Collapse

Best shot I ever hit (in 20 years)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shot I ever hit (in 20 years)

This past weekend, I played golf with my twin brother in St. Thomas, and Duane (aka, forgedblade) played golf with his father-in-law in Cambridge.

Duane texted me, "the best knockdown shot of my life". He was playing a par 4, and his tee shot went deep into the woods. A shallow sand bunker guarded the front pin placement, and he was 100 yards out. When he assessed his situation, he had one of two choices:
    1. 15 yards (10 trees) deep into the woods - pitch laterally across into the fairway (the easy shot with an opening), don't advance the ball, then get up and down for a par, or a two-putt bogie
    2. 70 yards (50 trees) deep into the woods - hit a hard 4-iron knockdown off his back foot (to deloft the club), maintain the ball 2 inches above the ground for 100 yards, use the lip of the sand bunker to kill its excessive ball speed, and then land somewhere close.
    forgedblade executed Option #2 to perfection. Knockdown was a bullet staying 2 inches above the ground as it advanced 70 yards under all of the trees, and another 30 yards to the green. The ball hit the lip of the sand bunker dulling its velocity, then the ball popped up over the bunker and onto the green to within 5 feet of the pin.

Duane made the birdie putt.
    Last edited by TourIQ; Sep 12, 2017, 10:36 PM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Great shot Duane. I know you are proud of him Harry.
    Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

That shot should be in a movie or something.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Great shot! I hit one very similar this year but it was not planned the way it happened.

Comment

Incredible execution.....Tigeresque .

well done Duane !
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Sounds slightly lucky,as the saying goes the score card doesn't ask how you got it

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                Sounds slightly lucky,as the saying goes the score card doesn't ask how you got it
                if the shot wasn't planned out , I would agree. we've all gotten lucky breaks that turned out to be great results, but sounds like this was planned and executed to perfection. Perhaps a high risk option......and as they say" you have to be lucky to be good" or is that "good to be lucky"
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                  That shot should be in a movie or something.
                  or a test for the contestants on Big Break.
                  Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                  Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                  Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

^^^ well done FB.

The most satisfying memorable shots are those great recovery shots !
                    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays