Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings - and questions from an outsider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings - and questions from an outsider

I am originally from Scotland and now living near London (the original one).
    It looks like we will be moving to the western GTA next year.

Wanted to get some insight from locals on the benefits of club membership vs playing public courses and whether there are other options.
    Club membership looks expensive even by South East of England standards - are annual fees always paid up front in advance as opposed to monthly?

I play a lot of competitive golf here in various formats:

competitions at my home club (medal, stableford, matchplay etc)
    scratch opens (normally 36 holes in one day)
    mid am scratch opens (over 35s)
    team matches for my club in a scratch league and knockout competitions.

As I live about 6 km from my home club I also go over a few times a week during the summer to play 6 or 9 holes or just practice my short game - no tee booking necessary for that.

I know there are open tournaments in Ontario but wanted to find out if there are any local inter-club competitions played in teams?
    Also, do most private clubs have competitions/tournaments most weekends during the season?

Very interested to hear from locals on whether my golfing landscape is likely to change significantly or not.

Firstly, welcome to Canada. I hope you will have many opportunities to see more of it than the GTA. It's a great place to live.

As for golf, my recommendation would be to go public for the first year. There are many premium public courses in the GTA, and one of these may satisfy your golf needs. Also, if you play mostly public courses in the first year, it may provide opportunities for you to make inquiries with and about private courses near your new home.

Regarding competition, as a public player you would still have a number of options. Checking some of the forums on TGN would be a good start.

Good luck.
    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Welcome to the Nut Bunch!!
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to join right in.
        Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Welcome to the group
          Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
          23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
          6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
          52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
          Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

OUR NEWSLETTER

Collapse

* indicates required
          Working...
          X