IMPROVING ONE'S LIE:

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPROVING ONE'S LIE:

IMPROVING ONE'S LIE:

A question relating to a post in the TOUR SECTION, is it debateable as cheating in this case?

Originally posted by Bagger Vance View Post
    Here's a good example with Kenny Perry, is this improving your lie? I am not sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsioAyR9Fs
    I'll copy and post in the rules section and see what the RULIES say, thanks for posting the link.
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
    IMPROVING ONE'S LIE:

A question relating to a post in the TOUR SECTION, is it debateable as cheating in this case?

I'll copy and post in the rules section and see what the RULIES say, thanks for posting the link.
    13-2 states that a player must not improve or allow to be improved the lie of his ball by "pressing a club on the ground," and that a player is allowed to ground his club lightly behind the ball. Prior to what Perry did, the ball was barely visible, however, after what he did, the ball was clearly visible.
    IMO, he pressed his club down behind the ball, TWICE, obviously improving the lie of the ball, rather than lightly resting the club on the grass.

Comment

it certainly looks like he is deliberately flattening the grass and is improving his lie incrementally every time he does it. its not like he is addressing the ball at the time either.
      Would he do the exact same moves if his bail was on the fairway? (i.e. is it part of his normal shot routine?)
      It may even be part subconscious on his part, the act of improving the lie. Doesn't make it 'legal' though. IMO
      http://www.galagolfclub.co.uk

Comment

Looks improved after his actions.

Comment

This exactly the same thing that Gary Player was accused of, in the pre-camera age. Supposedly, bad lie in the rough, long way from the green, set up with a driver, set up with a 3 wood, asked his caddie if the shot was a 3 iron- Not yet Mr Player was the response. IIRC(read that in a book somewhere).

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post

13-2 states that a player must not improve or allow to be improved the lie of his ball by "pressing a club on the ground," and that a player is allowed to ground his club lightly behind the ball. Prior to what Perry did, the ball was barely visible, however, after what he did, the ball was clearly visible.
            IMO, he pressed his club down behind the ball, TWICE, obviously improving the lie of the ball, rather than lightly resting the club on the grass.
            Agreed.

Comment

The other version of this I have seen is using their foot. Player approaches ball, places his front foot carefully right behind the ball and bends down to "identify" it. When the ball is in the rough, this can improve your lie. The folks I knew who employed this method were careful to make sure their playing partners were not too close to see what they were doing but we knew.

Comment

I notice Bubba Watson is another player that before he hits he walks up and grounds his club multiple times before he is going to actually pull the trigger. After he sets up to it 2 or 3 times he walks up and hits his ball. He soles the club behind the ball like 6-10 times before actually hitting.

If his lie doesn't improve its not a penalty but I don't see how you can sole the club that many times and not push the rough down

Bubba hits shot out of the rough on the 7th hole of Merion. This is during the 4th round on 6/14. We are posted up on step ladders behind the fence and you ...

Comment

From that video clip., I'm not entirely convinced that he barely touched the grass. My impression was that all the face of his club was visible all the time. Particularly as the ball was sitting well down.
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X