Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Course shortened for winter #1 handicap hole is the same for ladies and men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course shortened for winter #1 handicap hole is the same for ladies and men

I'm looking for advice on how to handle this situation. Our #1 handicap hole's white (Men's) tee is moved forward at this time of the year, some 40 yards to the forward (gold) ((Ladies)) tee box to protect the tee (no sun at this time of the year etc.) in an agronomy move by the course superintendent. Take in mind that the course is open year round so this happens every winter. We are playing a match play competition through the winter that is mixed (Men and Ladies). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to respond to the perennial complaint from the Ladies that this is unfair?

BTW This year the forward (gold) ((Ladies) #2 handicap hole has been shortened 80 yards while the white (Men's) remains in place. The forward tees were rerated by the BCGA several weeks ago and we do not yet have the results. I suspect the #2 hole gold will be moved to somewhere around # 8 or # 10 in the handicap hierarchy. This will form part of my answer but I am looking for collective wisdom from the Rulies.

The Stoke Indices have nothing to do with the Course Rating. It is entirely a matter for the club committee to decide whether or not to change the indices.

Are all your tees gender specific?
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Tees are not gender specific. For the purposes of our winter match play they are: gold is ladies, white is men. I do know that the club took results from both ladies and men from several years to establish the stroke index . I think it was based on the Club Championships. My issue is one of the white tee on #8 being moved temporarily to the gold tee box (temporarily being while winter rules (I know, I know) are in effect ) and only affecting this one winter long tournament. I also did miswrite the purpose of the course rerating as the BCGA was here to rerate the slope/course rating for the course, not individual holes. In any case, any help would be appreciated. I just don't want to say "that's the way it is".

Comment

Do you use clause 3-5b from the USGA Handicap Manual? I'm guessing Canada uses the same process.

http://www.usga.org/Handicapping/han...ml#!rule-14373

Edit.
        It seems to be the same in Canada

Golf Canada’s Handicap Manual
        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

We did. The stroke difference was 2 from gold (ladies) to white (men) and 6 if both played from the white tees.Women was 72.9 from the gold and white was 76.9. Men was 70.9 from white. One suggestion was to add a handicap stroke for the ladies when both play from the same tee on the #1 handicap hole. My position is that the course rating is done over 18 holes not just 1. We were not going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
            My position is that the course rating is done over 18 holes not just 1. We were not going to do that.
            Quite right.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Just play as normal and don't worry about it - the results of the matches will likely be the same anyway. Imo, you're over-thinking it.

Comment

Rulie you are absolutely spot on. I am overthinking it. I'm new to the position (never volunteer) and was responding to criticism from last years matches as well as things that are beyond my control (greenskeeping and winter). Thanks to you and aaagc for sage advice.

Comment

TGN Spotlight

Collapse

• TrGo
                  Free Bucket of Balls plus 35% off from iRange Toronto
                  TrGo
                  iRange Toronto has a special offer for TGN members. Bring the attached coupon with you and receive a free bucket of balls plus receive 35% off of the range rates for additional balls.

Oct 7, 2017, 08:03 AM
                • TrGo
                  TGN To-Do List
                  TrGo
                  Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                  Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                X