Collapse

Attn DOG LOVERS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn DOG LOVERS

Hi guys. A question for the dog lovers out there. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but here goes
    we currently have a 2 yr old male chihuahua/corgi mix. Approx 10 pounds and neutered We are looking at adopting another dog. She is 11 months, lab mix currently in a foster home. She is spayed and approx 30 lbs.

so my question is for anyone with multiple dogs. How do you handle the feeding. Our dog buddy has small kibble and gets 1/2 cup or so per day but he is a grazer. He never eats all his food at once

with the larger dog, we would put her food in the basement where buddy can't go. ( can't get down those set of stairs ) so that keeps him out of her food. But what can I do about keeping her out of his food located on the main floor.

I understand and we can train her etc but just curious of the food logistics others might be having succes with.
    What's In The Bag
    Taylormade m1 9.5
    Taylormade m1 15
    Srixon 545 4- pw
    Cleveland rtx 2.0 CB 50,56,60
    Srixon v star
    Best round = 71

We have 3 dogs , 10 pound dachshund , 40 lb standard schnauzer and 35 lb 5 month old golden retriever and it is a total feeding frenzy. The schnauzer I inherited after my father died he was free eater however he learned to adapt real quick once he came and lived with us as the other dogs would eat what he left . We have set up three different areas for their food bowls however they usually never leave a scrap of food now. They will learn quickly once they have competition.

Comment

I have two dogs, both large. I set their bowls down at either end of the kitchen. They know which is their bowl and go straight to it.

Comment

No need to fret, they will adapt.

We have two, a small and a medium labdadoodle. On their own, they will graze. Usually they eat when it is put in front of them. If one walks away, the other will try to scalp what is left. We also house sit several dogs on occasion. We put down the food separating the dogs, but eventually the all figure it out.
        Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
        Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
        Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
        TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
        Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
        Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

you won't change feeding hierarchy with same sized bowls for dogs large and small.
          recommend you use appropriate sized bowls.
          Large dogs can't easily get their snout into small cat-size bowls.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by scotty score View Post
            with the larger dog, we would put her food in the basement where buddy can't go. ( can't get down those set of stairs )
            Anytime I hear these I cringe. Look up hip dysplasia in dogs. Large breed dogs need to have stairs limited. As a former kennel owner I can tell you the most effective feeding schedule is to put the food down. Sit in the middle of the feeders to police, and take away any left overs. Quickly everyone will learn to eat when food is provided. You can also feed multiple times a day and lessen the portions accordingly.

In The Ogio
            Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
            Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
            Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
            Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
            Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
            Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
            MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

We have 2 Labs. A 4 YO and a 4 month old. We try to feed them at the same time, 2 times per day.

If your little dog is a grazer his habits will have to change with a Lab around. Labs eat a "see" food diet.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your comments and time
                What's In The Bag
                Taylormade m1 9.5
                Taylormade m1 15
                Srixon 545 4- pw
                Cleveland rtx 2.0 CB 50,56,60
                Srixon v star
                Best round = 71

Comment

I have two dogs and they don't eat each others food. They are Terriers.

Comment

I have 2 dogs , one is a Corgi and the other a mutt I rescued from Kentucky. What I noticed when feeding, is they eat it fast and leave nothing as they know the other will eat it if they don't. We now feed them in those bowls that make it a little tougher to gobble from. I suppose if you have a grazer you need to lift the food off the floor and put it down again later...a pain for sure.
                    Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

We have two dogs a larger Labradoodle and a shorkie, my wife seems to collect them when I leave the house for any extended period of time. They are both grazers so we fill their bowls twice a day, sometimes they finish it other times they don't. They will even wait for people to come home before they eat sometimes. I am pretty sure the little dog, who is the youngest, learned these eating habits from the bigger dog.

Regarding the size of the bowl, the big dog prefers to eat out of the small bowl with only the 1/2 cup of food in it until it is done....he is a bit different.

Comment

My two are PBGV's and have been trained to eat in their own crate- I say "where are you supposed to be" and presto they go. The female always finishes first and heads over to the male's crate (i leave their crate's door open). Mule56 is right, you must have a sherriff as my female would eat all of the males. Very entertaining most days as she never gives up. The male is a nibbler so I pick it up as well if he doesn't eat it all at once.

Comment

Just hope the big dog doesn't eat the little dog.

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X