Collapse

Driving range etiquette - when someone else's practice encroaches on yours

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving range etiquette - when someone else's practice encroaches on yours

The driving range can be a brutal place. If you're having a rough time, the entire world can seemingly see every duck hook or chilly dipper. For that reason and that I'm not a coach, I generally don't say anything to people - let them do their thing.

I do get annoyed sometimes at the range, usually when it's not going well. During these times, the couple or group two spots over speaking loudly enough that the entire range can her everything or the friend/parent giving horrible advice really irritate me. I have headphones in those instances so I don't need to ask them to be a bit quieter.

Last night, I came close to saying something. It wasn't about noise or encroaching on my space, this time it was about safety. I was hitting balls off the grass at Joshua creek; each hitting space is separated by a metal frame divider - two vertical posts and two cross beams with no mesh or grating that would stop a ball. The guy to the left of me was not having a good evening - I saw some of his swings and there was a lot going on in terms of mental and mechanical demons. At least half his shots were shanks - flying or bouncing right in front of me. That's fine, we all have bad days; however, he kept moving back - away from the range to the point where he was no longer between the dividers. The shanks were getting very close to the posts and I was worried that one would fly back and hit him, or worse, me. He had clearly taken lessons and takes himself or his game seriously enough that he had a range bag with a few clubs, so he wasn't a beginner that didn't know any better.

I didn't want to say anything as it would likely make him feel worse or embarrassed or he could focus his anger at me and lead to a loud argument. Luckily, I was near the end of my bucket and he switched to his driver, so I didn't need to say anything; had that not happened, I would've needed to say something to him. If he didn't hit me with a ricochet, it would've been someone else, so moving wouldn't have solved anything, just put someone else at risk. So, what would you say and how would you approach it? Keep in mind my goal of not getting killed by a golf ball, not getting into a shouting match, and not embarrassing him.
    In the bag:
    R15 12° PXV 6.0
    SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
    Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
    Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey SM5 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I had a similar situation at Centennial a couple of years ago on the grass range, although my guy appeared to be a novice golfer accompanied by his girlfriend.

When the first ball whizzed past my left ankle, I turned and looked at him. He apologized. When another ball whizzed past my left ankle, I turned to him and said that he should move to the area with the mats and the dividers. He apologized again and said he would be more careful. When the next ball whizzed past my left ankle, I got into his face. I said that if he continued he may hurt someone, including me, and that I would not allow him to hit another shot from the grassed area (because all the spots were being used and others were waiting). He left and went to the mats. Of course, the other golfers within range of his mis-hits provided a measure of moral support. Safety was the only issue.

I always worry about the guys who 'back up' to a spot behind the line of other golfers. It only takes one bad shot to seriously injure another player, and that's a good way to do it.

Comment

The best approach is the self-deprecating approach. You could've made up a story and said...

"Oh, man your game is looking like mine. It's frustrating, isn't it? Why do we event play this 'effin game? Just last week I was hitting in the exact same spot as you and I damn near hit the guy beside me. He told me to move between the dividers .... at least he was nice about it."
      – Greg

Comment

Got hit once in the leg from a shank or some kind of bad hit ball at Joshua creek. Two young teens practicing/playing and both left-handed. They apologized and I ended up with a few weeks of bruise.

Comment

Perhaps say it to the guy in the shop on your way out. They certainly don't want any injuries happening.

Comment

I totally agree, one of my pet peeves when somebody moves behind the marked area - often for a better patch of grass. I have two strategies - first is to give them "the glare". Stage two is to suggest they move in front of the marked areas and we can hit at them... usually get the message. Talking or joking on the range doesnt bother me much. Not a big fan of smoking on the range though.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
              I totally agree, one of my pet peeves when somebody moves behind the marked area - often for a better patch of grass. I have two strategies - first is to give them "the glare". Stage two is to suggest they move in front of the marked areas and we can hit at them... usually get the message. Talking or joking on the range doesnt bother me much. Not a big fan of smoking on the range though.

no kidding!! Kids and I had to move a few times cuz some guy show up started hitting and puffing at same time upwind...truely annoying...
              Only one occasion i had to move spot because some dude showed up with his loud-mouth know-it-all coach...

Comment

I have no issue speaking with someone about safety and maintaining the focus of the conversation there.

Afterall, if you get hit you'll be injured while they walk away scot free and forget about the whole thing the next day.

We as Canadians are just too darn polite, there are instances where we can forget such decorum and the personal safety of others is one I am happy to stand for.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post
                  Perhaps say it to the guy in the shop on your way out. They certainly don't want any injuries happening.
                  I understand your point, but you can't treat a potentially dangerous situation on the driving range the same way as you would treat slow play on the golf course.

Comment

I was hit on the head by a ball that came from the upper deck at the Markham dome. No idea how that happened considering the nets, but it did. I had no problem going upstairs and telling whoever did it to be more careful.

Comment

I almost came to blows with a DB senior at Devils Den. Put his clubs down literally right behind where my son was hitting. I looked at him dumbfounded for what probably felt like longer than it was. When he didn't move, I asked him to. To which he suggested my son and I - who had been there a good 20 minutes already - move. I lost it and threw his bucket out onto the range. Still can't believe it happened to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                        I almost came to blows with a DB senior at Devils Den. Put his clubs down literally right behind where my son was hitting. I looked at him dumbfounded for what probably felt like longer than it was. When he didn't move, I asked him to. To which he suggested my son and I - who had been there a good 20 minutes already - move. I lost it and threw his bucket out onto the range. Still can't believe it happened to this day.
                        That would be one of the best golf videos on youtube.

Comment

I was at Joshua the other day and wondered why the people around me were all either near the front or back of those bars in their hitting area. It was a bit uncomfortable. It could have been that the grass was worn out in their spots but that wasn't the case. It could be worth a mention to John. Mind you other ranges, like Hadfield down the road, don't have those bars.

Comment

Just me and some random guy at the 2 flag pitching green at The Old Pro. When we were done pitching our allotment of 20 balls, mine were pretty much within 10ft of the pin. His were scattered all over the map. He gets to the green before I, heads to my grouping for shag bag pick up leaving his scattering mostly untouched. wtf.

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
                              Just me and some random guy at the 2 flag pitching green at The Old Pro. When we were done pitching our allotment of 20 balls, mine were pretty much within 10ft of the pin. His were scattered all over the map. He gets to the green before I, heads to my grouping for shag bag pick up leaving his scattering mostly untouched. wtf.
                              You should have waited for him to go back and started pitching his balls back to him. He'll start returning fire and we'll let the Golf Gods determine the victor

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X