Collapse

OMB clears Clublink for Redevelopement of Glen Abbey

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMB clears Clublink for Redevelopement of Glen Abbey

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7386981-omb-sides-with-clublink-on-its-development-application-for-oakville-s-glen-abbey-property/?previewkey=eaaaadgi%2budzz%2fkemhxlhskgyoxvnwfj1o jhfgk521nyh9rg#.WUwnoXkokks.facebook

Well - looks like Clublink's $40 million dollar purchase of Glen Abbey will finally get them their desired ROI. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years and where homes and commercial development will stop, and the green space will remain. I know that many TGN'rs have no love of the golf course (myself included), but this just reinforces many of our opinions that certain golf tracks are just residential developments in waiting. a real shame.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    A birdie is usually followed by

Oh man, that's disappointing. Glen Abbey is such a historic course. Agree re developments.

Comment

I'm fairly certain you have read the article incorrectly.

The OMB hasn't cleared Clublink for development, they have sided with Clublink in forcing Oakville to make a decision within 120 days for the rezoning application and 180 days for the OP amendment application.

That doesn't mean Clublink has been given the go ahead to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
        I'm fairly certain you have read the article incorrectly.

The OMB hasn't cleared Clublink for development, they have sided with Clublink in forcing Oakville to make a decision within 120 days for the rezoning application and 180 days for the OP amendment application.

That doesn't mean Clublink has been given the go ahead to develop.
        My apologies - what I should have said is that the OMB supports the Clublink path to development. Agreed that this will not be an overnight move, but it's one less speed bump for Clublink.
        No good deed goes unpunished.
        A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
          My apologies - what I should have said is that the OMB supports the Clublink path to development. Agreed that this will not be an overnight move, but it's one less speed bump for Clublink.
          Actually, if you had said that it seems you are misinterpreting the article and incorrect again. The OMB has not said it supports the Clublink path to development at all.

The decision by the OMB was to simply force Oakville to make a decision on the applications within a quicker time frame. Oakville can still reject the proposals all the same, the decision has not been made by OMB and the OMB has not given any sort of support to the Clublink proposal, simply said a decision has to be made.

That said, if Oakville decides the development plans are not in accordance with their OP and reject the proposals, then Clublink can appeal to the OMB and the OMB will have to make a decision on whether it supports Clublink's development proposal, which would overrule any Oakville decision.

Now that said, the province is supposed to be in the process of overhauling the OMB, which would ultimately move the balance of power in to the municipalities hands. And if that happens, Oakville would more than likely be the ultimate decision maker, barring any maneuvering via Clublink, especially with such new legislation being put to the test fairly quickly.

If and when the overhaul of the OMB comes through, it will actually give a bit more hope to the anit-development side, since the OMB has been viewed as ruling in favour of developers the majority of the time.

In the end nothing has changed and there is actually more news in favour of the anti-development group with the overhauling of the OMB.
          Last edited by AverageJoe; Jun 23, 2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I think the confusion comes from this line in the article:

"The Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) has ruled in favour of ClubLink regarding its development application for the Glen Abbey golf course."

But the writer was not clear. What this is trying to say based on the rest of the article and my understanding is the OMB ruled in favour of Clublinks motion to have Oakville make a decision in a quicker time frame by ruling Clublink's application for proposal as complete, not in favour of Clublink's development proposal.

I believe there was an effort to hold up Clublink's development proposal as being incomplete, the OMB said it is complete.

It's a poor way to open the article and explain the situation.
            Last edited by AverageJoe; Jun 23, 2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Here is the Town of Oakville posting on the ruling.

It includes a link to Clublink's official plan with all supporting documents:

This is Oakville's official website on the development.

This is ClubLink's site dedicated to the redevelopment:

Comment

Re: OMB in general

I thought the good thing about the OMB was that is a decision body NOT in the municipality's hands.
                In my experiences, local politics & internal administrative bureaucracies are often spineless and cave in too readily to small local special interests groups.
                🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                  Re: OMB in general

I thought the good thing about the OMB was that is a decision body NOT in the municipality's hands.
                  In my experiences, local politics & internal administrative bureaucracies are often spineless and cave in too readily to small local special interests groups.

It all comes down to who you ask.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post

It all comes down to who you ask.
                    It all comes down to who pays what, to whom ( under the table )
                    In my bag?
                    A driver
                    A 3 and a 5 fairway
                    A 3 and a 4 rescue
                    5 irons
                    3 wedges
                    A putter

Comment

Originally posted by Jakemister View Post
                      It all comes down to who pays what, to whom ( under the table )
                      That's actually far from true. I'm not saying there aren't corrupt people out there, but the vast majority are not and one person doesn't make the decision. If that statement were remotely true, nothing would ever be rejected, and many many development projects are rejected.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X