Collapse

When to move to Blades?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to move to Blades?

Maybe I'm a little ahead of myself here but I am curious. I believe at the end of last summer my handicap was set at 27 or 28. This will be my second season playing this year and I plan to take more lessons and practice more. I believe I understand the fundamentals of the swing a lot more from my winter reading and research. I'm putting plenty of pressure on myself to lower that handicap and become much more consistent. My question is at what point or what handicap should one move to Blades from Game Improvement clubs? Also, what is the main benefit of blades? I'm assuming it they have the ability to work the ball more.

I know some of these questions must be silly to some of you but I'm kinda learning everything as I go here. Damn Addictive Game

Re: When to move to Blades?

My honest opinion is never. "Players" cavity back irons are just as workable as blades, but a whole lot more fogiving. A club like Taylor Made's new Tour Preferred Iron is the same head size(heel to toe) as their TP MB blades, but have a cavity back to make them easier to hit. I've played them for half a season since switching from the MB's and havn't lost any control or workablilty. All I've gained is forgivness on mishits. There are lots of players clubs out there like the AP2's from Titleist, the new Mizuno's, Callaway X-Forged, and so on. Blades are slowly going away, even Sergio has switched.
    What's in the Bag?
    Driver: TaylorMade M1, Diamana White 70X
    FW Wood: Callaway Alpha 816 3W, HZRDUS Yellow 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 917 H2, AD-DI 105X
    Irons: TaylorMade PSI Tour 4-PW, Nippon Modus Tour 120
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
    Putter: SC Select Newport 2.5

Comment

You can find a lot of the varying opinions here on blades vs. GI irons by doing a search. The topic has been discussed at great lengths.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
      TM SLDR 10.5*
      TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
      TM Rescue 22*
      4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
      Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
      Ping Ketch
      Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

My mistake. I should have said when is the time to switch to a players iron I guess. I was ignorant of the difference between the two. I'm assuming that there is a distinct difference between them and my game improvement irons. I've actually been doing research and, when the time comes, am impressed with Mizuno. However my main question was what would ones handicap or skill level get to before on makes the switch?

Comment

I agree..... never!

With muscle back irons so advanced there really is no reason to switch to a blade in my opinion. I see players on PGA Tour have a hard time hitting blades, so we definately have no reason to... LOL
          Ping G30/TFC
          X2Hot/Accra
          Speedline Classic 20*/V2
          G10/TFC
          CB2 6-GW/KBS
          Vokey SM4 54*, 58*/Spinners
          A011067

Comment

You added that you meant a players type. I would strongly suggest at your high handicap level that you try and enjoy the game until you have thru practice and lessons, a somewhat consistent swing.
            Go game improvement until you are regularly under 100. Once that 90's threshold you could break looks possible, then consider a more player like style.
            A game improvement in my opinion will keep you having fun and give some forgiveness until then. Even with GI irons you still can tell a bad from a good swing. good luck.
            PING CAMO BAG...
            WEAPONS...
            SRIXON ZX5 10.5
            3W TM M2
            HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
            5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
            LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
            3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Let me be the first to strongly disagree cause ... why not?

I don't believe in "forgiveness" unless we're talking low profile, hugely bottom weighted clubs designed to get the ball airborn. Shallow cavity backs are no more forgiving than muscle backs.

Get a $100 set of blades and learn what solid strikes feel like and enjoy the feedback of off centre hits. You'll learn quick.
              Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by WILL

I don't believe in "forgiveness" unless we're talking low profile, hugely bottom weighted clubs designed to get the ball airborn. Shallow cavity backs are no more forgiving than muscle backs.

Get a $100 set of blades and learn what solid strikes feel like and enjoy the feedback of off centre hits. You'll learn quick.
                plus, hitting blades really did improve my ballstriking immensely over this winter
                Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhark
                  You added that you meant a players type. I would strongly suggest at your high handicap level that you try and enjoy the game until you have thru practice and lessons, a somewhat consistent swing.
                  Go game improvement until you are regularly under 100. Once that 90's threshold you could break looks possible, then consider a more player like style.
                  A game improvement in my opinion will keep you having fun and give some forgiveness until then. Even with GI irons you still can tell a bad from a good swing. good luck.
                  Thanks good information. I started to break 100 regularly by the end of last season. I'm hoping to be able to break 90 fairly often by mid summer.

Either way though, with any type of player irons, do you seem to feel the feed back from the club will be better than hitting game improvement at this stage of skill level.
                  Last edited by Likes The Links; Mar 9, 2009, 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged posts

Comment

I feel the feedback will be benefitial and more real. I've always believed you deserve what you get in golf. If your swing produces a sh*t shot, you deserve a sh*t shot. Why would you ever want a club to coddle a crappy move? So you can maintain that crappy move forever?

If you want to learn to play well, get the blades. If you want to hang with your friends and enjoy the sun, play shovels and have some fun.

Just my .02
                    Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Move when you want to

Never sell your old clubs until you are happy with the new ones!
                      Cheers,
                      Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_33
                        plus, hitting blades really did improve my ballstriking immensely over this winter
                        But you weren't a 25+ handicap. I wouldn't get all giddy about possibly bagging a set at that level handicap. May seem to be ragging on you, but get a grasp of just what you have for a swing first before you try to make the game harder for yourself all over again. Player's blades are a different monster all together compared for GI irons.

Comment

Originally posted by setter02
                          But you weren't a 25+ handicap. I wouldn't get all giddy about possibly bagging a set at that level handicap. May seem to be ragging on you, but get a grasp of just what you have for a swing first before you try to make the game harder for yourself all over again. Player's blades are a different monster all together compared for GI irons.
                          oo good point, lol, looks lie i was too quick to talk
                          Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

I feel the feedback will be benefitial and more real. I've always believed you deserve what you get in golf. If your swing produces a sh*t shot, you deserve a sh*t shot. Why would you ever want a club to coddle a crappy move? So you can maintain that crappy move forever?

If you want to learn to play well, get the blades. If you want to hang with your friends and enjoy the sun, play shovels and have some fun.

Just my .02
                            Buddy.... I couldn't have said it better myself. Almost brought a tear to my eye....Almost.

Willy speaks the truth, at least in my opinion. If you wanna learn how to hit the centre of the face; or at least if you wanna know how it's supposed to feel... then nothing compares to the feedback of a pure blade. You definitely gotta have a consistent swing to use them to your full advantage. As an experiment this winter, for the first time in years; I purchased a set of players cavities. (Tourstage Z101's). I shafted them up and hit them against the Gauges. The Z's look exactly like blades at address. Within an hour of hitting them side by side; I went right back to the blades. There was no comparison. I just didn't get the feedback I feel I need to play my best. Nothing wrong with the Z's..... But they just ain't blades.

At the end of the day, play what you like, what looks good to you; what feels nice.... As a relative newcomer to the game, you don't need to rush. Work on grooving your swing....You'll know when you're ready to go to the next level with the sticks. When you feel that you're getting all your gonna get out of your current stix... then it's probably time.
                            MEMBER OF THE 07-09 and 11-16 RYDER CUP

Dans mon sac...
                            M2 9.5 w/ Attas 3 8X
                            Aeroburner TP 15*w/GD BB
                            Aeroburner TP 21HL w/Black Tie 8
                            Adams "Murdered" MB2's w/KBS tour black 5-GW
                            MD3 Satin 56-60
                            Odyssey #7CH "Lucky 777"

Member Club de Golf Cap-Rouge

Comment

Thanks everyone. Good info. My wife should thank you as I think you all just talked me out of buying those MP-60's I seen on sale

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X