Collapse

replacing spikes

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing spikes

should you replace all the spikes at once or just the worn out ones...

it seems like you can't be the exact same spike that came with the shoe, so when replacing them, if you only replace the worn out one, you'll have spikes that don't match the rest of the shoe.

Thoughts? common practice, tips, etc?

Thanks!

Re: replacing spikes

Who cares if your spikes don't completely match, its a practical item, not something to worry about.

Replace as needed and use the ones left in the container to replace the others when they need it.

If you've worn them right down, get the ripper from GT, great tool.

Comment

Not allowed at our club. Spike less only.

I thought that there was a large move in progress away from spikes driven by the greens keepers association.

Comment

Originally posted by CairnsRock View Post
        Not allowed at our club. Spike less only.

I thought that there was a large move in progress away from spikes driven by the greens keepers association.
        Never heard of a club not allowing soft spikes. Which club? When did the policy start?

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post
          Never heard of a club not allowing soft spikes. Which club? When did the policy start?
          Agreed and I seriously doubt any board would ever even consider going completely spikeless. Unless the pro shop wants to increase shoe sales given the lack of guests that likely own a pair.

Comment

He probably misinterpreted your "spike" as the steel type, which are only exempt on Tour.

Replace those under the balls of your feet as needed because they impact your comfort, and stance.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Don't wait to long to replace them as they can become so worn that you can't get them out. I'd replace the entire pair vs changing out a few. I've lost a few in the past so will fill in one as needed. I have a lot of shoes that I rotate thru so I rarely replace spikes.

Comment

I just replaced all of mine with the soft/hard combo spike (can't recall the brand). But each cleat has 3 hard spikes and 3 soft ones. Concrete vs grass. I was told they should last longer than the traditional ones. Anyway, I bought extra to replace as necessary, so that seems to be the answer to the OPs question.
                – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post
                  The club is Whitevale and "spikeless shoes are recommended" in a private club that is taken as a rule due to peer pressure.

The recommendation was put in place last year when we lost all of the greens due to winter kill. The recovering greens were very fragile and the plastic spikes were tearing them up. They have kept the rule in place at the the request of the greens keeper. The members are quite happy to comply, they are "our" greens after all.

Our pro shop only sells spike less shoes.

Comment

The recovering greens were very fragile and the plastic spikes were tearing them up. They have kept the rule in place at the the request of the greens keeper.
                    Does this refer to regular golf shoes? Like my FootJoys with regular plastic spikes? Are we ALL going to have to move to spike-less now? I'd be interested in learning if there is some real justification for this, or is it because we're just off a real bad winter (2014/2015)? I like my spikes, but if it's really damaging the greens, then so be it.
                    – Greg

Comment

There is certainly a comfort, fashion change underway with spikeless shoes currently at almost 50% of total market share.

Also the chatter amongst greenskeepers at the industry shows is getting louder. The following excerpt was lifted from one of their posts...

Look at the numbers. Shoes used to have 8 or 9 metal spikes. Now shoes have 6 to 12 “spikes” each with 5 or so prongs, plus dozens, sometimes hundreds more points of contact of various sizes, depths, and sharpness. Each golfer wears two shoes, four golfers in a group, another group every 10 minutes of so. Adidas has a new shoe with 18 spikes, each of those spikes has 5 POCs, so that’s 180 impressions from each golfer with every step. And how many steps does the average golfer take on the green? Dozens.

And how many golfers do you see each day who weigh more than 250 pounds? And golfers dragging their feet, jumping up and down whether they miss or make the putt, scuffing, kicking, and otherwise tearing up the turf. Of course, it’s all worst right around the hole where every golfer steps over and over again.

No wonder our greens—which golfers want kept fast, slick, and in perfect condition—look like a close-up of the moon. And then they blame us for not taking better care of the course.

Comment

There is certainly a comfort, fashion change underway with spikeless shoes currently at almost 50% of total market share.

Also the chatter amongst greenskeepers at the industry shows is getting louder. The following excerpt was lifted from one of their posts...

Look at the numbers. Shoes used to have 8 or 9 metal spikes. Now shoes have 6 to 12 “spikes” each with 5 or so prongs, plus dozens, sometimes hundreds more points of contact of various sizes, depths, and sharpness. Each golfer wears two shoes, four golfers in a group, another group every 10 minutes of so. Adidas has a new shoe with 18 spikes, each of those spikes has 5 POCs, so that’s 180 impressions from each golfer with every step. And how many steps does the average golfer take on the green? Dozens.

And how many golfers do you see each day who weigh more than 250 pounds? And golfers dragging their feet, jumping up and down whether they miss or make the putt, scuffing, kicking, and otherwise tearing up the turf. Of course, it’s all worst right around the hole where every golfer steps over and over again.

No wonder our greens—which golfers want kept fast, slick, and in perfect condition—look like a close-up of the moon. And then they blame us for not taking better care of the course.

I won't call it a fad as this will have staying power, but the manufactures will change and so will golfers tastes. You might see more running shoe styles, but the vast majority of the worlds best still play in spikes, as well as most better players.

If Supers had their way, they would just kick golfers out. Of course they want things to be made easier for them.

If I'm going to swing aggressively when I play, I don't want spikeless shoes (have worn Ashworths and Kikkors, not a fan of Ecco's fit for me). If I'm just going to the range, no prob. Finding a hard time with any new shoe available that can beat out my broken in Adipures.

Comment

Anyone know how much GolfTown charges to change spikes these days? (I will be buying new spikes from them)
                          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                            Anyone know how much GolfTown charges to change spikes these days? (I will be buying new spikes from them)
                            I went to the store in Oshawa after a round yesterday to get mine replaced and was told they didnt offer the service. Ended up buying the spikes, one of the associates was really helpful in showing me how to replace them myself.

I think they may offer the service only at certain stores. Pretty sure I saw it was available at the Aurora Store last year
                            Last edited by ifigetaholdofit; Sep 11, 2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

It's pretty easy to replace them yourself if you get the tool. I'd recommend putting your shoes in a tub of warm water covering the soles for 15 minutes or so before removing the spikes to loosen up the dirt. It makes it a lot easier to get them out. After getting them out, scrub the bottom of the soles with a tough bristle brush (or a toothbrush) to get the rest of the dirt out of the sockets for the spikes. That makes it easier getting them in.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X