Collapse

Oakmont is a monster!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakmont is a monster!

Played Oakmont for the first time yesterday . Without question, the most demanding golf course I have ever had the pleasure of being humiliated by. Every hole is hard. Every tee shot demanding. Every green complex protected by wind, exceptional bunkering and massive, undulating and fast greens.

Shot a very consistent 50 - 50 = 100. And loved every moment. Going to get another shot at the beast today and hoping the winds are a little calmer.

If any nuts get the opportunity to play this ego crusher, drop everything and go. Such a special place. Have the added pleasure of staying at the pros cottage beside the 18th green. Enjoying coffee now while I write this.
    Attached Files

Re: Oakmont is a monster!

Sounds like fun. Enjoy.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Great report, sounds like quite the challenge

Comment

Sounds like you had a blast, good for you!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

More pics please.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
              More pics please.
              Echo this!!!

Comment

amazing! have a great day out there, show us some more pictures if you can!

Comment

Amazing experience!!

I drove down for the final round of the US Open last year and it was awesome just walking around the place. I can't imagine what it would be like to play it and check out the clubhouse/facilities.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting report, looking forward to more photos.

However this year's Open at Erin Hills at 7812 yards makes that place look like a pitch and putt course.
                    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Is it "noisy" by the Interstate?
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

its always cited as one of the harder courses by the pros.

a shame that they gutted it , removing 15,000 trees from the course....

hey but there are better views now hopefully other courses don't use that rationale.

enjoy, an old buddy ( former US Naval Champion) says its his fav course.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

They didn't "gut" Oakmont -- they just returned it to the type of course it was intended to be -- an inland links. It is tough as nails and great fun to play. Challenging sure, but still one of the best golf experiences in the world.

Highway didn't bother me at all, btw.
                          Golf blog: canadiangolfer.com/g4g

Comment

Originally posted by RobertThompson View Post
                            They didn't "gut" Oakmont --
                            removing 15,000 mature trees from the course proper is gutting it......maybe they were short of firewood. joking of course

I understand the stated rationale behind the carnage , it was also to assist with course conditioning as its always tougher to maintain the best turf conditions with tree lined courses......

fwiw my buddy still says it his fav course with in his words "no better challenge anywhere" preferred it as a tree lined course saying it was more beautiful. Interestingly the reason the course was changed from links style to tree lined was because after the 1962 US Open a prominent writer , Herbert Warren Wind, called it " An Ugly Old Brute" in an article. This prompted the membership to initiate the tree planting process to beautify it.

have you play it both prior to and after the gutting ?
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

If the trees were planted for cosmetic purposes and contrary to the original vision of the course, they really don't belong. How a course plays is more important than how it looks, although the width and scale of Oakmont are very striking to the eye.

I'm actually surprised that the members of such a venerable club would respond to a perceived slight in that manner. A club like that shouldn't need validation.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X