Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

    hey nuts, im looking at both these sets i went to the sim today to play and practice and get some lessons.. ugh im looking to get better at ball striking and a good way to do this is to buy a set of forged clubs or thinner irons. Anyway! that really doesnt matter, what does is that im about an 8 handicap but dont know if i have the game to play the x-forged because they are quite a bit thinner then the 07 model and less forgiving as i noticed today. but i also tried the x22 tours which are a little bit more forgiving, but really dont know which to choose? does anyone have any experience with these new models? Or have any ideas on what i should do?

    Shaft wise im looking at probably KB Tours if that helps at all.
    In the Taylormade Staff Bag:

    Driver: Taylormade M1 10.5* w/ HZRDUS Red 65X
    3wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ HZRDUS Red 75X
    Hybrid: Taylormade M1 19* w/ HZRDUS Black 85X
    Irons: Taylormade Psi Tour (3-pw) w/ DG X100 TI
    Wedges: Taylormade EF (52,58) w/ DG X100 TI
    Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Counterbalance 37"


    Handicap +3

    Chriswilsongolf.ca

  • #2
    Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

    No shame in the X-22 Tours...I got fitted for both, and ended up with X-20 Tours in my bag.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

      Originally posted by chrisw
      hey nuts, im looking at both these sets i went to the sim today to play and practice and get some lessons.. ugh im looking to get better at ball striking and a good way to do this is to buy a set of forged clubs or thinner irons. Anyway! that really doesnt matter, what does is that im about an 8 handicap but dont know if i have the game to play the x-forged because they are quite a bit thinner then the 07 model and less forgiving as i noticed today. but i also tried the x22 tours which are a little bit more forgiving, but really dont know which to choose? does anyone have any experience with these new models? Or have any ideas on what i should do?

      Shaft wise im looking at probably KB Tours if that helps at all.
      Scracth, 5 HDCP, 10 HDCP, 15 HDCP....honestly Chris, means squat.

      The type of irons you select should really be geared to the type of game you have. Rather than running out and buying gear that might not be suited to your makeup, why not take advantage of Jeff and come down to get fit in the summer before dropping all that cash?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

        Originally posted by racmbs
        Scracth, 5 HDCP, 10 HDCP, 15 HDCP....honestly Chris, means squat.

        The type of irons you select should really be geared to the type of game you have. Rather than running out and buying gear that might not be suited to your makeup, why not take advantage of Jeff and come down to get fit in the summer before dropping all that cash?


        your probably right. but in my perspective i think how u play is a big factor becuase u dont want 25 handicaps playing a forged blade iron. they'll get frusterated and shoot over a 100 every round , while they should be playing bigger cavity backs.
        In the Taylormade Staff Bag:

        Driver: Taylormade M1 10.5* w/ HZRDUS Red 65X
        3wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ HZRDUS Red 75X
        Hybrid: Taylormade M1 19* w/ HZRDUS Black 85X
        Irons: Taylormade Psi Tour (3-pw) w/ DG X100 TI
        Wedges: Taylormade EF (52,58) w/ DG X100 TI
        Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Counterbalance 37"


        Handicap +3

        Chriswilsongolf.ca

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

          one would assume you are an 8 which is way above average and could play anything. but i do not know your strengths and weakness's in iron play. I can say that i know i prefer to lean on the side of forgiveness. We have a teaching pro that plays with us on myrtle beach trips and he played the x20's the last few years and is getting the x22 tours rather than x forged this season.
          I have only hit the x22 tours, not the x forged 09 (although i did demo the 07 last yr). For me the x22 tours are very very nice.
          PUSHING CLICGEAR 3.5
          BAG SM C-130 S...
          WEAPONS...
          1W CALLAWAY GBB or m1 2017
          5-AW AP2 714
          3W TM M2
          HYB 20 TM AEROBURNER
          HYB 24 CALLAWAY RAZR HL
          SW 55 TM ATV
          LW 60 TM ATV
          PUTTER TM Spider Tour

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

            Originally posted by chrisw
            your probably right. but in my perspective i think how u play is a big factor becuase u dont want 25 handicaps playing a forged blade iron. they'll get frusterated and shoot over a 100 every round , while they should be playing bigger cavity backs.
            That's what I said above....more or less.

            Just because someone is a 25 HDCP doesn't mean they can't hit blades though....I've seen plenty 15-20 HDCP's playing blades and that wasn't their biggest problem. The issues they faced were a very poor short game which was costing them 20+ strokes per game as they couldn't get up and down.

            In any case, I still suggest being properly fit to see which style of iron would best suit your type hit down and through the ball.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

              In my opinion, play what you want to play.... I have heard many stories of high HC players learning with blades.... so... play what makes you happy...

              My lowest score last year was an 84, and I shot majority of my rounds last year in the 80's and low 90's, and I switched to last years X forged irons for this year and I am very excited and look forward in playing them.... thats all that matters, I am prepared to learn how to hit them this year, because last year my iron ball striking was terrible and I still shot in the 80's, my short game and straight drives really helped my score big time!!
              Ping G30/TFC
              X2Hot/Accra
              Speedline Classic 20*/V2
              G10/TFC
              CB2 6-GW/KBS
              Vokey SM4 54*, 58*/Spinners
              A011067

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

                Handicap is just a number. Like racmb's said I know guys that are 20+ and hit forged blades and i know guys that are scratch and play game improvement irons. Best example, Rocco Mediate, Probably +5 or better and plays X22 irons, not even the tour model. Its whatever works. If it helps you out I switched to the X-22 Tours this year from my 07 X-forged. I play to a 5 handicap, but lets face it everyone has their off days.
                Driver: Titleist 910 D3 9.5* w/ Oban Devotion 6 X
                Fwy: Titleist 910 F-D 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X
                Hybrid: Titleist 910 H 21* w/ Project X HB6
                Irons: Titleist 710 AP-2 4-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X-100
                Wedges: Titleist Vokey TVD 52*,56*,60* Custom Shop
                Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Heavy 35" w/ Iomic
                Bag: Titleist 14 way

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

                  Originally posted by chrisw
                  what does is that im about an 8 handicap but dont know if i have the game to play the x-forged because they are quite a bit thinner then the 07 model and less forgiving as i noticed today. but i also tried the x22 tours which are a little bit more forgiving, but really dont know which to choose? does anyone have any experience with these new models? Or have any ideas on what i should do?
                  Why not get a new set of 2007 X-Forged and save a bunch of coin.
                  Chris, why do you need an iron model from year 2009?
                  The money you save will help pay for the reshaft and grip upgrade.
                  I put my new set together last spring with heads from 2003/04 model.
                  The ball doesn't care if the iron head is a 2007 or 2009 model year.
                  Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                  Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                  Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

                    Just don't buy Callaway and you'll instantly play better. Looking down at those Star Jones top lines is probably making you shudder on your back swing and through the ball.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

                      Originally posted by setter02
                      Just don't buy Callaway and you'll instantly play better. Looking down at those Star Jones top lines is probably making you shudder on your back swing and through the ball.
                      huh? the x forged top lines are thinner than almost anything out there? Zuno's and titleist are thicker than them? I think too many people only think of the old cally with thick tops.
                      heck even my fusion irons are not that thick.

                      09 x forged top view:
                      PUSHING CLICGEAR 3.5
                      BAG SM C-130 S...
                      WEAPONS...
                      1W CALLAWAY GBB or m1 2017
                      5-AW AP2 714
                      3W TM M2
                      HYB 20 TM AEROBURNER
                      HYB 24 CALLAWAY RAZR HL
                      SW 55 TM ATV
                      LW 60 TM ATV
                      PUTTER TM Spider Tour

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

                        Originally posted by sharkhark
                        huh? the x forged top lines are thinner than almost anything out there? Zuno's and titleist are thicker than them? I think too many people only think of the old cally with thick tops.
                        heck even my fusion irons are not that thick.

                        09 x forged top view:
                        yeah he had me confused on that one too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: X22 Tours Or 09 X Forged?

                          My thoughts are to play the most forgiving iron you can stand to look down on. Why make the game any harder than it is?

                          With that said, I played TA Silverback MB's before and loved them, then I switched to the R7 TPs. The TPs are more forgiving and hit the ball higher which is what I was looking for (higher flight). They arent quite as workable as the MBs were, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

                          If you want to shoot lower rounds with less work, the X-22's are probably the way to go as long as you like the look of them. If you really want to work on your ball striking, you could always buy a loose MB Blade single iron to hit at the range. If you want more of a 'players iron' in the bag, and more workability, then by all means the X Forged is the way to go. Keep in mind, more workability also means more when you DONT want it.

                          I would agree with Harry though...I would go with the previous years model and save a bunch of $$.
                          "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

                          Comment

                          TGN Spotlight

                          Collapse

                          • TrGo
                            TGN Giveaway: The FedEx Cup 2017 Fantasy
                            TrGo
                            I'm excited to announce our latest TGN Contest Giveaway for the 2017 FedEx Cup.

                            The winner will receive a brand new Scotty Cameron Newport Putter!!

                            Here are the rules:
                            • Reply
                            ...
                            Aug 21, 2017, 11:53 AM
                          • TrGo
                            TGN To-Do List
                            TrGo
                            Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and suggestions on improvements to TGN. We've been able to implement many of the changes and still have a lot on the go. It would be great if this thread...
                            Aug 5, 2017, 11:38 AM

                          Join The TGN Email List

                          Collapse


                          TGN Sponsors




                          TGN Sponsors

                          Working...
                          X