Sterling SL Iron Review - Rick Shiels

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sterling SL Iron Review - Rick Shiels

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
    If you read the comments below the video(take some-leave some) some point out that he hits his 7 iron really low to begin with. If that's the case then why would he expect to see as 5 iron soar like a hawk?
    I didn't read too many comments as too many began with "Shiels knows nothing about golf (or clubs)" and I don't buy that. So... I also have trouble believing that strangers know more about his 7i flight than he does. Something doesn't quite fit there....

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder. If you ask me I will take performance over looks any day( Golfwise needless to say) You might be disappointed in the forged 4 iron. Tough club to game imho unless your cap is below 5
    You've really got me thinking about looks vs. performance for non-golf sports. Not an easy choice, not at all....
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
      I don't think they look that bad... I'd remove some of the red/black paintfill and mess around a little but overall they look nice to my eye. And spray painting a PING logo on.
      Fixed it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
        I don't think they look that bad... I'd remove some of the red/black paintfill and mess around a little but overall they look nice to my eye. I have a 23* 5 iron now and I can't get it in the air unless it's off a tee and I hit it perfect. I'll definitely be going with the 5 hybrid.
        The Sterlings look really good in person. They are a bit on the larger size but top line is narrow and aesthetically quite ok
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
          Thanks for posting this Jeff.

Kind of a weird review. Guy hits the ball really straight and consistently yet finds something to complain about with every club - 7I is five yards shorter than he would like (really, 5 yards??), 5I flies too low, G wedge flies too high (really???), and get off my lawn you kids!

My problem with these reviews, and its obviously not your fault, is that unless they've played several rounds with the clubs I'm not sure how useful they are. If I picked up some clubs, hit them dead straight and within 2 - 3 yards on every shot, the first time I tried them in the sim, I'd being heading to the checkout yelling "start the car." It can likely only improve when you've used them more. Instead they get kind a wishy-washy review.

I know you are looking at the Sterlings and I would take the positives out of this; soft feel, consistent yardages and very accurate. YMMV.

Sadly not made by PING though.
          This. Only question might be whether or not a scratch golfer is in a better position to opine definitively without a lot of practice.
          WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
            This. Only question might be whether or not a scratch golfer is in a better position to opine definitively without a lot of practice.
            Scratch golfer can probably hit any club you hand them.one memory comes to mind, when the grove rule was being formalize, didn't Phil Mickelson bring out a set of Ping eye 2 clubs from retirement .

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
              Scratch golfer can probably hit any club you hand them.one memory comes to mind, when the grove rule was being formalize, didn't Phil Mickelson bring out a set of Ping eye 2 clubs from retirement .
              I'm not sure that one of the top touring pros is the same as a typical scratch golfer. And even then, don't we always hear how these guys need time to adjust when they switch to a new manufacturer or even to a different model from their current sponsor?

Even though a scratch golfer, teaching pro, etc. may be able to hit any club decently I don't think they can fully evaluate them from a few swings. They can likely do it faster than a hacker like me but I still think it requires some time and definitely needs to be done off grass at some point.
              Last edited by Smittyman; Feb 15, 2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Shiels says nothing that could be construed as disparaging about the Sterling irons. He simply says their ball flight may not suit his game.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  Shiels says nothing that could be construed as disparaging about the Sterling irons. He simply says their ball flight may not suit his game.
                  The one thing his says several times is Consistency

That is what it is all about. If you can count on your 150 yard club going 150 yards, what difference does it make what number is on the bottom?

By the end of the season I was a full club longer...that actually causes other issues.... initially anyways.

I attribute that to better contact on all irons.

I just got a sample of the only SL FWY woods....Looking forward to trying them out next week in Hawaii!
                  JIM
                  Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
                  TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
                  Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder. If you ask me I will take performance over looks any day( Golfwise needless to say) You might be disappointed in the forged 4 iron. Tough club to game imho unless your cap is below 5
                    my cap is 7.8. I havent used a 4 iron in ten yrs. my hybrid goes high as a kite and long. no need for a 4.
                    my 5 only goes 170 and my 6 only goes 160 so i am bunched close. the 4 iron goes 175 for me so completely useles..

years ago read golf digest. read review of some highly rated irons. bought them. never ever got comfortable over them...the offset was a bit not my style...the looks at address...i always fidgeted...even though i hit them pretty good i just didnt suit my eye...
                    sold them within a yr for a complete loss.
                    so i believe rightly or wrongly (and many agree with me)...yes performance matters but if you do not like the look of a club...you do not ever get completely comfortable...
                    so i will not buy irons only because of performance...they must suit my eye..do not have to be the be all and end all....

but if i look at the Sterling and see a muted...bland...generic font...and clunky look then i cannot game them whether i test them and they are great or not.
                    Just looking thru his designs...they almost always are not great looking..his game improvement ones especially look like they were made for 4 yr olds a la Tonka Truck style...
                    not my cup of tea.
                    PING CAMO BAG...
                    WEAPONS...
                    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                    3W TM M2
                    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
                      my cap is 7.8. I havent used a 4 iron in ten yrs. my hybrid goes high as a kite and long. no need for a 4.
                      my 5 only goes 170 and my 6 only goes 160 so i am bunched close. the 4 iron goes 175 for me so completely useles..

years ago read golf digest. read review of some highly rated irons. bought them. never ever got comfortable over them...the offset was a bit not my style...the looks at address...i always fidgeted...even though i hit them pretty good i just didnt suit my eye...
                      sold them within a yr for a complete loss.
                      so i believe rightly or wrongly (and many agree with me)...yes performance matters but if you do not like the look of a club...you do not ever get completely comfortable...
                      so i will not buy irons only because of performance...they must suit my eye..do not have to be the be all and end all....

but if i look at the Sterling and see a muted...bland...generic font...and clunky look then i cannot game them whether i test them and they are great or not.
                      Just looking thru his designs...they almost always are not great looking..his game improvement ones especially look like they were made for 4 yr olds a la Tonka Truck style...
                      not my cup of tea.
                      I'd agree. Looks inspires confidence over a club. I am into design/aesthetics and these look about as blah as they come.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

No problem. To each his own. Hybrids are not the most aesthetically pleasing thing to look at either imho and almost everyone has one in the bag now. Why? Because they perform. Same could be said about the Ping Eye 2 of old but I digress as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
                          The one thing his says several times is Consistency

That is what it is all about. If you can count on your 150 yard club going 150 yards, what difference does it make what number is on the bottom?

By the end of the season I was a full club longer...that actually causes other issues.... initially anyways.

I attribute that to better contact on all irons.

I just got a sample of the only SL FWY woods....Looking forward to trying them out next week in Hawaii!
                          And this is a guy that has played out of consistent address position for years (TLT) and still found he needed to play a number of games before the SL set consistency got dialed in.

This is why I am so troubled by people that insist on LM numbers (by testing all different combinations in 1 session) there is no way that you are dialed in through all the variety of shafts, heads, flexes, weights - that you tested on the day of your fitting.

I continue to believe that setting the length and lie to your strongest athletic address position - then go play 5 rounds minimum - allow your body to adjust to the new stance. Looking for the few good hits you do on that day and saying - this is the set for me - is just not sound to me.

The player in the video had very little time to become accustomed to the fit - which is where - just as Jim states - Jim had better contact after many rounds of play. It takes time to learn to play from your new address.

Those that say the wedges are too long - simply have not played them enough to retrain your body after years of crouching. In SL if the 5 irons fits, then the 8 iron fits and the SW also fits - why? - because they are all the same length and lie.
                          Regards
                          Dan

True Length Technology TM
                          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                          True Frequency Technology TM
                          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                          - Master
                          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                          - Advanced / Professional
                          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                          - Class 'A'

Comment

[QUOTE=danscustomgolfshop;1627719]
                            I continue to believe that setting the length and lie to your strongest athletic address position - then go play 5 rounds minimum - allow your body to adjust to the new stance. Looking for the few good hits you do on that day and saying - this is the set for me - is just not sound to me.

QUOTE]

Moreover the subject may have an on or off day

Comment

Jim from Kona Golf is building a Sterling 4-GW set for me .
                              From my experience on the course and the logic of a consistent club length in the irons I'm confident this single length design is going to lower my score. I want solid ball-striking, consistent distances ,keeping the ball in the fairway and on the green. I will work on all the other stuff like ball flight height, draw,fade ,ect once I have some consistency in my playing abilities.
                              Regarding the appearance of the Sterling irons I have actually seen them and they look better in person ,quality well machined design.
                              I'm looking forward to this season

Comment

Any idea when the left handed heads are coming out?
                                Titleist 915 D2
                                Titleist 915 F
                                Wishon 929 F
                                Wishon 775 Hybrid
                                PING i5 Irons
                                PING Tour S Rustique 52*
                                PING Anser 56*
                                PING Glide ES 60*
                                MannKrafted Rattler XL
                                MannKrafted Midwave
                                SGC 902 Custom

Comment