Be Careful On The Cart Paths

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Careful On The Cart Paths

Originally posted by Benz View Post
    Was there a fatality due to a cart accident a few years ago at Caledon #14 (?).
    Yes. 2015.

That's one steep cart path.

Just one more reason to walk when you can...

@rgk5: Ouch. That had to hurt.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
      Was there a fatality due to a cart accident a few years ago at Caledon #14 (?).
      That was the second fatality on that hole. The first prompted them to pave the path

I've felt uneasy at lionhead legends a couple times.
      TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
      TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
      TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
      Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
      Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
      100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Legends Is abit scary. The first hole is that path down still closed because of that death.

And that person I know who was airlifted. Lawsuit found out that stakes and signs were removed during cutting and not replaced for 2 days. One wrong turn
        Last edited by PCS1; May 19, 2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Boy! What some people will do to "show off" their butt

But seriously, glad you're okay! And you must have been pretty close to the water, so very fortunate you didn't get wet as well !

Comment

There is also a hole on the 'new' 9 at Mill Run that has a very steep descent. I always feel uncomfortable watching carts go down it, particularly when the path is wet/damp. Unfortunately that 9 is almost an impossible walk. Another Miller design fiasco.

Comment

Originally posted by WeekendDuff View Post
              Ouch! Glad you're okay. Those cart paths at Mystic are tricky and the carts handle like an old Porsche 911 - fishtail like crazy if you brake while cornering. I don't think they have any front brakes. Back in April somebody tossed their cart into the bush on #10 at the second ravine.
              I don't think many carts have front brakes. That's why you see some twits constantly locking up the brakes on pavement and gravel - stomping on the brakes will lock the rear wheels every time.

While at Mystic on Wednesday, I didn't see any issues, but it was dry. In wet conditions I'm sure it's a different story. The only way to handle those hills in the wet is to creep down - once you have any speed, there's no chance of safely slowing down the cart.

At Mystic, I'm surprised they don't have more incidents with carts. There are plenty of downhill tight turns with perilous drop offs. Other than 4, there's 9, 17, and 18.

Other notable cart hazard holes:
              Lakeridge on the back nine - 14 - has a very scary downhill path on the back nine that makes me cringe when it's dry.
              Osprey - Hoot - 5 - the hole is tough enough, the cart path must be scary when it's wet.
              In the bag:
              R15 12° PXV 6.0
              SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
              Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
              Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
              Vokey SM5 54, 58
              Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

years ago, at Tremblant - Diable, downhill par 5 on the back, buddies rolled a cart on what could be considered a twisty, wet cart path. Roof was crushed, they were ok. Cart was 2 weeks old. There may or may not have been alcohol involved.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

DATASS lol kidding aside, get well soon! It looked like you were paddled from some hazing incident yikes!
                  Cobra King F7
                  Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                  Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                  Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                  Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                  Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

[QUOTE=pszwed;1663489]Legends Is abit scary. The first hole is that path down still closed because of that death.

And that person I know who was airlifted. Lawsuit found out that stakes and signs were removed during cutting and not replaced for 2 days. One wrong turn and...

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                      There is also a hole on the 'new' 9 at Mill Run that has a very steep descent. I always feel uncomfortable watching carts go down it, particularly when the path is wet/damp. Unfortunately that 9 is almost an impossible walk. Another Miller design fiasco.
                      If your talking the grind, I think that is the only reason I play Mill Run... as far as the walking goes, yes pretty tough to do, but that 9 was added later and the gaps were the only way to fit it in.

Years ago at lakeridge 14th hole I had a cart and was making my way to the path going down towards the river...I guess I thought I could cross to the path along the top of the hill. It must have been wet and rainy...as I hit the brakes to slow down near the path..it was like hitting ice..the cart sped up and skidded down the hill doing 360's. I held on for dear life waiting to flip...but it stopped just short of the river. I am pretty sure I did not shoot par on that hole
                      Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
                        If your talking the grind, I think that is the only reason I play Mill Run... as far as the walking goes, yes pretty tough to do, but that 9 was added later and the gaps were the only way to fit it in.
                        Y
                        Actually that 9 (Grind) was added because the members 'cheaped out' and unfortunately did not add the 18 that had already been planned and for which they had paid for a preliminary design, choosing instead to build a less expensive 9 holes. Mill Run has lots of land and could still add another 9, if they wanted to spend the money. Unfortunately the 9 hole lay-out that they selected means that the original design for an additional 18 holes can no longer be used.

The Grist and Wheel which are a Muyleart design were a lovely 18 to walk.

The Grind is a Miller design. Can anyone confirm any course that Miller has designed that is a 'nice' walk?
                        Last edited by Arthur Dailey; May 19, 2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Since this thread seems to have digressed into a discussion of other dangerous cart path experiences, I will add Hockley Valley to the list. There are some steep cart paths on that course, and with a bit of rain it can get dicey.

With a downpour, it becomes a veritable death trap. A few years back, I was playing with a buddy on an Underpar deal. We finished our first round with great weather, and headed out for our second round. As we neared the turn, some nasty storm clouds rolled in. We decided to wait it out along the (newish?) path to the tenth tee (extremely elevated par 3). After about half an hour of downpour, we gave up and started heading back to the clubhouse (but were about as far away as you can be)...

On the way down the steep hill from the tenth tee to the tenth green, my buddy (who was driving the cart) got skittish and hit the brakes, the worst thing that you can do on a wet path. The cart fishtailed, and went veering out of control. There were thick trees on both sides, and I saw my life flash before my eyes. Thankfully, there is a guardrail installed along the sides of part of the path, and instead of careening into the woods, we rode that guardrail for a solid 20 metres or so.

I have seen carts (totalled) at the bottom of that hill a couple of times.

Moral of the story seems to be: go easy on the brakes when riding down a slippery hill. Locking them up will only result in fishtailing/spinning out of control.

Comment

Reminded me the carts at Cherry Down have brakes that only work on an uphill climb lol. When going down hill esp the elevated tee one on the front nine, needs to look ahead, creep down, make sure brakes not locked. Even then the cart "accelerates" and you need total clearance in FRONT of you and also plan your bail out route....

Even carts with good brakes are just no match for wet grass downhill. Cant defy physics...

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                              I'll be at the Doc's today at 4:40.
                              So, all ok ?

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post
                                I don't think many carts have front brakes. That's why you see some twits constantly locking up the brakes on pavement and gravel - stomping on the brakes will lock the rear wheels every time.

While at Mystic on Wednesday, I didn't see any issues, but it was dry. In wet conditions I'm sure it's a different story. The only way to handle those hills in the wet is to creep down - once you have any speed, there's no chance of safely slowing down the cart.

At Mystic, I'm surprised they don't have more incidents with carts. There are plenty of downhill tight turns with perilous drop offs. Other than 4, there's 9, 17, and 18.

Other notable cart hazard holes:
                                Lakeridge on the back nine - 14 - has a very scary downhill path on the back nine that makes me cringe when it's dry.
                                Osprey - Hoot - 5 - the hole is tough enough, the cart path must be scary when it's wet.
                                There have been five carts leave the path this year into ravines.
                                In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                                Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                                TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                                TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                                PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                                TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                                Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                                TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X