Collapse

Golfing in Phoenix

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post

If you're going to be in the Glendale area, consider playing Verrado at Buckeye or Wickenberg Ranch at Wickenberg. Both outstanding tracks and relatively close from where you will be.
    Noted!

Comment

Been living in north Phoenix now for 4 years and it's taken me that long to get the lay of the land and figure out where the good courses are at reasonable rates. I've become far less of a golf snob as well so whilst i would love to play Troon, the Boulders ( 5 min drive from my house) and We-Ko Pa, unless you're OK forking out at least $150 /round, sometimes much more in high season i'd suggest staying away from the marquee courses, save your money and play some really fun/ decent tracks that won't break the bank. In no particular order...
      Dove Valley Ranch
      500 Club
      Legends Trail
      Verde River Golf and social club ( changes it's name every year but still a solid fun track on the east side of north scottsdale. some of the best views you'll find in the valley)
      Quintero is a bit of a drive but if you can get a good deal online through their website it's worth the trip... tough course though, greens were lightning fast the last time i played. Elevation changes and views are pretty spectacular.

Have fun, November is a great time of year to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimz77 View Post
        Been living in north Phoenix now for 4 years and it's taken me that long to get the lay of the land and figure out where the good courses are at reasonable rates. I've become far less of a golf snob as well so whilst i would love to play Troon, the Boulders ( 5 min drive from my house) and We-Ko Pa, unless you're OK forking out at least $150 /round, sometimes much more in high season i'd suggest staying away from the marquee courses, save your money and play some really fun/ decent tracks that won't break the bank. In no particular order...
        Dove Valley Ranch
        500 Club
        Legends Trail
        Verde River Golf and social club ( changes it's name every year but still a solid fun track on the east side of north scottsdale. some of the best views you'll find in the valley)
        Quintero is a bit of a drive but if you can get a good deal online through their website it's worth the trip... tough course though, greens were lightning fast the last time i played. Elevation changes and views are pretty spectacular.

Are prices that high in November ?

i know in September we are scheduled to play Troon $69, ( $49 for replay) both WE KO PA $80/round, and both TPC courses and lunch for $120 all in and Las Sendas $39

this is actually expensive compred to what we usually pay which is sub $60.

ive been in January and February as well and found value at Poston Butte , Johnson Ranch, Lone Tree, Western Skies
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

All courses will have re-opened from over seeding by the first week of November. By the time you are going, most will no longer be cart path only (we go the last week of October and first week of November and virtually all courses are still cart path only). Others have commented on course recommendations, most of which I agree. In my opinion, there are 5 courses I would rank A+: Quintero, WeKoPa, Boulders, Troon North, and Grayhawk. All are 36 holes, with the exception of Quintero. Unfortunately, in November, rates will be between $142-$180. There may be better rates on Golfnow or similar sites. We played all of the above years ago when the U.S. Economy was struggling and rates were more reasonable. There are several courses we play which I would rank as A, and which are more reasonably priced, such as ASU Karsten, Legacy, Longbow, Raven, Trilogy at Vistancia, Whirlwind, Wildfire, Phoenician, Ocotillo, Dove Valley Ranch, Eagle Mountain, Sundridge Canyon, McDowell Mountain, Las Sendas.
          I agree you should go to a Coyotes game. I go every year. The arena is beautiful and always half empty. Still, it is louder than a full house at the Air Canada Centre. It even has a portable Tim Hortons!

Comment

Dove Valley Ranch
            500 Club
            Legends Trail

All these look like really nice courses for them being inexpensive. I'll make sure to check this thread before I go to book my rounds based on recommendations. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
              All courses will have re-opened from over seeding by the first week of November. By the time you are going, most will no longer be cart path only (we go the last week of October and first week of November and virtually all courses are still cart path only). Others have commented on course recommendations, most of which I agree. In my opinion, there are 5 courses I would rank A+: Quintero, WeKoPa, Boulders, Troon North, and Grayhawk. All are 36 holes, with the exception of Quintero. Unfortunately, in November, rates will be between $142-$180. There may be better rates on Golfnow or similar sites. We played all of the above years ago when the U.S. Economy was struggling and rates were more reasonable. There are several courses we play which I would rank as A, and which are more reasonably priced, such as ASU Karsten, Legacy, Longbow, Raven, Trilogy at Vistancia, Whirlwind, Wildfire, Phoenician, Ocotillo, Dove Valley Ranch, Eagle Mountain, Sundridge Canyon, McDowell Mountain, Las Sendas.
              I agree you should go to a Coyotes game. I go every year. The arena is beautiful and always half empty. Still, it is louder than a full house at the Air Canada Centre. It even has a portable Tim Hortons!
              Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to going to a Coyotes game.

Any arena is louder than the ACC, it's pathetic!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Are prices that high in November ?

i know in September we are scheduled to play Troon $69, ( $49 for replay) both WE KO PA $80/round, and both TPC courses and lunch for $120 all in and Las Sendas $39

this is actually expensive compred to what we usually pay which is sub $60.

ive been in January and February as well and found value at Poston Butte , Johnson Ranch, Lone Tree, Western Skies
                September is still HOT here so i'm keeping an eye on the forecast when planning my rounds. It can still easily get up to 40c. November is perfect so the rates are adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Since you will be in the Glendale area try the Wigwam Golf courses. Great value for your buck and 3 very good courses.
                  Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

For the best BBQ I've had outside of Texas, you can order Little Miss BBQ a few weeks ahead of time or spend an hour in line at 11AM.

I hear they are also opening a second location.
                    Dans le BAG...
                    PING G30 LS 9*, PING G25 14.5*, PING G30 19*
                    PING I25 4-LW
                    Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
                    Scotty Cameron Classics Laguna

Comment

Heading down on the 16th. Playing Ak Chin, Troon North, and Quintero and from the sounds of things on the boards I'm expecting a great time!!! Pumped..

Comment

Originally posted by jaymo91 View Post
                        Heading down on the 16th. Playing Ak Chin, Troon North, and Quintero and from the sounds of things on the boards I'm expecting a great time!!! Pumped..
                        FYI, it's still 43c here in the valley and shouldn't be much different when you get here

Comment

FYI, it's still 43c here in the valley and shouldn't be much different when you get here
                          Nobody goes down before mid October. Change you plans, if you can...!
                          If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post

Nobody goes down before mid October. Change you plans, if you can...!
                            Ill take the crispy desert heat over coming to the office anyday...

Comment

I am also going to the Phoenix area (Scottsdale) in November. Can anyone narrow down the recommendations, for courses near Scottsdale? Nice, but not overly tough, as my wife is a high handicapper. Ideally under $100 per round, but let me know if there are "must play" courses that are a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofStone View Post
                                I am also going to the Phoenix area (Scottsdale) in November. Can anyone narrow down the recommendations, for courses near Scottsdale? Nice, but not overly tough, as my wife is a high handicapper. Ideally under $100 per round, but let me know if there are "must play" courses that are a bit more.
                                Just got back last night from a week in Scottsdale.

i don't know pricing in November but plsyed a course I hadn't previously played that was innexpensive ($39) a real nice course and in better shape than the high end courses we played ( TPC x2, Wekopa x2, Troon) was Dove Valley Ranch.

you might want to look at Kierland, not my favourite and overpriced but not your traditional desert course, lots of forgiveness off the tee.

IMO, must plays are:
                                The Boulders ( in Scottsdale)
                                Quinterro
                                Verrado
                                Wickenberg Ranch
                                Southern Dunes
                                We KO Pa Cholla course

last 5 are not Scottsdale .
                                Last edited by Weirfan; Sep 11, 2017, 10:23 AM.
                                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X