole and even some tips to help my game.

I have never had an issue with using booth passes for the room I even gave one to a friend as my room package came with 4 passes and his was only 2.

With the teeoff.com price it does not include the cart or the transfer just one thing to remember.

Comment

Didn't play cinnamon hill but played white witch a couple times. It's like Osprey valley on a mountain ..
                  TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                  TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                  TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                  Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                  Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                  100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

I played Cinnamon Hill, it was a blast! As most have said, ocean views front 9, mountain views on the back. There's a fun Par 3 on the front where you hit onto a green that's surrounded by the coast.

We had 2 caddies that kinda looked like Aunt Jamaima. We're like....man how good can these ladies be? We let them play a hole to watch; par and birdie. Dam.

Comment

So which course did you play?

Comment

My wife and I will be staying at the Grand Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay. Just wondering if anyone knows what a good golf course close to this resort in Jamiaca would be?
                        We'll be their the first week of May, and am wondering if it would be too hot for golf at this time of year.

Comment

Been to Jamaica 13 times and played most of the courses on the North Shore. WW and Cinnamon make sense based upon where you're staying and they are both enjoyable tracks. We took a cab to Tryall just West of MoBay and played there as that's where the old Johnny Walker World Championships were played ion the 60's, 70's and 80's. Nice picturesque track with a number of memorable holes.
                          Half Moon is a nice golf course as well located a few minutes from your hotel. I guess depending upon how much time you're prepared to spend in cabs in transit, you might also consider Runaway Bay golf club, or the Sandals Course on Ocho Rios ( used to be called the Upton course)

As previously mentioned int his thread, these are resort course built on sand bars in the Caribbean and cared for on an 'as best we can' basis - you're unlikely to find a course in the kind of mid season conditioning we're spoiled with up here...but then we can't possibly touch the vistas they can offer, the crazy great "no Problem Mon" Jamaican attitudes and cold Red Stripe Beer.

I've pasted a pic from the first tee at WW for you - Cinnamon is in the background down by the water. I call it "Fairway to Heaven". I'm very jealous of your trip - Have an IRIE time Mon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wowwitch1.jpg.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2470798

Comment

Runaway Bay is by far the closest to Gran Bahia by at least 30 mins. Not a bad course but not in the condition of the more expensive MoBay courses.A good test of golf with long par4's and tricky 3's. The wind can get crazy there but an enjoyable course. If you have the time go ahead.

Comment

Always the White Witch, always get Trevor or Alistair for your caddy!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X