Collapse

Playing Through in North America

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing Through in North America

I no longer see courses note on the card to wave up players on par 3's. Waving up to play does not mean that you are going to let them play through since especially on a weekend there is no where for them to go. But If everyone waved the group behind to tee off once all of your group is on the green you can putt out while the group behind makes there way to the green and help eliminate some of the backups. 3rd hole at Lakeridge is a great example of a bad design adding to delays (one of many reasons i will not play there any more) but waving the group behind to play up would help.

This is something we could all do to help move play along and courses should add it back on their scorecards to remind players that they can help themselves.
    Canada
    Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
    Titleist TS2 16.5*
    Taylormade Rescue 22*
    4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
    52* Clevland RTX 4.0
    56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
    Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
    Cobra F6
    R7 15*
    Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
    Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
    Vokey 56* 60*
    Pyramid 34 “

Comment

Another slow play factor is "Who are the marshalls?". Are they just working for free rounds of golf? Or are they getting paid for it? I found marshalls that actually get paid (eg. Bushwood or Parkview), they are more willing to confront the slow moving groups. Others aren't so willing unless the slow players are either seniors or women. I guess nobody wants to get killed....

Comment

Re: proper use of "foursomes"

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
        So of course a foursome plays fast --- one partner (say, Al) tees off; his partner (say, Bob) waits up the fairway, and plays before Al even arrives at the ball, and so on.
        I have never heard of a foursome playing in this manner (much less actually seen it done), although it does make some sense.
        I suppose the only problem would be if Al goes OB off the tee and Bob is 250 yards away....

Comment

Many courses in Europe are older than average courses here and are built strictly for walking, not carts. As a result many Tee decks are closer to green from the previous hole and a quicker commute to the next hole. In addition they also play "ready golf" far more often. The biggest issue however is probably habit. In Europe (or Scotland in particular) it is far more likely to play the same course very often.This results in a much quicker round as your not reading greens as much or searching for the right club to use from this yardage as you would if your playing a new course every week.

As for letting people through, I think its courtesy to let twosomes through foursomes even when being held up. The group in front of you may be looking back thinking they aren't letting a foursome through as they won't go any faster (IMO they should), they may however let a 2 ball pass.

In conclusion there is no reason to be out there longer than 4.5 hours regarless.

Comment

I don't like holding people up--my rounds run anywhere from 3 to 4 hours depending on if it's 2 people or more and what course.

But what exactly is the rush to get back to wives, work, and worries? You're in the beautiful outdoors, enjoying sport, and relaxing. Take a chill pill. Strike up a conversation. Maybe stop to notice the beautiful scenes that have been carefully sculpted around you.

I know I mostly lurk, but sometimes reading this board or hanging out in some of the clubhouses around my corner of the world, I feel like I'm the only person left who plays golf for fun.

Comment

My recent experience in Atlanta (Smoke Rise Country Club, I recommend it):

I am a single and am matched up with a threesome. There is nobody ahead of us. On the second hole we are caught by a twosome. My playing partners are either blissfully unaware or don't care that there is a twosome behind us.

We play the entire round with the twosome waiting on us at every hole with at least 2 holes open ahead of us.
              Since I joined this threesome I didn't feel comfortable suggesting to them that we let the twosome go through.
              I also felt like the club messed up by putting me with the threesome rather than holding me back one tee time and putting me with the twosome to make two threesomes.

The bottom line: I didn't enjoy my round because I felt pressured and in the wrong, while frustrated with my groups narcissism. The twosome behind us must have been angry by the lack of etiquette .
              Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

Hi; I can understand how you felt. At the same time, I'll note that those two guys could have asked if they could play through.

Comment

We have spent the winter in Arizona(lucky us) and played 53 rounds on some very nice courses. One thing we found was that when a group had a tee time they stayed in that order no matter how far behind they got. We play in the London, ON area in the summer and are constantly invited to play though. Wonder why?
                  Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Originally posted by mtshapcott View Post
                    My recent experience in Atlanta (Smoke Rise Country Club, I recommend it):

I am a single and am matched up with a threesome. There is nobody ahead of us. On the second hole we are caught by a twosome. My playing partners are either blissfully unaware or don't care that there is a twosome behind us.

We play the entire round with the twosome waiting on us at every hole with at least 2 holes open ahead of us.
                    Since I joined this threesome I didn't feel comfortable suggesting to them that we let the twosome go through.
                    I also felt like the club messed up by putting me with the threesome rather than holding me back one tee time and putting me with the twosome to make two threesomes.

The bottom line: I didn't enjoy my round because I felt pressured and in the wrong, while frustrated with my groups narcissism. The twosome behind us must have been angry by the lack of etiquette .
                    You were in the wrong, just as much as the rest of your group, if not more. It now looks like you are hoping to find sympathy to ease your guilt. Next time speak up, or better yet, move on.

Comment

Originally posted by rpangman View Post
                      We have spent the winter in Arizona(lucky us) and played 53 rounds on some very nice courses. One thing we found was that when a group had a tee time they stayed in that order no matter how far behind they got. We play in the London, ON area in the summer and are constantly invited to play though. Wonder why?
                      Very poor etiquette (or complete lack of).
                      Entitlement - they bought their spot on the course and are entitled to retain it, not prepared to relinquish it.
                      Don Cherry - can't teach fast and can't fix stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleWalking View Post
                        I have done that (3 hrs) once at good old Don Valley last spring. It was a rain/cloudy/flurries day and the course was so empty that I was let out as a single! I blew through the front 9 in about 1 hr. I did not run into anybody until #14 which I decided to join up with them. I was surprised about the speed as well.
                        Years ago, I went out with my father for a quick 9 in the evening, the course was empty, we were in his power cart and did 18 in 2 hours 15 mins. both of us were surprised at how fast we could play a round without waiting for anyone.
                        Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
                        3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
                        7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
                        Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
                        Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
                        Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

Originally posted by rpangman View Post
                          Canadians are polite.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                          TM SLDR 10.5*
                          TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                          TM Rescue 22*
                          4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                          Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                          Ping Ketch
                          Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
                            You were in the wrong, just as much as the rest of your group, if not more. It now looks like you are hoping to find sympathy to ease your guilt. Next time speak up, or better yet, move on.
                            The title of this thread is playing through in North America. I provided a first person example and some possible explanations for why groups do not allow others to play through. I chalked it up to narcissism on behalf of my partners but perhaps that was wrong and it's not stupidity or bad etiquette either. On my side it was a mixture of intimidation, wanting to fit in with 3 strangers, and a small part frustration with the club for creating the situation.

There may be a cultural difference betweenAmericans and Canadians as it pertains to this topic. I amCanadian and it bothered me. The threeAmericans were Not bothered by the situation, nor did the two ( I assumeAmericans) behind us seem bothered. I simply assumed they were frustrated by our (my) lack of etiquette. It is a small sample size but perhaps others have seen the same thing. Already, rpangman has identified a similar experience in Arizona.
                            Last edited by mtshapcott; Mar 5, 2017, 09:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
                            Keeping Score: Golf Courses 1710, Me 1

Comment

^ I think you should have said something to your group BUT imo it was on them (assuming they are regular playing partners) to make the offer for the group to play through. Being added to a threesome when, as you mentioned, you should have been held back one tee time to be added to the twosome is a big issue and that lands on the course. I don't think a group should be required to ask to play through.
                              I will add I have seen the same actions on courses here in Ontario, although the further away from the city you will obviously find better manners on public courses. For example the times I have played Oliver's Nest near Lindsay I was offered to play through maybe 6-8 groups in 2 rounds on a weekend. One group was the same foursome on both days. I was let out as a single and that didn't bother any of the groups I was let through. They simply respected the other players on the course and didn't want to hold up anyone! On the other end of the stick at Brookfield, near Cambridge I have had to crawl up groups buttts for 5 or so holes to get offered to play through. Sadly if I hadn't pushed it they would have never let me through.
                              I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Originally posted by bbgobie View Post
                                With regards to speed, I think most of the time I've encountered slow groups and slow pace of play, its not because they are triple reading greens and spending an hour looking for a ball.

Its because they greatly over estimate their ability to strike a ball far! Last year was my first year playing golf, I have an ok swing and ok hand eye co-ordination. In general I was driving 240, with some roll and wind my best drives would roll out to 265. On a par 5, when the group in front finishes their 2nd shot, I know I can pretty much go. Especially when the fairway sand trap is 275 and they've passed out. However I've seen many groups think they can drive 300+ and wait for the group in front to finish hitting their 3rd shot! Than I watch them all hit baby drives that roll out to 200... Just looking at them swing there is no way these guys can hit 250, let along 300...

And yes, I understand the concept of making sure you can't hit the group in front. It's just that when you get 2 groups together that think they can bomb it off the tee, that's when I find it gets slow, because they're essentially waiting for the group in front to take an extra shot, and because these are the same ppl that can hardly hit, our group has to wait for them to take an extra shot, because there's always a guy that duffs it 100 yards, and his 3 shot is from around 250 out!
                                I agree with Beachman
                                especially up here in Barrie, its brutal ,it takes the fun away and you loose any rhythm you may have
                                it really sux

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X