Personal Record You'd Like to Forget

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personal Record You'd Like to Forget

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
    Jeez...How did the starter/your group not tell you to sit that hole out or drop it in the fairway after the 3rd OB? Or was this done over several rounds, as in you played there 9 times and only hit the playing area once?
    Oh, that was over 9 rounds. A first ball, and a provisional then drop somewhere. Not one of those balls was ever found, which just adds to an already expensive round.

8 of those rounds were with TGN and people I'd just met. Awkward explaining how "I usually play by all the rules, but...".
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
      3 in a row into the drink on a short par 3 at Hamilton G&C. I cannot recall the number of the hole, nor which 9 - I have cleared the cache!
      Did the same a few years ago on #13 par 3 at Oakridge for a 10 in what would have otherwise been a PB round by quite a lot. 39 front, 52 back for a 91.

Comment

Playing in a non champ flight at club championship years ago at Scarboro. The 7th hole is a tricky little short par 4 with a devilish raised green with a two tiers and a false front. Greens slicked up more than usual, owing to the championship. Think this was the second round, but I have tried to forget!

On the green in regulation, on the back raised section, pin tucked near the front on the lower section. A tricky place to be, for sure.

I made a 9. I finished second in the flight that year, just two back of the leader. A hole I wish I could have replayed!

How does one make a 9? After putting the ball off the front of the green and down the hill, it took me 3 to get it back on the green. Nowhere near the hole of course, so took 3 putts. I remember my competitor marking my score in some disbelief as we counted all these miscues to make sure the number was right.

The walk from 7 to 8 is a reasonable length and gave me time to mutter, swear, cry....you know, all the usual reactions a mature adult has to such misfortune.

Comment

I once had to use 18 balls in a single round.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
            Oh, that was over 9 rounds. A first ball, and a provisional then drop somewhere. Not one of those balls was ever found, which just adds to an already expensive round.

8 of those rounds were with TGN and people I'd just met. Awkward explaining how "I usually play by all the rules, but...".
            Okay that makes more sense. However, I would be very impressed with your resolve if you managed to hit 19 balls off the first tee (ala Tin Cup) and just not get angry...more impressive would be your playing partners/the starter or shop letting it happen without a suggestion of lessons...

Comment

Long time ago, close to 30yrs, as a teen I did nothing but play golf and got pretty handy. I was playing in regional tournaments for lads my age. One in particular casts a nasty shadow over my 'career'.

The tournament was 54 holes stroke play. First two rounds I carded 69 and 70 to be one shot behind Ireland's most successful golfer ever. So Sunday rolls around and a bunch of my family members came out to watch me play. I had an 86. I made par on the first two holes, steady as she goes. The third was a long par 5, I hit two belters to about 40yds short of the elevated/plateau green. Chipping was my forte so I had a good shot at a bird. I hit the pitch exactly how I wanted but it slipped off the back of the green and down a slope. Tough shot back up, I hit it too short and it came back to where I hit it from. I repeated the error and ended up with an 8.

It hit me for six. I scuffed the drive on the next hole and got very mad with myself. Couldn't snap out of it for the rest of the round.

To this day I feel embarrassed about it. I'd like to forget it but it's like it happened a week ago.

Anyone even read that?

Comment

When I was a young man many years ago with a handicap of 3.4 I was in a tournament. One frist hole (a very short par 4) I drove the green, had a short putt, -2.
                Second hole 340 yds down hill,again drive the green, long putt (approx 35-40ft) drained it(lucky putt) -4
                Third hole par 4, on in 2 very close to the pin (approx 3ft) drianed it, -5 after three holes WOW what a way to start.
                Pared next hole.

THEN: dogleg left around lake, approx 390 yards around. Shortcut over the lake 310 in the air, (I'm young & dumb thinking if I fly over the lake on the green in one make the putt -7, no one will have a chance of catching me on my flight).

Tee up, my Father is caddie for me says "what are you doing you are -5". I go for it "SPLASH DOWN" tee up again, Dad says take your drop at the drop zone up there pointing to the white painted circle about 100 yds away. I hit SPLASH DOWN. Tee up again, Dad says "What are you doing". Hit SPLASH DOWN. Tee again Dad says "are you a idiot" hit SPLASH DOWN. Tee up again Dad says to others in the group "my son thinks he is superman and just put himself out of the tournament" I reply "I can reach it" hit did it on the frount edge of the green, 3 putted for a 12, now I'm at +3.

The rest of the day was just bad, another 12 on the last hole finished with a final score of 112.
                +30

Of course back at the clubhouse Dad asks me infront of my uncle and several others "so superman tell me how you can hit a ball over the lake" as he grinned at me, he was trying to teach me a lesson in course management.

This is the day I never forgot, probably never will.
                Last edited by miles; Apr 19, 2017, 08:23 PM.
                Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
                3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
                7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
                Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
                Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
                Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

This is so bad , I never even got to play but one shot. Names will not be used to protect the innocent. Many years ago while working at a club some members came in on a rainy evening to play 9 and asked if I would play a few with them. Grabbed my irons and then I grabbed a driver I liked from the shop to "try". As I teed off , I lost hold of the club and it went up to the top of a tree next to the tee block !!. The members of course were laughing hysterically, but me not so much!!, Forget about playing, I had to get that club!!, how would i explain one of our drivers are up a tree??!. With the assistance of a cart boy who went up the tree, we got the club back. Never "tried" that club again.

Comment

I usually pick up before anything horrific happens, but I did go through a couple of months in 2014 with a serious case of the hosels where I could lose a dozen a round. Not a great time.

Comment

I've had a few in my 'career', but one stands out. Way back when I was 18 I was in the final of the junior championships, 70th hole tied for the lead. The 16th was a 625 yard par 5 and after a good drive along the left side of the fairway, I hit a 3 wood to the right, expecting my natural draw....didn't happen and the ball went o.b. Club tossed, picks up club. Rinse repeat. Rinse repeat. I ended up with a 12. My buddy who I had been tied with played it safe, took a 7 and ended up beating me by 5.
                      It wasn't so much the 3 balls that went o.b. that caused the stir, rather it was the club tossing that was embarrassing.
                      My reputation at the club was cemented as a hot head so much that the next year I was in the final of the men's club championship (I finished runner up there), very few people came out to watch. It took me quite awhile to over come that outburst.
                      Last edited by 4wedges; Apr 21, 2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Perfect for this thread.

View the comic strip for B.C. by cartoonist Mastroianni and Hart created April 21, 2017 available on GoComics.com

Comment

Lights were shining on me at wyndance once. Ironically driver was working but could not hit a single iron.

DNF,6,4,DNF,5,6,6,DNF,DNF

Walked off after 9 as it got way too embarrassing holding up the whole group.

100% humiliated I have no idea what happened. What a waste of a day should have went elsewhere I never play it all that well but this was just insane I never took so many DNF in my life.
                          Last edited by chrish8; Apr 24, 2017, 02:01 AM.
                          In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                          Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                          Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                          Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                          Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                          Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                          Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                          --------
                          Home Course - Clublink

Comment

#4 at Muskoka Bay, short par 4 with an elevated green and false front. Paired up with another twosome, I decided to have a go at the green and pulled it into the greenside bunker. Everyone else in the group was on the green when we pulled the carts up - I run across, down into the massive bunker and hit my shot a few feet over the green - run back up after raking. Get to my ball while everyone is waiting and proceed to double chip it, straight left - off a sprinkler head and about 40 yds down the false front. Run down the hill - stub a chip, then finally knock it on. Guess who's away?

Felt like I was stuck in my own end on a penalty kill.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X