Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oakmont is a monster!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakmont is a monster!

Shot a smooth 92 (50 - 42) on round 2. In my defence it was still kind of windy. A few members mentioned that the wind is a much greater factor on the course since the removal of the trees.

Greens continued to confound me, and I am usually a half decent putter. I am not sure that if I hit the middle of 18 greens in regulation I could break 80. Without the help of a caddy I would have been a lot worse. Very difficult greens to read. Also very fast and undulating with lots of little crowns and valleys. Great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by gotogolf View Post
      Yea I just called for a tee time and was shocked they didn't accept them..... Is this like Bethpage black and I should just go and camp out in the parking lot?
      Yes you should. Go camping in the parking lot at Oakmont. It will earn you a one night stay in one of Pennsylvania's finest, state-sponsored accommodations.

I caddied for a few Oakmont members last year, and they were thrilled with the "gut job" of Oakmont. St. George's is currently in the process of trying to do the same kind of reno (removal of trees to improve growing conditions for the greens, albeit not to the same extent). Here, in Ontario, there is a lot more resistance to this kind of tree removal and a lot of bureaucracy to navigate. Environmentally, I think that's great. America doesn't seem to have any environmental issues to worry about (just ask their President), so I guess it's no problem to clear cut down there.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
        Shot a smooth 92 (50 - 42) on round 2. In my defence it was still kind of windy. A few members mentioned that the wind is a much greater factor on the course since the removal of the trees.

Greens continued to confound me, and I am usually a half decent putter. I am not sure that if I hit the middle of 18 greens in regulation I could break 80. Without the help of a caddy I would have been a lot worse. Very difficult greens to read. Also very fast and undulating with lots of little crowns and valleys. Great fun.
        What a dream to play there!

In order to put these scores into context for us, would you be able to let us know what your cap or index is?

Comment

Originally posted by 3whack View Post
          What a dream to play there!

In order to put these scores into context for us, would you be able to let us know what your cap or index is?
          10.8 - struggling the past few months. It has been as low as 6 and I don't think I would have had a hope of breaking 80 even at my best.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 off the tee View Post
            Yes you should. Go camping in the parking lot at Oakmont. It will earn you a one night stay in one of Pennsylvania's finest, state-sponsored accommodations.

I caddied for a few Oakmont members last year, and they were thrilled with the "gut job" of Oakmont. St. George's is currently in the process of trying to do the same kind of reno (removal of trees to improve growing conditions for the greens, albeit not to the same extent). Here, in Ontario, there is a lot more resistance to this kind of tree removal and a lot of bureaucracy to navigate. Environmentally, I think that's great. America doesn't seem to have any environmental issues to worry about (just ask their President), so I guess it's no problem to clear cut down there.
            I played last fall at the California Golf Club of San Francisco (Cal club). They had done a similar restoration to Oakmont where they removed hundreds of trees. Totally rejuvenated the course and membership. Got them into the top 100 in Golf Magazine's list of best courses. I thought the course was really really good. Members were thrilled. Seems to be a theme here ...

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
              Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
              TrGo
              iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
            • TrGo
              TGN To-Do List
              TrGo
              Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
              Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
            X