Collapse

My Mizuno MP18 and TM 790 Review

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mizuno MP18 and TM 790 Review

I actually got to try these out yesterday. The entire mp18 line and the 790s.

I didnt have time to hit the mmc and only hit a few with the flihi.

Looks:
    I will say this the Mizuno Mp18 lineup is a thing of beauty. If you got a combo set you would be hard pressed to tell a difference from the topline (the flihi was a touch thicker but u had to really look)

The only noticeable difference although negligble was blade length. The MB was slightly shorter then the SC again not noticeAble. But comparing MB to MMC it was slightly noticeable but trust me u could easily do a
    3/4 fli hi
    5/6 mmc
    7/8 SC
    9/pw MB and not tell the difference at all. Tbe best thing is if u get the lofts bent to prooerly match the offset is identical to if u bought an entire set of one of the lines.

The 790s are also a thing of beauty. Theyre back is beautiful and overall headsize and topline is a hair larger then my AP2s.

Feel and Performance:

This is where i found it interesting. All mizuno heads were 6i demos at 30* loft except the flihi which i think is 28 or whatever is standafd 6i.

The 790 was a 30.5* 7i.

The numbers i was getting from the Mp18 MB and SC were just about perfect for me. Both were hit with a modus 120S.

Both performed almost identical. Carrying around 167-171yards. Spinning around 5800rpm (MB spun a touch more) and the MB had on avg 1* steeper descent angle. Both launched pretty much identical.

Feel both were superb however the MB was pure butter on a flush centre shot. Like hitting a marshmellow. The SC was also very soft but slightly edged by the MB.

Forgiveness. This suprised me. I found the MB almkst as forgoving as the SC with mishits travelling almost as far as mishits with the SC. Loss of about 6-12y with MB and maybe 5-10 with SC. The bigger difference was feel if you caught that MB thin man did it frigging sting. It let you know right away and man did it suck lol. Doing that on a cold brisk morning where the ball has also hardened up would be painful. The SC were still very responsive in terms of feedback but didnt feel like i shattered my elbow from the vibration s of a mishit.

The 790 were interesting... The feel was umm...not clicky like your typical cast club but not soft either. Was muted and dead. I couldnt really tell where i was impacting the ball. It djdnt feel bad but feedback was poor.

It also didnt perform for me. It carried about 5-7y shorter then the mizunos with 500 less spin and i think LA was about same but peak height and descent angle were lower.

It was very forgiving tho. Even badhits went as far as my good ones almost. But directional and trajectory control were almost non existant. I duno if that's because of design or bexause i couldnt get the feel for the head.

The Flihi did exactly what its supposed to. It launched those suckers nice and high while keeping spin and moonballs out of play. Definetly would want a 3i or 4i in this. Sorry no numbers to recall.

As for mmc ill hace to test another time but in truth i prob wouldnt bother because id likely go
    3i flihi(if i bagged on)
    4i flihi
    5-7 SC
    8-Pw MB

Or just go SC all the way in truth.id love to get fit for the mizunos but cant afford to lol.

I was at GT last week hitting the SC against the MMC. Went back today as the full sets have arrived and are on the wall. The SC is absolutely stunning, every club in the set looks perfect to my eye. Same goes for the MB but I have no business looking at that.

Jasonp Loft on the MMC 6 iron is actually 2* stronger than the MB/SC. Also, the MMC has more offset than the MB/SC (.09" vs .12" in the 5 iron), doesn't sound like much but immediately noticeable.

Found that the MMC definitely had a firmer feel/sound to it, but still very nice. Didn't like the look of the additional offset on the MMC, reminded me very much of the AP2 which doesn't suit my eye. Did not find that the MMC gave me any performance benefits that would justify putting it in a combo set in place of the SC. Whereas I'm a huge fan of the MB/SC cosmetics I found the look of the MMC to be a bit of a turnoff - don't want all the MM stuff in my face like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
      I actually got to try these out yesterday. The entire mp18 line and the 790s.

I didnt have time to hit the mmc and only hit a few with the flihi.

Looks:
      I will say this the Mizuno Mp18 lineup is a thing of beauty. If you got a combo set you would be hard pressed to tell a difference from the topline (the flihi was a touch thicker but u had to really look)

The only noticeable difference although negligble was blade length. The MB was slightly shorter then the SC again not noticeAble. But comparing MB to MMC it was slightly noticeable but trust me u could easily do a
      3/4 fli hi
      5/6 mmc
      7/8 SC
      9/pw MB and not tell the difference at all. Tbe best thing is if u get the lofts bent to prooerly match the offset is identical to if u bought an entire set of one of the lines.

The 790s are also a thing of beauty. Theyre back is beautiful and overall headsize and topline is a hair larger then my AP2s.

Feel and Performance:

This is where i found it interesting. All mizuno heads were 6i demos at 30* loft except the flihi which i think is 28 or whatever is standafd 6i.

The 790 was a 30.5* 7i.

The numbers i was getting from the Mp18 MB and SC were just about perfect for me. Both were hit with a modus 120S.

Both performed almost identical. Carrying around 167-171yards. Spinning around 5800rpm (MB spun a touch more) and the MB had on avg 1* steeper descent angle. Both launched pretty much identical.

Feel both were superb however the MB was pure butter on a flush centre shot. Like hitting a marshmellow. The SC was also very soft but slightly edged by the MB.

Forgiveness. This suprised me. I found the MB almkst as forgoving as the SC with mishits travelling almost as far as mishits with the SC. Loss of about 6-12y with MB and maybe 5-10 with SC. The bigger difference was feel if you caught that MB thin man did it frigging sting. It let you know right away and man did it suck lol. Doing that on a cold brisk morning where the ball has also hardened up would be painful. The SC were still very responsive in terms of feedback but didnt feel like i shattered my elbow from the vibration s of a mishit.

The 790 were interesting... The feel was umm...not clicky like your typical cast club but not soft either. Was muted and dead. I couldnt really tell where i was impacting the ball. It djdnt feel bad but feedback was poor.

It also didnt perform for me. It carried about 5-7y shorter then the mizunos with 500 less spin and i think LA was about same but peak height and descent angle were lower.

It was very forgiving tho. Even badhits went as far as my good ones almost. But directional and trajectory control were almost non existant. I duno if that's because of design or bexause i couldnt get the feel for the head.

The Flihi did exactly what its supposed to. It launched those suckers nice and high while keeping spin and moonballs out of play. Definetly would want a 3i or 4i in this. Sorry no numbers to recall.

As for mmc ill hace to test another time but in truth i prob wouldnt bother because id likely go
      3i flihi(if i bagged on)
      4i flihi
      5-7 SC
      8-Pw MB

Or just go SC all the way in truth.id love to get fit for the mizunos but cant afford to lol.

I've found the SC to be one of the softest irons I've ever hit. That being said I was also quite surprised by the way the P790 Performed and felt through grass. Hitting them outside,I got a real good feel for both. Having hit almost everything on the market, the SC reminded me of an old school Mizzy, while the P790 felt like the PXG 0311's. Probably the closest thing to a PXG Iron I've hit.

I think the whole Mizzy line up is going to do quite well for players looking in that traditional CB/MB with a touch more forgiveness. That MMC is going to be a darkhorse i think, especially if people get fit at facilities(Modern, TXG, Power Golf) and at GT.

These and the AP3's are my two sets that I think will battle it out for best selling this up coming year.

Comment

I know the MMc and flihi are stronger lofted and more offset. But they were designed that if u got them bent weaker to match the sc or mb the offset would be the same. Its right from Mizuno themselves.

Comment

I've had a set of MP-4 with Steelfiber i110CW for a few years.
          They are my weekend set I keep at Owen Sound, and I just Luv' 'em !

When looking at the MP-18 blade full-sets in person on a few occasions, the Blades seem so much smaller to my eyes than my MP-4. I think it is the finish of the MP-18, and the different finish of the grooved section, that makes them look smaller than my MP-4.

I really thought I was going to jump on a combo set of Blades + SC , but think I'm going to hold off on that.
          I'm now leaning towards SC in PW-7i, MMC in 6i-5i, Fli-Hi in 4i.

Funny how the MMC, with both Tungsten & Titatium materials involved, and assumed more labour, is $200 cheaper than a set of Blades or SC.

I thought the previous JPX line-up was exciting, but the MP-18 line gets my Mizzy enthusiasm up even more, Well Done !!
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
          Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
            I've had a set of MP-4 with Steelfiber i110CW for a few years.
            They are my weekend set I keep at Owen Sound, and I just Luv' 'em !

When looking at the MP-18 blade full-sets in person on a few occasions, the Blades seem so much smaller to my eyes than my MP-4. I think it is the finish of the MP-18, and the different finish of the grooved section, that makes them look smaller than my MP-4.

I really thought I was going to jump on a combo set of Blades + SC , but think I'm going to hold off on that.
            I'm now leaning towards SC in PW-7i, MMC in 6i-5i, Fli-Hi in 4i.

Funny how the MMC, with both Tungsten & Titatium materials involved, and assumed more labour, is $200 cheaper than a set of Blades or SC.

I thought the previous JPX line-up was exciting, but the MP-18 line gets my Mizzy enthusiasm up even more, Well Done !!
            All the same price, set price is lower for MMC because its only 4-PW, Blades and SC set price is 3-PW.

Anyone else notice that the price on the 900 Forged and Tour has been bumped up by $100 to match the MP18 price? Price is $1500 at GT online but still posted as $1400 in store.

Comment

I can definetly see a set of mizunos in my future. Likely that or srixons.

but hitting the mizunos were soo nice.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X