The Stupidest thing ever.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveooo View Post

No crying a river here.
    What is the point when you have cups cut but no pins . It makes absolutely no sense .What does it take to stick a flag in a hole ?25 mins to do all 18....if even and most of the holes were cut at the front or the back of the green so 2 clubs up or down.
    wasn't meant to be harsh.
    I don't know many courses that will still cut fresh holes this time of year. If they had told you at the desk that flags are removed you would have walked?
    flag in or out, when the ground is firm don't you think center of the green is the best option? just asking what your strategy would have been for that condition.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

No crying a river here.
      What is the point when you have cups cut but no pins . It makes absolutely no sense .What does it take to stick a flag in a hole ?25 mins to do all 18....if even and most of the holes were cut at the front or the back of the green so 2 clubs up or down.
      Are you really "scoring" this time of year? For what purpose?
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Are you really "scoring" this time of year? For what purpose?
        I think OP's point is there was nothing to aim at. May as well have gone to the range.

Comment

I agree, clickbait titles are really stupid. Oh. Never mind.

Golfing in Ontario in late November but still finding something to complain about, classic.

Comment

Originally posted by jawbee View Post

I think OP's point is there was nothing to aim at. May as well have gone to the range.
            But the range has flags....................

Much ado about nothing. Golfing in november is a bonus.
            Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

Originally posted by jawbee View Post

Exactly.As well as nothing to laser ,could be 112,could be 129.
              I always keep score , i have personal goals set at the beginning of each round,otherwise might as well go to the range.
              If I was told there was no pins ,yes i would have went somewhere else.Kedron,Winchester,Columbus ,even Oshawa Airport.Lots of places still open,pins included at no extra charge.
              My strategy is to aim at the pin ,hit it high and make it stop.
              All you other guys can just keep aiming at the middle of the green.

Comment

but it's a Cold day in NOVEMBER and hardly anyone else is playing
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Played Ashbrook in Port Hope today.
                  $25 walking . Decent track ,decent shape except for one thing ....
                  the owner removed all the pins yesterday. The cups are still there just no pins. I thought on 1 someone didnt put it back. Nope .All removed, which was confirmed by the clubhouse .
                  Just stupid!
                  If that's what you call the stupidest thing ever, then you must lead a charmed life.

Complaining about no flagsticks in late November. Really?....

Comment

I’m just glad he was able to survive and tell us of his harrowing ordeal.

I promise to tell his story to warn future generations of the nightmare of deciding between 112 or 129 yards.

In all seriousness, how much are you seeking in damages for personal anguish?

Comment

I am sure there is a logical reason for it. Something like the sudden cold, snow , sleet, rain filling the cup then freezing the pin into it, this would make it hard to remove the cup when they are closing shop. Maybe a Super could put an end to this and tell us why.

Comment

Maybe the flags were out being cleaned....

Comment

The flags were probably out A) because it is the end of November and one could argue that any golf being played now regardless of paying for it or not, is considered 'bonus' golf especially here in Canada. B) The Super would have taken the flags out so they don't become frozen to the ground to the cups, the poles and flags would need some TLC for the next season, replacement, fixing damage etc. C) The Super is probably the only one working at the course and would be doing winter maintenance to the greens, spraying, topdressing etc, which having the flag poles in just makes the job take longer than needed. Flag poles are ~$100-150 a piece plus flags being anywhere from $20-$50 each. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to leave them out in the upcoming harsh weather conditions. I would argue that is hardly the 'most stupid' thing ever.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
                            I’m just glad he was able to survive and tell us of his harrowing ordeal.

I promise to tell his story to warn future generations of the nightmare of deciding between 112 or 129 yards.

In all seriousness, how much are you seeking in damages for personal anguish?
                            If there were no greens (i.e. all 'temporary') and not be told, I would understand that completely. But no flags? No.

I would say to myself "I'm playing golf in late November in Ontario, and I only paid $25. Life is good.'. But, that's me.

Comment

In my younger days, I would hop a fence onto a local course after the end of the season and play some golf free of charge. Obviously, there were no pins so I would just aim for the middle of the green. As many in this thread have pointed out, this is a good strategy that many of us should probably apply to our games on a regular basis. Also, without pins, I couldn't use a rangefinder to determine exact yardage, but I found that playing without an exact yardage actually helped my feel. After a few times of playing unsanctioned golf, I knew the locations of the pins and could aim for a section of the green where I knew the pin was.

I guess there's a difference between paying $25 and playing for free, but any chance to play golf in mid-late November is a gift; I would try to be appreciative of that gift rather than bitter about a minor inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by surette23 View Post
                                The flags were probably out A) because it is the end of November and one could argue that any golf being played now regardless of paying for it or not, is considered 'bonus' golf especially here in Canada. B) The Super would have taken the flags out so they don't become frozen to the ground to the cups, the poles and flags would need some TLC for the next season, replacement, fixing damage etc. C) The Super is probably the only one working at the course and would be doing winter maintenance to the greens, spraying, topdressing etc, which having the flag poles in just makes the job take longer than needed. Flag poles are ~$100-150 a piece plus flags being anywhere from $20-$50 each. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to leave them out in the upcoming harsh weather conditions. I would argue that is hardly the 'most stupid' thing ever.
                                that’s if the superintendent is still employed for the season. Many courses lay off their superintendent and they may have pulled the pins when the course closed. If on a whim the club opened up they could not even have access to them depending on the situation. Definitely not something to complain about given the time of the year. I used to love playing without pins and tee blocks etc when I was a kid. Makes you really enjoy the course in its raw beauty without all the clutter we have to put out every year.
                                Last edited by 5sticks; Nov 23, 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X