Victoria BC Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria BC Golf

Hey everyone,

So I am going to be in Victoria BC for two weeks at the end of April and start of May visiting my brother. I was there last year for a very short time and was able to play the Bear Mountain courses and Metchosin, but I know there are more and was wondering if anyone has any course suggestions or golf info about Vancouver Island? I know it might not apply as it is a toronto forum but thought I would ask anyways.

Cheers!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Re: Victoria BC Golf

- I've only ever played Olympic View GC in Victoria.
    - Nice course, but a workout to walk it.
    Official site for Olympic View Golf Club, owned & operated by GolfBC. 18 holes of Championship golf in Victoria British Columbia, on Vancouver Island. Home to an award winning Golf Academy and Table Nineteen Restaurant. Book tee times online, tournaments, weddings and more.

Comment

i hear Fury Creek is a beauty. never played it though

Comment

Don't know whether you have any contacts but if you do Victoria Golf Club and Royal Colwood are must play.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
          Don't know whether you have any contacts but if you do Victoria Golf Club and Royal Colwood are must play.
          I'm trying to find contacts for them at the moment. Last I heard Colwood will sell tee times if you call day of but for $200 a round, which is too rich for me.

Comment

Furry Creek is on the Mainland and a train wreck except for a few holes. Visually stunning.

Victoria over Colwood. Write a nice letter to the pro shop. Colwood may be the better course, but Victoria is a better experience.

Bear Mountain isn't my cup of tea. Cordova Bay is good value, so is Highland Pacific. The courses up Island aren't worth the trip, but if you are in Qualicum Beach play the 9 holer. It's a gem.

Comment

Originally posted by Zebb View Post
              Furry Creek is on the Mainland and a train wreck except for a few holes. Visually stunning.

Victoria over Colwood. Write a nice letter to the pro shop. Colwood may be the better course, but Victoria is a better experience.

Bear Mountain isn't my cup of tea. Cordova Bay is good value, so is Highland Pacific. The courses up Island aren't worth the trip, but if you are in Qualicum Beach play the 9 holer. It's a gem.
              Thanks, very much appreciated! I am going to see if my club pro can maybe set something up as it is a private course for Colwood or Victoria but I don't expect anything. Cordova Bay and Olympic View are the two on my list of will play for sure.

Do you have any experience with Gorge Vale? From looking online it seems like it is a private course that allows public tee times as well?

Comment

No experience with Gorge.

VGC and RC are nice private clubs but they are pretty accessible by private club standards. There isn't a great amount of pressure on the tee sheet. They are both great clubs and being a member at either has a man well situated.

Comment

Of the four courses I played last month, I would rank:

1. Highland Pacific - really nice course with great views and some challenging holes.
                  2. Bear Mountain Valley - nice conditions, wide fairways, large but undulating greens.
                  3. Cordova Bay - was a good course but I personally enjoyed the top courses a little more.
                  4. Olympic View - was ok and did have nice views, but it was not for me. Too many blind shots, too mant elevated tees and tight fairways.

When I go back to Victoria, I would like to try out Gorge Vale and skip Olympic View....Just my $0.02.

Comment

I'm a member at Olympic View so that gets a vote. Highland Pacific is the newest in the Victoria area and also gets a vote. Both Bear Mountain courses are in the frame but have gotten a lot pricier in the last year. I worked there for 13 years until last summer so I am a bit jaded. Cordova Bay is a very nice course. Green fees run from $75.00 and up on all the above courses. Twilight is until 8 pm as of yesterday so you can get around after 3 PM.

Gorge Vale, Royal Colwood, Uplands (Cdn Tour Site) and Victoria are private courses although there are ways to get on.

Be aware that this area has had severe rain issues with courses flooding out. The local muni's back nine at Cedar Hill is virtually unplayable at this time.

The forecast is for sun with some rain and temps in the low teens for the next week so that will give us some respite. See Matt Ginella's travelogue on the Golf Channel where the Vancouver Island Golf Trail is featured.

All these courses are walkable and at 67 years old with sciatica, I walk Olympic View at least three times a week. So it's not so bad. Gorge Vale and Highland Pacific are killers to walk although I have done it.
                    Last edited by sikoram; Apr 15, 2017, 08:10 AM. Reason: addendum

Comment

The best course on Vancouver Island in my opinion is Storey Creek in Campbell River but with all the rain, I would give everything Up Island, a miss until summer.

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
                        The best course on Vancouver Island in my opinion is Storey Creek in Campbell River but with all the rain, I would give everything Up Island, a miss until summer.
                        Thanks for all the info. I am going to be there from April 22-May 6th, staying with my brother in Langford, so hopefully it dries up but I won't keep my hopes up. If your up for a round it would be nice to have some insider knowledge when going around Olympic View.

Cheers

Comment

PM me when you get into town. I can get you the guest of member rate of $53.00 instead of $72.00.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
                            I love Royal Colwood. Dad was a member for several years. Gave it up this year as the commute was a little long for him and my Mom prefers to play Cordova Bay.

If you have a membership at an Ontario course, your club pro can probably arrange a round at any of the private courses in Victoria. Would probably pay guest fees and may need to play with a member.
                            Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                            Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                            Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                            TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                            Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                            Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...