Collapse

Golf's Greatest Fallacy: Weight Shift

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf's Greatest Fallacy: Weight Shift

I've had a lot of trouble with this bit of golf advice for many years but have finally learned that two moves are better than one. I know I need to have my weight on my left side in order to hit down on the golf ball. And I know I need to use my lower body to gain real club head speed with more than just my hands and arms. But now I know I don't need to make these two moves at the same time like the term "weight shift" implies.

My first move is to push my weight straight down with my left leg. Then I can use my lower body to swing the club with some real power into the golf ball. Even when I attempt a "little bump to the left" as Rory Mcilroy suggests, my swing is thrown off because my weight has gone forward past my left foot and I have lost a lot of leverage and balance.

Changing this habit can be hard, so sometimes it is easier to "squat" which still pushes my weight straight down toward the ground. After that, I can use my lower body to make a more powerful swing and can whip the club down through the golf ball with both speed and power.

Happy to hear you found a move that works for you, but prescribing any technique as a universal truth or mistake ( aka "greatest fallacy" ) is a bit of hyperbole.

We are all of different physical abilities, proportions, timings, skill, speed, etc, that no set of swing mechanics is comfortable or natural to us all.
    Last edited by ARL67; Jul 1, 2017, 09:38 AM.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
      Happy to hear you found a move that works for you, but prescribing any technique as a universal truth or mistake ( aka "greatest fallacy" ) is a bit of hyperbole.

We are all of different physical abilities, proportions, timings, skill, speed, etc, that no set of swing mechanics is comfortable or natural to us all.
      Personally, I thought I owned my post pretty well. It takes courage to bear your soul to a group of strangers on a message board.

Comment

As a follow up, I think "weight rotation" rather than "weight shift" is a much better term. A "shift" implies a unilateral direction whereas a "rotation" implies a turn around a central axis point (in my case, my left leg or whatever swing point works best for you).

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bogeytrain View Post
            great video

Comment

Click For Free Video: https://topspeedgolf.com/your-free-video-lag/?ytvid=_vFBe5RtBvs HOW TO CLEAR YOUR HIPS IN THE DOWNSWINGAre you struggling to hit sol...

Clay Ballard addresses this perfectly.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vFBe5RtBvs

Clay Ballard addresses this perfectly.
                Thanks bl8d ... love this video ... it describes my main swing fault perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post

Thanks bl8d ... love this video ... it describes my main swing fault perfectly.
                  ^^^ .... great video, thanks for the link !
                  🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                  Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                  Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                  Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                  Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                  Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                  Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Your words, "you must get back onto your left foot..." My words, "you must get back onto your left foot by pushing down on it with the left thigh bone."
                    Last edited by bronc072; Jul 18, 2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Arnold Palmer agrees with you...kind of. In his book 'my game and yours' he talks about weight shift being the worst piece of advice offered up by golf teachers. WORST POSSIBLE. Not because it's wrong; it's not. But because it is unnecessary and confuses people into trying to do something that would happen quite naturally in their own way and at the right time.
                      You are a perfect example of what he's getting at. Ppl hear bump left and they way overdo it and lose their posture or move their lowpoint an ungodly amount and throw everything off.
                      The swing is much simpler than that...when you take the club back weight naturally loads into your right side, then at the top you must get back onto your left foot in order to swing with any power. His line is "if you didn't get back to your left side, you'd just stay at the top of the backswing forever" lol. Love Arnie.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
                        Arnold Palmer agrees with you...kind of. In his book 'my game and yours' he talks about weight shift being the worst piece of advice offered up by golf teachers. WORST POSSIBLE. Not because it's wrong; it's not. But because it is unnecessary and confuses people into trying to do something that would happen quite naturally in their own way and at the right time.
                        You are a perfect example of what he's getting at. Ppl hear bump left and they way overdo it and lose their posture or move their lowpoint an ungodly amount and throw everything off.
                        The swing is much simpler than that...when you take the club back weight naturally loads into your right side, then at the top you must get back onto your left foot in order to swing with any power. His line is "if you didn't get back to your left side, you'd just stay at the top of the backswing forever" lol. Love Arnie.
                        You may have some good thoughts but you are all over the place. Use fewer words and give more thought to each sentence.
                        Last edited by bronc072; Jul 18, 2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

lol
                          paraphrasing off top of head does that. read the book. you may find he's a bit all over the place too

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X