Collapse

Project X vs. Rifle Flighted

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project X vs. Rifle Flighted

A frequently asked question on other forums but here goes anyways. What are the pros and cons of Royal Precision's http://www.royalprecision.com Project X shafts vs. their Rifle Flighted? To cloud the issue even further there is a Project X Flighted as well.

Regards,
    Dan
    What's in the bag......

Big Bertha V w Attas Rockstar
    TEE Fairway Wood
    Razr 4 and 5 Hybrid
    TLT'd Srixon Z745's 6-PW MODUS3 TOUR 105
    Scor 4161 Wedges

Odyssey Works Versa

Re: Project X vs. Rifle Flighted

Just get the TT Black/Golds and you won't have to ask :P

Comment

Originally posted by setter02
      Just get the TT Black/Golds and you won't have to ask :P
      But put the Rifle Spinner in my wedges?

Regards,
      Dan
      What's in the bag......

Big Bertha V w Attas Rockstar
      TEE Fairway Wood
      Razr 4 and 5 Hybrid
      TLT'd Srixon Z745's 6-PW MODUS3 TOUR 105
      Scor 4161 Wedges

Odyssey Works Versa

Comment

Are they not the same company now? i thought the black golds was TT. 's answer to the project x, havent tried the black golds yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Twomey
          But put the Rifle Spinner in my wedges?
          Originally posted by Dan Twomey

Regards,
          Dan
          As I have my clubs Fitted to me, they were the suggestion of my guy

Comment

Originally posted by iwalk3
            Are they not the same company now? i thought the black golds was TT. 's answer to the project x, havent tried the black golds yet though.
            You can really feel the difference between the Black Gold and the ProjectX (non-flighted). The Flighted Px shafts feel very much like the original Rifle Tour Flighted but with just a bit more feel ie harsher on bad hits.

The original Px shafts imparted less spin on the ball which gave it its lower and flatter trajectory. The Flighted Px shafts were designed with a more aggressive variable kick point throughout the set to help get the ball up quicker on the long irons and keep the trajectory lower on the shorter irons. The spin is supposedly less than the regular Tour Flighted Rifle shafts.

With the Px Flighted and TT Black Gold, you can really feel the shaft "kick" or flex. With the Black Gold it feels like the flex point is closer to the grip area and stiffer in the tip section. With the Px Flighted, the shaft feels like it is flexing nearer the tip section ie softer tip. With the original Px shaft the flex feels more uniform if anything more butt stiff.

Just my personal opinion having hit all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlton
              You can really feel the difference between the Black Gold and the ProjectX (non-flighted). The Flighted Px shafts feel very much like the original Rifle Tour Flighted but with just a bit more feel ie harsher on bad hits.

The original Px shafts imparted less spin on the ball which gave it its lower and flatter trajectory. The Flighted Px shafts were designed with a more aggressive variable kick point throughout the set to help get the ball up quicker on the long irons and keep the trajectory lower on the shorter irons. The spin is supposedly less than the regular Tour Flighted Rifle shafts.

With the Px Flighted and TT Black Gold, you can really feel the shaft "kick" or flex. With the Black Gold it feels like the flex point is closer to the grip area and stiffer in the tip section. With the Px Flighted, the shaft feels like it is flexing nearer the tip section ie softer tip. With the original Px shaft the flex feels more uniform if anything more butt stiff.

Just my personal opinion having hit all 3.
              Excellent review Carlton. No point in me repeating all of this.
              Jeff Shuster
              e: jeff@jeffshustergolf.com
              p: 416.500.7070
              twitter:@JeffShusterGolf

Comment

Carlton hit it on the head perfectly.
                WITB:

Stage 2 Tour / Accra CB 55 M4
                Stage 2 Tour 16.5 / Accra Tour Z LS 65 M4
                Adams A12 Tour 3,4 / Accra Dymatch RT S3 M4
                Miura 501 CB / Accra Hybrex M4
                Titleist TVD Wedgeworks
                Scotty Cameron Tour Rat
                Scotty Cameron Knuckelhead
                Ball: Lethal

Comment

Great review Carlton....if I can ask, what facet convinced you to go with the Project X's in your clubs?
                  I like big putts and I cannot lie
                  You other putters can't deny
                  That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                  You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

I've played DGS300, Rifle FCM and Rfile TFR before switching over the PX shafts. I had read lots of reviews on the PX shafts playing 1/2 flex stiffer and at the time I could not find anyone who had them in a demo club to try so I bought a set of shafts to install on my backup clubs (which are both 2004 RAC CBs). I normally play Rile 5.5 flex and with the PX installed stock, they felt a bit firmer than I was used to. This was due to the fimer butt flex of the PX shafts. The first thing I noticed is that my dispersion tightened up considerably and my ball flight flattened out.

I naturally hit a higher ball flight so getting the ball airborne has never been an issue with me. I'm not sure if it was the lower trajectory or lighter shaft (approx 10grams) but I gained a half-club in distance with tighter dispersion. I'm not saying that PX is for everyone but luckly I took a gamble and it worked out for me. With two identical set of irons, I hit the ones with the Px the best, in fact so much better that I had PX installed on the backup set as well. I haven't hit the PX Flighted outdoors to see if there are any performance benefits for me.

Comment

Thanks Carlton, your comments are most reassuring on the PX's.

I tend to have a very high ball flight as well. So, after asking some advice around here, I ordered my new wedges with the PX 5.5 shafts. Found many instances on the 'net of golfers finding some ballooning with the spinner shafts....I want the low flight.

Thanks again, very understandable review.
                      I like big putts and I cannot lie
                      You other putters can't deny
                      That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                      You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays