Collapse

Range Finders & obsession with a #.....

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
    I believe that my Golfshot app has helped lower my score and allows me to play faster. I quickly glance at it as I arrive at my ball, usually only noting the centre of the green distance, and select my club. I have about a ten yard gap between clubs so it doesn't take me long to look at the pin position or green (all carry, elevated green, etc) and hit away.
    I 100% agree. I use it as well and without it i would have more lost balls and longer putts.

Having played with the OP (only 1 round mind you) i can understand where he is coming from, even if I feel this is just another of a long list of complain threads. Consistent striking is required for range finders or apps to really do anything.

what I find strange is how anyone could prefer to not know their distances when there is an opportunity to do so.
    Callaway Blayne Standbag:
    TaylorMade M1 9.5*
    TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 3w 15*
    TaylorMade R15 5w 19*
    TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 TP 3 Hybrid
    Taykormade Speesburner 5 Hybrid
    5-AW TaylorMade RocketBladez
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 54* and 58*
    Scott Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim
    Srixion Z-Star XV

Comment

Originally posted by Kessly Snipes View Post

what I find strange is how anyone could prefer to not know their distances when there is an opportunity to do so.
      Agree. My GPS helps take out a lot of the second guessing on club selection. Great for lay ups if you don't want to hit into a hazard, or take one club up or down to adjust for wind, etc. As far as exactitude goes, a measure from a GPS is one thing, how far I hit a particular club in any given stroke is the bigger variable by a significant margin.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by LongLefty View Post
        Re: Range Finders & obsession with a #.....

Like many have said it's all a confidence thing. Outside 75 yards I quick scope the pin, grab a club and swing. Being a 1 index what I do seems to be working..
        So were you a 10+ before you had a rangefinder ? lol

Comment

A rangefinder definitely lowers your handicap if you are a consistent ball striker at first...aka you learn your distances better and play smarter because of it but maybe max going from like a 10 to a 9, and that is also if you were horrible at judging distance. Around my home course I really don't need it but I could see an argument being made that a rangefinder could definitely lower your handicap if you are a golf now player etc, always playing new courses etc because I know on a new course a rangefinder definitely saves me a couple strokes and not necessarily by knowing the pin yardage, more of the yardage to trees etc.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Comment

I have used a number of GPS apps (including golf shot) but found that it always took too long to "lock in" the yardage. My laser is in my hand as I get to my ball, takes maybe 2 seconds to lock on and I know the yardage. I think it makes me play faster.

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post

So were you a 10+ before you had a rangefinder ? lol
              About a 7 or 8.

Comment

Originally posted by gotogolf View Post
                Let's say I hit my irons to 5 yards, there are still shots I fly 10 yards longer or balloon 10 yards shorter. Last time at GT I hit a # of 6I's, many were within 5 yards, but some shorter and a few I flushed 15 yards further. I hit to my average and hope that is where the hole is.
                Thanks for telling us about how awful of a ball striker you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                  Re: Range Finders & obsession with a #.....

I use a rangefinder because I have terrible depth perception. Lots of guys I golf with can stand there and call it out to within 2 yards of what my laser gives me but I have no idea.
                  When I was in my late 20's and early 30's and played 100 plus rounds I could very accurately predict yardages but still paced off almost every shot to the closest marker, partly routine , partly to be sure. my distance control was impeccable at the time so it made a difference.

fast forward 30 years and I am like you , play infrequently , failing eyesight and poorer depth perception and I am not as precise with guessing yardages, in some cases I cant tell where the flag is on the green or what trouble ( slopes etc) are there so use my laser as binoculars.

My distance control is still very good when I know the yardage although my consistency /accuracy isn't the same as it was then.

I laser every shot that is more than 30 yards ( a 1/2 60*) , I laser what it is to carry a front bunker or to a fairway bunker so as to choose the correct club to avoid the trouble.

Thursday at Wyndance the sprinkler was saying 290 or something for my second shot into 1, I lasersed the front pin and it was 274 , so I hit 3 wood and hit it 268 ( it's a downhill hole) leaving an eagle putt....otherwise I would have definitely laid up at 290+.

I take less time than most players to laser and hit my shot. quite Often will laser distances for playing partners as well as we are walking and or waiting to hit. Laser is always out and ready, takes 2 seconds
                  Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 13, 2017, 02:38 PM.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by LongLefty View Post

Thanks for telling us about how awful of a ball striker you are.
                    ROTF , i can see why he doesn't use one .....he would be better served to invest in lessons ( and personality training) versus a range finder

Comment

Originally posted by gotogolf

But again weirfan you must be scratch being so precise and dialed in. You a -2 or -3? as you are just so damn good at everything. I take it you have every club to the exact yard? What happened hitting your 3W only planned 268 when you measured it 274????
                      What is a -2 or -3 handicap?

Youre missing the point in regards to his 268 vs 274. Had he gone by the sprinkler head of 290 he wouldn't have attempted the shot. Lasering it and seeing it was actually 274 gave him the green light to go for it.

Otherwise he he would have laid up, taken another 90-120 seconds for another shot from the fairway and probably irked someone like you behind him who wants to play faster --- as opposed to being on the green in two.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post

Youre missing the point in regards to his 268 vs 274. Had he gone by the sprinkler head of 290 he wouldn't have attempted the shot. Lasering it and seeing it was actually 274 gave him the green light to go for it.

Otherwise he he would have laid up, taken another 90-120 seconds for another shot from the fairway and probably irked someone like you behind him who wants to play faster --- as opposed to being on the green in two.
                        thank you, and correct you are. I assess actual yrdage , elevation, wind and my lie when determining what the distance the shot is likely playing and what club to hit. I don't think he even gets that the best PGA tour pros in the world don't hit their 3 wood to an exact yardage of better than 10 or so yards and they need to make the correct swing and contact to be repeatable and even they don't do that every time. Then again Anthony doesn't get most things when it comes to discussing golf around here.
                        Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 13, 2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Actually you miss the idea of sarcasm or to spur discussion. .
                          Actually you missed my last warning. It's time for this incarnation to leave. The next one won't be tolerate.
                          In The Ogio
                          Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
                          Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
                          Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
                          Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
                          Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
                          Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
                          MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

BTW cdntac a -2-3 HC is someone who is better then a scratch golfer (Pros I think are about -7-8).
                            A pro is not going to have a -7 or -8 handicap.

Comment

gives us a hint about a PGA pro's handicap index / factor.

Comment

Originally posted by WestendStew View Post

Lowered my handicap? Perhaps, but since I'm a new golfer occasionally taking lessons, still working on my swing it's difficult to attribute any one change to any given improvement.

What I will say, however; there are a lot of people out there with absolutely no comprehension of their actual distances. A co-worker of mine has been playing for 25 ish years and I'm convinced he has no idea how many actual yards he can hit any of his clubs. When we've played, several times he's asked me for front/middle/back, I've given it to him and he usually comes up way short. So he told me he doesn't want distances anymore.

Seems he over estimates the distance to the pin in any given situation, pulls the club he thinks goes that distance and lands it. He's gotten good enough at compensating for the lack of actual distances it just works for him.

But he still thinks his 6 iron goes 160 when in reality it's more like 145. But it's ok, because when he's just inside 150 he thinks he's 160 out, pulls the 6 and sticks the green. Who am I to argue?
                                And I think this just about sums everything up about why rangefinders are important, and can help people be more knowledgeable about their own games. This also happens a lot more than people think and also gives me an insight into why people come in saying they hit their 7i 150-160 when they carry it like 130-135. They just have no idea how far they are actually hitting their club, partially due to inaccurate yardage stakes, but also because a lot of people are really bad at estimating yardage by eye.

Anecdotal evidence, but anyways, I have had a laser for probably around 9 years now. I used to shoot well into the 90s on bad rounds, mostly due to bad club choices on top of poor swings. If I paced off a yardage at the local muni's I play at, chances are I could be off by 1/2-3/4 of a club. Compound that with a poor strike (slightly thin/heavy/outside of the middle) and this is going to make the ball fly an extra 3-4 yards longer or shorter due to launch and spin variances. Suddenly that perfect 150 flag becomes paced off to be 157, and then I hit it a bit thin, and now I'm flying it 160 + a bit of roll out. Now I've got myself a 30+ foot putt when instead of pulling 7i I would have pulled 8i and maybe had a 15-20 footer if I mishit it. This drastically boosts my 3 putt chances, as it would anyone's.

Now with a range finder (and a combination of knowing my carry yardage to +/- 2y, and slightly better mechanics) I find that when I miss a green it is just due to my path rather than distance. When I mishit a green I am usually still approximately pin high on 80% of my shots. Now my blow-up rounds are mid 80s. Is that all the rangefinder's help? Probably not. But I would like to think getting it closer to the hole more often, combined with having shorter chips/pitches that are also usually easier is helping drop my scores. Again, anecdotal, but I played last week and on #2 I lasered 141. I pulled my 9i and stuck it to about 15 feet behind the pin (typically this is my 145 club). Next hole, lasered 146, stuck it to 3 feet and drained the birdie. Following hole, lasered 190, pulled out my 5i, missed the green mind you, but I was about 3 yards short of the pin. A few holes later, lasered it to 168 down hill, hit 7i (165 carry), just missed the green but was perfectly pin high.

Lasers help, lessons help the most, but knowing your yardage is absolutely key.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X