Collapse

Maltby DBM Irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maltby DBM Irons

I am very interested in this or the TE Forged (same iron) they get fantastic reviews. Super soft and forgiving. Beautiful looking.

Ive read countless reviews to this affect.

However most say these go High...but theres no comparison or launch data etc. Some are saying they go high but are comparing to old gamers with different shafts etc.

So a couple questions.

1) When people say higher are they launching higher or peaking higher or both?
    2) do they spin more?
    3) Size wise would they compare to my 714AP2s? (i saw the one post comparing it to the Srixon 745 and it looks almost smaller? Less offset I think shorter blade length but thicker topline?)
    4) How would launch/spin compare to AP2s assuming the same shaft...

How would these compare in launch/spin to the new MP18s? Right now DBMs and or MP18 (Flihi/SC/MB Split Set) are the lead contenders.

where I am there is nowhere to test the DBMs. Ive hit the MP18 SC and MB tons the MB feels amazing but I have no business gaming a 4/5/6 MB.

For reference I am getting about 121-122mph Ballspeed from the MP18 SC 6i launching around 16-18* with 5600-5800 spin. (numbers pretty similar with the MB too). Thats with a PX L.Z 6.5 Shaft...if i go with the 6.0 shaft I can get launch down and Ball speed up but spin/dispersion suffer.

If anyone has any comparisons to other clubs theyve had with the same shafts etc that would be great.

I have quite a few players gaming these and feedback has been nothing but positive. No reports of too high and we did testing for this with 1 of my better players. I would have no problem building you a test DBM, so if this is something you want to try let me know and we can get going on this. I already have your specs from our fitting so should be no problem. Just need to decide a shaft and grip.
    Regards
    Dan

True Length Technology TM
    Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
    True Frequency Technology TM
    - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
    - Master
    Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
    - Advanced / Professional
    Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
    - Class 'A'

Comment

Why don't you just buy a head and try it on course? They are cheap enough ($100 with shaft, head, grip) that it won't be that big of a deal to build one up. I really doubt anyone on here has tried them. Most of the component love you see on here is from Sterling or Pinhawk.

Comment

I may just build a 6i eventually but was curious to see if anyone had any feedback.

Comment

Sorry if I sound grumpy about this, but my question is why? You admit that the difference between your own irons and the MP18 or Srixons is at best 3 yards. Is the feel that much different between your own and the new clubs to justify spending $1500 at worst or about $800 at best if you go the Maltby's? Don't get me wrong, I am the king of changing stuff just for the sake of changing stuff. Yet, even I feel like if you bent your irons 1* stronger (including your wedges to match the gaps better after the change), you'd achieve the same ball speed jumps you are seeing with the new stuff, you'll be able to flight it down a bit better (~1*), and kill about 300 RPMs of spin while doing so.

To me anyways that seems like the best option. However, if the shafts and heads feel like garbage to you then it might be worth the change. Just my 0.02, don't want to step on any toes.

Comment

None at all. I just cant stand my c tapers anymore. Youre right the performancr increase is slim to none but ive worked on smoothing my transition more and more and in doing so the C Tapers are actually feeling worse and worse.

the cost of reshafting my ap2s just isnt worth it nowadays. Cheaper to sell them and get new irons.

Thats the real reason.the cost of reshafting is gonna be almost 400$ if not more if i pay for labour. Especiallu cuz at this point PX LZ is the leading shaft. S400 are close too.

at that rate im better off selling my irons for a minimum of 400$ and getting new sticks.

Comment

Ive played the Maltby MTF forged and the M05 forged which were/arr the same exact hea as the TE forged ( Not sure why they changed the name twice)
              Its an excellent , very high quality head with good forgiveness , playability and looks.( there is a chrome and black model) Few people i have played with hit the ball as high as I do and i dont recall these heads providing any added height.

I have a set on my workbench now if you want to stop in and have look. Im building a set for a friend , low single digit player. moved him to Maltby tour wedges last year, which he loved so now these are next.

for a test run try ebay or post an add on a US forum, these high end components get much play down there so more available. I picked up this set of mint heads for dirt cheap off a buddy. As said above, the MTF and M05 is the same head outside of minor cosmetics so you can try any of the three to get an idea.

You probably know this but these heads will accept both taper and .370 parallel shafts.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

How are these in terms of bending. Ive heard reviews that they can crack easy but ive also heard that was a first release issue and GW has since fixed that.

being forged loft and lies sometimes move from regular use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  How are these in terms of bending. Ive heard reviews that they can crack easy but ive also heard that was a first release issue and GW has since fixed that.

being forged loft and lies sometimes move from regular use.
                  They are chrome plated irons. ( not the black) no matter the head there is always a risk that chrome plating can crack , crease or dimple on a bend. Likewise there is always a risk that a head can break during a bend. That said these models have been very popular over the years and discussed alot on forums and that is not an issue I recall ever hearing.

You are correct, soft stainless and forged heads should be checked for loft and lie every say 30-50 rounds. Most forged arveasily bendable , im sure Dan has worked on and bent many over the years so probably better to advise.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

None at all. I just cant stand my c tapers anymore. Youre right the performancr increase is slim to none but ive worked on smoothing my transition more and more and in doing so the C Tapers are actually feeling worse and worse.

the cost of reshafting my ap2s just isnt worth it nowadays. Cheaper to sell them and get new irons.

Thats the real reason.the cost of reshafting is gonna be almost 400$ if not more if i pay for labour. Especiallu cuz at this point PX LZ is the leading shaft. S400 are close too.

at that rate im better off selling my irons for a minimum of 400$ and getting new sticks.
                    That totally makes sense. I wouldn't reshaft anything either, it's not worth it. I try and talk people out of it when they come through my shop, very few listen, and then choke when I say the total is north of $500 once you account for everything. I once had a woman basically slap her husband across the back of the head when he was arguing that it was worth it to reshaft his irons. I kept telling him it wasn't and showed him that he could get X in trade, or sell them for Y, and then buy a NEW SET for the same price (or within like $150) that were to his specs, fully fitted. His wife finally took him aside and said "you're not listening to him, you can get a new set for the same money, what's so special about these things?"....needless to say, the man did not get new shafts nor new clubs that day because he "had to think about it".

Comment

I have a set with Project 6.0 that Dan also TLT'd this year so think bending should not be an issue as they came out great. I use them when my other set misbehaves (Wilson FG59 w/DG S300 also TLT'd). The reason I use the Wilson's is more for feel of the muscle back than the quality of the DBMs. I now have the spectrum covered from an excellent cavity to an excellent muscle back and both sets are set up the same thanks to Dan.

In comparison to my Wilson's the DBMs are:
                      • Longer heel to toe (but what isn't against the FG59)
                      • Feel/feedback is more muted... can't tell as easily if it's a toe hit
                      • Don't feel I can work the ball as much if I wanted to
                      • Ball flight seemed higher and straighter but can't confirm as really never did a side by side comparison
                      • Distance seems little longer with the DBM but would have to check lofts
                      For a cavity back design the things I like about the club and reason I chose them is:
                      • Hardly any offset at all for a cavity back
                      • Same offset throughout the set i.e. it doesn't get larger (0.100 from 3i to GW)
                      • Simple design and like the muted black look which holds up very well through use
                      • Forgiving and confidence with the longer head

Comment

PX LZ shafts are not cheap if you buy them aftermarket.
                        A set of MP-18 with factory PX LZ & grips will probably be cheaper than Maltby heads +aftermarket PX LZ + aftermarket grips. ( and I'm assuming your sticking with .335 Tapers )

Also consider what is your resale potential of an MP-18 vs a Maltby set once you move on from them
                        Last edited by ARL67; Oct 26, 2017, 09:14 PM.
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                        Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                        Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                        Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                        Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                        Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                        Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                        Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Good points. I hope to be keeping these for quite a few years however.

Id love the mp18 but if i goto dan afterwards theyre gonna be a 2k set. Gotta see what the holidays hold fir us first

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

Also consider what is your resale potential of an MP-18 vs a Maltby set once you move on from them
                            Sad but true as far as resale value. However if the Maltbys are put up by a competent clubmaker they will most probably be a better fit with tighter tolerances than a cut and glue mass production assembled set.

Comment

Good points. I hope to be keeping these for quite a few years however.

Id love the mp18 but if i goto dan afterwards theyre gonna be a 2k set. Gotta see what the holidays hold fir us first
                              The DBMs sell for $46.85 each when purchased individually.

The DBM pack sell for Regular Price: $387.76. with grips and shafts and ferrules.
                              GolfWorks Canada is a fully stocked retail store specializing in golf club components, custom fittings and golf club repairs. We offer the largest selection of golf grips, shafts, heads and accessories in the industry.

Order the pack and tell them to send the set unassembled.Then sell the shafts in the classifieds

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X