Collapse

Recession Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recession Golf

I am not really sure where to post this thread so I'll start here.

Am I the only one who thinks that because of the current economic recession that golf course in the GTA will have to come down substantially on green fees this year? In particular the higher end courses like Angus Glen, Eagle’s Nest, Bondhead ect. I doubt we’ll see much, if any discounting from the munis and lower end courses. I think higher end club that won'tl be able to maintain the status quo with respect to green fees this year, and if thier management thinks otherwise I believe they are going to be in for a surprise. Additionally, I think these courses will be squeezed on the corporate side too as it will be very hard for the banks and other companies to justify the elaborate corporate tourneys that they may have been running over the past 3 years.

Anyway my point here being; I wonder if avid golfers will be able to benefit from this recession in the form of lower green fees. I would be curious to know if anyone who works in the industry directly has any thoughts on this matter.

Re: Recession Golf

Its a twisted dimension to a recession, but its generally NOT the upper-middle class and above who get hit hardest, so I think you won't see much change for the premium courses.

I DO think you're going to see more deals in the $60-$100 range courses though (Silver Lakes, St.A.V., etc). The people i know who golf Eagles Nest level courses with regularity will still be doing so.

The other dimension is that muni courses will be under more pressure to be self-funding since the municipals will have more revenue pressure due to falling tax revenue.

I'd be happy if Lakeview dropped something from their fee though, nobody ever complains about saving some coin
    In The Bag
    Wishon 919THI (11), Accra XT60
    Titleist 909F3 (15.5), Adila VooDoo Stiff
    Titleist 909H3 (19 & 21 deg), Adila VooDoo Stiff
    Nike Blades 4-PW, KBS Tour Shafts
    Wishon CX Micro Satin, 52,60, TT Dynalite Shafts
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Titleist ProV1

Comment

Lakeview will go up, I'll bet a cup of coffee on it. High end courses won't buckle but semis in the 60-90 will offer deals. If the recession continues into next year, all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker
        Lakeview will go up, I'll bet a cup of coffee on it. High end courses won't buckle but semis in the 60-90 will offer deals. If the recession continues into next year, all bets are off.
        Lakeview Definitely won't go down.

It will be interesting to see what happens with higher end courses. I think thier fees will come down too because their will be far less corporate stuff and many people who played these courses a few times a year might now maybe once.

Fees on many high end trackes have already been coming down or more deals being offered last year.

Comment

Originally posted by cldale
          Its a twisted dimension to a recession, but its generally NOT the upper-middle class and above who get hit hardest, so I think you won't see much change for the premium courses.

I DO think you're going to see more deals in the $60-$100 range courses though (Silver Lakes, St.A.V., etc). The people i know who golf Eagles Nest level courses with regularity will still be doing so.

The other dimension is that muni courses will be under more pressure to be self-funding since the municipals will have more revenue pressure due to falling tax revenue.

I'd be happy if Lakeview dropped something from their fee though, nobody ever complains about saving some coin
          I joined Priv. play for $99 this yr, the 2-4-1 coupon pays for itself and they gave me a dozen balls that I traded in to GT and payed a extra $5.00 for a dozen E6's.

There is a # of tracks I play with regularity such as ST.AV, S-Lakes, Copetown and the list goes on, so for 20% off a green fee it's a good deal.

It'll pay for itself within 7 rounds and when I'm up in Sudbury I play Timberwolf at least 3-4 times when I'm home so that's about a $50 savings in itself.

Not sure yet on GTA as the math is not adding up yet for that as I play a lot out at Osprey and a # of other tracks that aren't on there rotation.
          Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
          Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
          Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
          Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
          Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
          Pro V1x Left Dash
          Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
          Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

i think you'll see prices stay the same if not rise, with the odd occassional special to start the season. Courses have not yet felt the impact of the economy in my opinion, except maybe a decline in memberships. As we move more into the summer, the courses may change there tune.

Comment

Originally posted by hannah
              I joined Priv. play for $99 this yr, the 2-4-1 coupon pays for itself and they gave me a dozen balls that I traded in to GT and payed a extra $5.00 for a dozen E6's.

There is a # of tracks I play with regularity such as ST.AV, S-Lakes, Copetown and the list goes on, so for 20% off a green fee it's a good deal.

It'll pay for itself within 7 rounds and when I'm up in Sudbury I play Timberwolf at least 3-4 times when I'm home so that's about a $50 savings in itself.

Not sure yet on GTA as the math is not adding up yet for that as I play a lot out at Osprey and a # of other tracks that aren't on there rotation.
              I look forward to a couple sales calls at Osprey this summer Tom.
              In The Bag
              Wishon 919THI (11), Accra XT60
              Titleist 909F3 (15.5), Adila VooDoo Stiff
              Titleist 909H3 (19 & 21 deg), Adila VooDoo Stiff
              Nike Blades 4-PW, KBS Tour Shafts
              Wishon CX Micro Satin, 52,60, TT Dynalite Shafts
              Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
              Titleist ProV1

Comment

Originally posted by cldale
                I look forward to a couple sales calls at Osprey this summer Tom.
                Those are mental health days for me Chad
                Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                Pro V1x Left Dash
                Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Dow shot up 379 and TSX went up 313, there's a glimmer of hope.

If the economy recovers, I don't mind paying more for green fees

Comment

Originally posted by esidirop
                    i think you'll see prices stay the same if not rise, with the odd occassional special to start the season. Courses have not yet felt the impact of the economy in my opinion, except maybe a decline in memberships. As we move more into the summer, the courses may change there tune.
                    I thought they were feeling it last year. Many discounted greens fees.

Comment

Well definitely corporate tournaments in general are on the decline -- there is too much risk involved and not enough funds to throw elaborate events. This probably will effect the higher end courses more.

I bet the higher end courses start throwing down some crazy deals by the end of the summer. The Lionhead and Wooden Sticks type deals will be plentiful.
                      Putter: Ben Hogan "The Hawk" BHB11 by Bettinardi
                      Driver: Callaway FT-I
                      Woods: Mizuno Forged T-Zoid 3 wood, Ben Hogan C455 5 wood
                      Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5
                      Wedges: Callaway X-12 gap wedge, Cleveland Tour Action 588 BeCu sand wedge, Cleveland Tour Action 900 lob wedge

***Most clubs have been SWANKtified***

Comment

Corps are going to continue to throw events, it's a given, they may not have the money per say, but they can write a good portion of it off. As for higher end courses charging less, won't happen. They will be within reason of the same prices last year, but they will try to offer more to make it a better overall value.

Same will go for tournaments. You won't see as many 144 full shotguns as realistically, most can't fill a 144 tourny with people who really want to be there. More 72's will be played which won't close down the course completely to greens fee players.

Lakeview won't drop their fees one bit, if anything, I could see the dicks putting it up $10 primetime this summer.

Comment

The Mulligan Tour has booked Eagle's Nest in early May (3rd) I believe and the cost is $145. $20 goes to prizes and cash pot so they are still charging $125 for real early in the season. This does not sound to me that the "deals" are flying off the shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by setter02
                            dicks
                            Hey, WE can finally use THAT word now!!???
                            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

The market will decide. If the courses are empty. They'll run promotions.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X