Collapse

How important is it which pros play a brand

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How important is it which pros play a brand

For me I think it comes down to areas of the bag that the general public see as mimic-worthy. For instance, 12 years ago when I first started working in golf retail nobody had a hybrid in their bag and stock sets were 3-Pw. Now, many tour pros are at worst carrying a driving iron thing as a 3 iron and playing their sets 4-PW (I know their are some exceptions to the rule). On the amateur side of things, most people opt for hybrids/easier to hit irons on the long end of the set. You can't even really get a 3-PW set anymore as stock, and many companies have forgone the 3i entirely (M2, G/GMax, and I'm sure there are more).

So amateurs saw that tour pros are hitting easier clubs in the long end and adopted this practice. Same with wedges. Most people would probably benefit from hitting a mega chunky SGI-matching wedge out of the sand/rough. However, tour pros have illustrated how much more finesse you can have with feel and spin and shot flight with a tour-level wedge like a Vokey and Cleveland, which have become a staple in many amateur's bags. Further, putters are an area where the masses mimic the pros. Scotty Cameron built an empire off of Tiger when he was in his prime due to his Newport 2. Every other guy I played with seemed to have a Scotty or at least had given it a fair run. I mean, if the best player ever (or so we thought) was using one, why wasn't I? The only difference was a modified sight dot and the quality of the steel. I bet 9/10 guys wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a GSS and a Studio Stainless in terms of feel unless it was labelled.

We are seeing the same putter trend currently with the Spider Tours. They are selling out like crazy. I can't keep them in stock, and at least 10 people a day try them out. It doesn't hurt that every week you see someone in the final group using one.

While to me it doesn't matter what a player uses, as I play what works best for me, there is definitely some subconscious influence in the style and makeup of a bag that comes from television.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
      I probably tried the Nike one platinum because Tiger played it. The only time I consciously made a purchase based on pro usage.
      How can a Pingnut play Nike equipment?
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

not at all. I don't watch much golf - mostly the majors. I get most of my info on here, wrx, etc. but don't care much of who plays what. Same goes for clothes. I like Puma clothing and shoes, mostly for the fit but wear it in spite of Ricky, since I prefer a little more toned down than what he wears (and nothing orange). And those hightops are goofy.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I voted "somewhat important"
          ....not for equipment, but certainly clothing, shoes & balls!!
          Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Completely unimportant. This was proven by Nike. They had the two most famous players in the world playing their clubs and still couldn't sell their clubs. They subsequently got out of the club-selling business.

Comment

I was speaking to a guy that works at our biggest retailer out here.

He said that when Tiger made the switch to Bridgestone balls, they sold out of their stock almost immediately.

Now that he is back on the shelf, the balls aren't moving at all.

Comment

I voted "very important" not because I personally care about what clubs in my bag are used by pros (as stated several times...as an amateur I wouldn't be able to use their equipment even if it were given to me for free!).

However, the strong sales and "hype" of a club (or even things like balls and clothes) are directly related to who uses them.

As pointed out earlier, TM Spider Tours are all the rage with DJ, Jason Day and Jon Rahm among others rocking them. TM M1/M2 are a hot commodity on tour and as well, in many amateur bags. Everyone loves and wants to use ProV1 balls as many pros do.

I think money talks and amongst the average consumer, they are saying that what pros play matters.

Comment

Agree. I care more what guy are NOT paid to play. Mizuno irons have a lot of guys playing them not on contract, that tells they produce quality. Also, I check what top NCAA guys use too. Dont really care what guys are paid to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick12 View Post
                    Agree. I care more what guy are NOT paid to play. Mizuno irons have a lot of guys playing them not on contract, that tells they produce quality. Also, I check what top NCAA guys use too. Dont really care what guys are paid to play.
                    Unfortunately this isn't that reliable either. Most of the top university programs are sponsored by Ping and Titleist. The Oregon team had bags full of Nike gear the last few years too. The players cannot take the equipment for free but probably pay like $50 and get a full bag of gear. Now I don't pay much attention, but it is pretty curious to see college kids, who are on average some of the most broke adults on the planet on average, playing with bags that cost $2,500+ retail while they are in school and not winning any money due to their amateur status.

So, they 100% get sponsored as well. I can't remember the last time someone was using older equipment there. Last time I watched it the players had bags full of 716 AP2/CB irons, s55s, Nike Vapor Pro Combos, etc, and of course all with upgraded shafts too.

Comment

I think many Amateurs are influenced by what Pros play. So many people go into brand agnostic fittings wanting a specific brand. Same as going to big name brand for fitting.
                      I got a set of Srixon because they work the best for me and i get a lot of strange looks.

Comment

I think it gets amateurs interested to at least look and try a specific brand and model but overall performance usually wins out in the end

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X