Iron Shaft Question

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Shaft Question

Hey All,

I'm thinking about getting new iron shafts. I've seen graphite has come a long way and was wondering if anyone had an opinion or review on the FUJIKURA MCI 100 S vs Project X PXI. I did a search on Google and didn't come up with much.

Never tried the Fujis. The PXi is smooth feeling but isn't graphite. It's a stepless, painted steel that weighs 113 grams.

Comment

Steelfibers are the only way to go, been 3 years now and would never change to anything else

Comment

Originally posted by steveooo View Post
        Steelfibers are the only way to go, been 3 years now and would never change to anything else
        Steelfibers are nice if you like a firmer, boardier feeling shaft (in my opinion they feel that way but I've only tried the i110 CW). I prefer the feel of Recoil 95s, if the OP wants something right around 100g.

Comment

MCI's are absolutely unreal. I was hitting them at MG in january, not as harsh as the steelfibres, and better dispersion than the recoils 110s I currently play, with that same soft feel. FWIW, I was fit into 95g stiff that would be built up to xstiff.

Only downside is the $130/shaft cost... If price is a concern I would go with the recoils.
          TM M1 Tour AD-DI 6S
          TM SLDR 3 wood accra tour z
          Srixon U65 18* Matrix White Tie
          Srixon U45 22* Matrix White Tie
          Apex Pro Combo 5-P UST Recoil 110
          Vokey SM4 50/54/58
          Odyssey Toe-Up #1
          Ball: Round & White Preferably

Home Club; Station Creek

Comment

Are these still for generally older folk? I placed an order for a complete set of the MCI's in 102 gram weight. I really love the feel of my hybrids so I am trying to mimic that with the irons now.

Comment

As far as graphite goes Recoil, MCI, and Project X LZ tour graphite, and also Accra Tour and CWT are all nice options. I've played them all except MCI but I have tested them.

Yes in most cases graphite tends to be more expensive but there are some OEM's that offer some versions for little or no up-charge. But for those looking for "tour" weight shafts there is often a bit of a higher cost.

For those wondering about how stable graphite shafts are, there is a great detailed write up by a member on GolfWRX on his recent switch and testing and he's a plus handicap with a tour level swing speed.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...#entry15828424
              My move to graphite irons shafts after surgery - Fujikura Pro95 TS - posted in WRX Club Techs: Nicely done! Great to hear your playing more. When you hit the steelfiber what weight did you try? If you could've got the SF at the same price, would you have still gone with the Fuji? I play the SF i95's what Fuji would compare the most ?

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
                Are these still for generally older folk? I placed an order for a complete set of the MCI's in 102 gram weight. I really love the feel of my hybrids so I am trying to mimic that with the irons now.
                Absolutely not. I was 27 when I switched in to graphite, and I can say I don't think I will ever go back. Now that they are being built to steel weights and bend profiles, why wouldn't you give them a go? And I love how much easier they are on my my wrist vs steel (old kitchen injury).
                TM M1 Tour AD-DI 6S
                TM SLDR 3 wood accra tour z
                Srixon U65 18* Matrix White Tie
                Srixon U45 22* Matrix White Tie
                Apex Pro Combo 5-P UST Recoil 110
                Vokey SM4 50/54/58
                Odyssey Toe-Up #1
                Ball: Round & White Preferably

Home Club; Station Creek

Comment

I've been playing Accra I Series for a number of years now in my irons and wedges. Went from C-Tapers to Accra and I'm thrilled.

Comment

I play Steelfiber i110 CW and am a big fan. Just something I thought I'd try and they've been in the bag for over 3 years now. No reason to try anything else. Great feel; not boardy.

Comment

I get the shafts today! Now I need to find someone to install them.

Comment

I went and saw TLT Dan on Friday... He is going to install the MCI shafts in my clubs. I get them back today and will update everyone on how they feel.

Comment

I got my clubs back from TLT Dan. He did a very good job installing the Fujikura MCI 100 S in my Titleist AP2 716 irons. I am very impressed with the irons now. Trajectory for me at the moment is a bit high but it travels far. I am back up to where I was in distance last year.

Thanks a lot TLT Dan, I will recommend you to anyone else that I know needs to be fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by triniexr View Post
                            I got my clubs back from TLT Dan. He did a very good job installing the Fujikura MCI 100 S in my Titleist AP2 716 irons. I am very impressed with the irons now. Trajectory for me at the moment is a bit high but it travels far. I am back up to where I was in distance last year. info about coffee grinders
                            discussion about the best wireless headphones
                            Thanks a lot TLT Dan, I will recommend you to anyone else that I know needs to be fitted.
                            Thanks for the feedback. I willl also get mine fitted there as well when I get my new shafts at the end of the month.
                            Last edited by markprud; Jun 4, 2018, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I did more than just install the shafts. The lofts and lie angles were quite poor on this set (as far as specs go), so I dialled these in as well. Corrected all the combinations of length and lie and brought the swing weight into an MOI progression that will create a similar feel between each club.

Everything was dialled into my True length Technology math model - to the correct Series determined through my fitting process.

It was a pleasure working with you and I am excited for your game improvements that will come after a few rounds.
                              Regards
                              Dan

True Length Technology TM
                              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                              True Frequency Technology TM
                              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                              - Master
                              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                              - Advanced / Professional
                              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                              - Class 'A'